Genesis 1:12, “The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds …” So flowers began. Now what might God have thought would be good reasons for man to have flowers?
- They are pretty, even beautiful. Unlike animals, some of which are ugly.
- They cause man to be healthy. Don’t see how? Try growing them while sitting on the couch watching T.V. Won’t work, get that body moving!
- They add to a nation’s economy. For example, transport costs to get the roses from point of growth to WalMart in Cleveland.
- They draw the attention of bees. Pollinating fruit trees in the process.
- They beckon hummingbirds. Giving me a flutter in the tummy as I watch the flutter of their wings.
- They make loving gifts. The gift which many little boys trade for mommy’s kisses.
- They make loving gifts. The gift with which many big boys say “I’m sorry.”
- They pose gracefully and sit still. Traits appreciated by still-life artists everywhere.
- They make fabulous door prizes. Envied by all the others who received a MacDonald’s gift certificate.
- And, the grand finale – They give me a peek into the mind of God the Creator, who says, “My thoughts are not your thoughts.” God’s thoughts – giving dandelions to boys to blow into the wind, daisies to girls to wish upon, violets to women to prove their green thumbs, and roses to men to express their romance.
Oh, you might say, “I don’t believe that was in God’s thoughts.” Maybe not. Maybe he just thought I’ll give them flowers and see what they will do with them. Either way, I think flowers are a pretty significant addition to the wonders of the world!
(Written to fulfill prompt from Daily Post: Write a list of anything, my choice.)