I LOVE YOU TRULY,TRULY, DEAR

Krista @kristastevens, your prompt suggests we recall and write about a special song. I am so glad to do that on this special day. Let me explain, dear blogging friends. Hop back with me to a wedding in the small town (pop. 400) of Campo, Colorado. It is 8:00 on Sunday morning. What a time for a wedding! Another story sometime. Listen in “I Love You Truly, Truly Dear.” Sam and Oneta are getting married. I’m sure you won’t find the song on the radio anymore. Neither will you likely hear “Always.” You see they are in my heart. I think they got stuck there back in 1953.

The first of this month, I posted “Wonder of Wonders,” ”https://onetahayes.com/2015/07/06/wonder-of-wonders/ regarding my memories of early years of my love story. Since then I have been wondering what I would write today, Sammy’s birthday, eighty-six years old. Me? I’m not so far behind at eighty-one. The Sammy I wrote about in “Wonder…” was twenty-four. Now at eighty-six, do I love him? My answer is, “Now I know what love is, and I love him.” At twenty-four, I was bewitched by him. Oh, he was dashing, dapper, and darling; today he is cherry, chipper and charming. Well, he was that way – most of the time, and today he is that way – most of the time! What I have discovered is the way he is when he is not that way!

I now know how he is when suffering great loss.
I now know how he deals with cancer—twice.
I now know how he deals with a less than perfect (?) wife.
I now know how he puts every other family member before himself.
I know how his toes twitch when he watches Sense and Sensibility.
I know how he plays nursemaid to a sick wife.
I know how he carries the sleeping child and tucks her into bed.
I know how he shares his chocolate bars with the little ones.
I know how he deals with disappointment.
I know how he rises above great temptations.
I know how he sanitizes the bloody cuts caused by whacking his arm on a tire tool.
I know how his face musses up as he tries not to cry when he sees the American flag.

So, do I love him? Yes, I love him. Happy Birthday to my sweetheart. “I Love You Truly. Truly Dear.”

This entry was posted in aging, long marriage and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to I LOVE YOU TRULY,TRULY, DEAR

Dear Oneta,
    What a Joy the Blogging adventure became when we could make new contacts and friends. I’m so thankful to the Lord. This blog today is so personally inspiring. Happy Birthday to your beloved and may together you continue to find the true reality of what marriage and His Love in and through the union is meant to be. For Dave and I the journey is 45 years but what you have expressed touches my heart and sends it soaring. thank you!

2. oneta hayes says:

Faye thank you for your enthusiasm. You are a joy. I just responded on your “restore” post. I value our blogging experience.

What a tender birthday greeting. It put me in mind of Wendell Berry’s wonderful poem, “The Blue Robe.” He’s writing of his wife, but no matter. I suspect the feelings are much the same for you and your beloved.

How joyful to be together, alone
    as when we first were joined
    in our little house by the river
    long ago, except that now we know

each other, as we did not then;
    and now instead of two stories fumbling
    to meet, we belong to one story
    that the two, joining, made. And now

we touch each other with the tenderness
    of mortals, who know themselves:
    how joyful to feel the heart quake

at the sight of a grandmother,
    old friend in the morning light,
    beautiful in her blue robe!

4. oneta hayes says:

Thank you, shoreacres, for sending the lovely poem. Yes, I do understand. So glad you could identify my post with that of Berry’s. I’m honored. There is another poem I once found that I loved. It was a light-hearted piece about how different the two had become. I’ve often thought of it, but cannot find it. It ends in this way – “I like coffee, and he likes tea; but I like him and he likes me.”
    I guess I haven’t really tried since the googling era is here. Maybe I should try again. Anyway does it ring any bells?

5. Wait. I need a tissue because right now I can’t see through these tears flooding my eyes. Thank you, Oneta. Now I know what love is. Truly.

6. oneta hayes says:

Thanks, Roni. I am blessed.

Thank you very much, unfettered preacher. I appreciate the likes and comments you have left on my posts. I have visited your site and I plan to be a follower. As with other members of God’s children, we can draw encouragement and inspiration from each other. And…sometimes we can find just good ole common sense!
      Blessings to you.

Ms Oneta! This is too precious, thank you ever so much!! My husband (of only 35 years, compared to you two!) and I are going to see my parents (also octogenarians) tomorrow. Thank you for reminding me another reason why we stay married. Yes, please by all means, continue to write your blog and share you experience and you wisdom! And God bless you two!! Dawn

Thank you so much. I think my son got married in 1980; that would be about the same as you. They have a good marriage also – God blessed. However, my second son was not so fortunate. He had to suffer and accept a decision by his wife to divorce him. After 21 years she just didn’t want to be married. I loved her dearly, still do. May you be blessed with good health, long life, and much love.

8. What a wonderful love story. I’m 21 years into my marriage and find that I look forward to growing old with him as we learn to love each other better.

9. oneta hayes says:

mariegriffith, we are in a time when twenty-one years is an indication of two people who are committed to weather storms together. Barring abuse, together is better than being in storms alone. As you can see in the previous comment, 21 years was the year my daughter-in-law left. I miss her, and love her still. Blessing to you, dear.

10. Eavan says:

This is beautiful. Thank you for writing it.

Thank you very much. And thanks for following. I believe I clicked a follow on yours yesterday, if I didn’t I will do so. See you more often.

• Eavan says:

I don’t have a blog, but I found yours because you liked a comment I made on insanitybytes blog. I’ve much enjoyed reading some of your reflections.

Sorry you don’t have a blog. I was sure I remembered something about you because your unusual name stuck with me. I do enjoy reading insanitybytes. She is a woman of courage and common sense. Wish you well.