THREE LETTERS

Prompt from Michele W. August 8—Write a letter to my 14-year-old self.  Then write to the “self” I will be in twenty years.  Also I’m adding a third letter from my future self to my present self.

Letter Number One to fourteen-year-old Oneta.

There was a political question posed to Jeb Bush who is a candidate for the Republican nomination for President.  This is the question,  “Knowing what you know now, would you have gone into Iraq?”  I think that is an inane question.  Our choices and behaviors are based on what we know at the time we make them, not on what we know ten years down the road.  With that in mind, Oneta, I want you to know you were pretty wise in most of the decisions you have made in your fourteen year earthly existence.

I remember your Freshman initiation day.  It was the day they made the freshmen wear an onion around their necks.  As  you were walking into the building some big sophomore guy told you that you had to take a bite of your onion, kneel before him, and say some chant before you could go into the building.  Suddenly a Knight in Shining Armor (a senior) came along and nullified the edict of the sophomore!  How do you spell relief?  SENIOR!  I can now tell you that there are many more “lucky” coincidences that you will experience.  You didn’t really believe in “luck” then, and neither do I now.  Some people say its “an angel sitting on my shoulder.”  Whatever!  I give God thanks for those “lucky” breaks.

Letter Two to Me twenty years hence:

Dear Me,  So now you know that what you believed was Truth.  Truth said, “I go to prepare a place for you and if I go, I will come again and receive you unto myself…”  (paraphrase Jesus, John 14:1-3).  There is nothing I can tell you that you don’t know.  I only have questions.   Is it really beyond description?  Have you seen Mom and Daddy yet?  What about Jesus?  Can you be in his presence when you want to be?  Did I face death boldly like David implies in the 23rd Psalm?  “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil.”  Or, perhaps I arrived by way of the Rapture—the hope of every saint.  (1st Thessalonians 4:16-17)  Oh, Dear Me, what is it like in eternity?

Letter Three from the Eternal Me to the Present Day Me:

Dear Oneta.  To keep this letter short, I’ll just say, “Keep your chin up and face the future with anticipation.  I tell you, You ain’t seen nothing yet!”

This entry was posted in aging and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to THREE LETTERS

1. Yinglan says:

Good advice you gave to your fourteen-year-old self and it must had been embarrassing to have to wear an onion on the first of high school. I’m glad I didn’t have to do it.

Yes, Yinglan, embarrassing enough for me to remember it all these years, but especially so because of the nice senior who came along. I’m surprised that I have forgotten his name. Wearing an onion pales beside some of the more dangerous and stupid events that passed for initiation in more recent years, particularly the downing of alcohol. I think many schools banned these kinds of “welcoming” parties. Good!

2. Oneta, you wrote such a timely word! Recently my grandfather passed and it is the first time I have allowed myself to feel the hurt and frustration and looking forward to Heaven that death of a loved one brings. I’m still young but letters two and three greatly touched me. They made me miss you too. Please know you are leaving an impression on people you don’t even know with this blog. Thank you for writing.

Thanks Rebecca. I’m almost sure I replied to this post before, but can’t find it. I probably pushed the wrong button some place. Anyway two “thanks” are better than none – or one. Yes, I have missed your old landmark stories, possibly others also. I’ll watch for more. It is hard to keep one’s focus on the bliss that awaits when it hurts so much to lose our dear friends and family. But I am thoroughly convinced we are eternal beings.

I do like the refrain running through each of the letters: “You ain’t seen nothin’ yet.” For good or for ill, events have proved that true time and again in my life. It does add a certain piquancy to things!

Yes, shoreacres, it does spike one’s interest in what may come next. There is a scripture that says something like “we move from glory to glory.” I find that an interesting thought. There are plenty of stumbles on the way, but when one shakes them off she generally finds she can get to moving again.

• shoreacres says:

Here’s an amusing bit of proof for your assertion. Last night, I glanced at my WordPress stats, and discovered a clutch of hits on a post from three years ago. Curious, I looked at the list of referrers, and found the same number of clicks on a site I didn’t recognize.

When I went over to explore, I finally discovered that the link to my blog was hidden inside a quotation from the post. But here’s the funny thing — the fellow who had linked to my blog on his Tumblr blog is a big-time sports guy. Among other things, he founded the site Deadspin.

Of all the things I never expected, finding my blog linked on Deadspin is right up there. As the saying goes, we never can tell. Thank goodness! Not knowing what’s coming allows for the occasional surprise in life.

shoreacres, you sent me searching into unknown territory. Deadspin big deal! You may have received quite a bit of publicity through them. I’m sure if anyone were exposed to you, they were hooked. Thanks for the response.

I have been part of an amazing all day State Gathering of God’s People. Thought I would comment here that when you are 60+ in age you are like a GENERAL as you journey life’s pathway. It in effect means you can then handle the ‘Unexpected’ the present and have big dreams for the future .You have life EXPERIENCE. No amount of money or information can exceed this for bounty and fullness of life. Blessings x

Faye, I was watching a bit of TV with my husband a while ago. John Stossel had a program he called the American Dream (I think) anyway he had guests on who had made a fortune in money. I commented that he should interview people like me – not much money but a life dream in other things of value. I’m blessed much beyond money. (But I wouldn’t turn that down.) I know you know what I’m talking about.