PETE AND AMY STORY #3

I promised someone another story set in the pre-World War II days, so here goes.  Got your rear view glasses on.  Look in my memory bank.

Pete—burning tumble weeds out of fence rows, being careful not to burn the posts.    Amy—catching two hens, wringing their necks, dipping them in scalding water and plucking the feathers.

Pete—beaming with pride about his straight plow rows.   Amy—dashing into the house to pull down the blinds before the dust storm got there.

Pete—re-plowing field edges that the dust storm ruined.  Amy—clearing the wasps out of the windows.

Pete—hearing that the grasshoppers were awful down south a ways.  Amy—ordering baby chicks from the catalog.

Pete—giving a shrill whistle for the cows to come home.  Amy—filling the rough walls with pads of newspapers so her wallpaper would look smooth.

Pete and Amy—going to town to see who was there.

Pete and Amy—singing in a quartet.

Pete and Amy—taking their kids to church.

Pete and Amy—feeding anyone who dropped by.

Pete and Amy—believing in me.

Notice the gender roles.  Yes, I was raised that way!  But did you also notice the  “do together” times?  A valuable pre-World War 2 tradition.  Mine was the generation of “working” women.  Sometimes I think, “Who am I kidding?”

This entry was posted in gender roles and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to PETE AND AMY STORY #3

I love this! Yes, PLEASE continue sharing these also!!

2. FayeRoots says:

I love snippet blogs like your. Does not take a lot of time to read but a trip to some of the past experiences which resonate as both truth and beauty. Thank you

Love snippet blogs like Pete and Amy. Do not take long to read but have the impact of bringing memories and times past both significant and inspiring. Thank you!

4. Yinglan says:

I enjoyed this, Oneta. I watch a lot of documentaries about the pre-depressions/WWII days but I guess watching a documentary is not the same as actually experiencing it. Looking forward to more. 🙂

“Going to town to see who was there” — oh, didn’t that one make me laugh! And yes, the chicken-plucking brought back some memories, as well as feeding anything that moved.

All that talk of plowing put me in mind of a friend’s new post, about a plowing bee! We’re used to thinking of barn raisings and quilting bees, but a plowing bee is a neat way of fusing traditional gender roles — check out the pink tractor!

6. oneta hayes says:

I’m glad you liked that line. It was the most difficult part of the piece. I changed it three or four times, Your enjoyment is reward for me. I did check out the plowing bee. There were lots of tractors involved, weren’t there? And, yes, the pink with the woman and child was a bit frivolous. I tend to think the day was planned for fun and if work “happened,” that was like adding onions to the hot dog – didn’t have to have it, but it added to the menu. .

7. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, did your parents also put newspaper under rugs for padding? I read about that in A LANTERN IN HER HAND.

Judy, I don’t remember having rugs except for what we called hoop rugs. They were crocheted out of strips of cloth cut from old dresses or feed sacks. I believe I sometimes participated in that task, cutting cloth into about two inch strips. We had linoleum floor covers. I need to read A LANTERN IN HER HAND. It would probably stir more memories for me.

8. judyjourneys says:

Your mentioning feed sacks prompted a beautiful memory I have of a dress made from a feed sack. I think I’ll write it up for a future blog post. Thanks. This hadn’t crossed my mind in a long time.

9. oneta hayes says:

I used a phrase in a speech like this: “I would love to be as proud as I once was in the dress with big puffed sleeves, made out of feed sacks with puppies and cats, and fancy hats.” Warm memories. Hope you do write of your childhood times now that I have refreshed your memory.

10. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, have you stopped following me on purpose? It’s all right if you have. I am asking because my husband is having a problem getting his following request to go through on his computer.

11. oneta hayes says:

No, Judy, I just pulled up your blog via e-mail. I think. Maybe I found your on a tread where I had followed someone else’s comment. I’ll check…be back……. Yes, I received you on my e-mail. Seems to have come in this afternoon. All looks good on this end.

12. oneta hayes says:

Judy, I don’t understand either. I assumed I was getting all your new posts. I went over to your site and see that you have posted a “seventh knock” that I have not read; therefore, I must not have received it on e-mail like all the others (the knocks) which I remember well I moved over to my followers and you are listed with a follow however, some of my contacts are “following” rather than “follow” so maybe you should be marked “following.” I don’t know what RSS is. I have only tried to un-follow one time. I failed because I still get that e-mail. I’m curious as to whether that person is just below you or above you and I got on the wrong line. That’s my best guess. Anyway I’m going back to your place and mark the follow again right now. We’ll see what happens. I know your comments are coming through to me, but maybe your new posts are not. But the seventh know is the only one I see that I missed. So long for a minute.

13. oneta hayes says:

Report again. I went to your site. It had the little box which indicated I was “follow” I click it and it changed to “following” and said I would now be getting e-mails, etc. Then I went to my list of followers and it still says “follow” instead of “following” so I don’t know whether we are fixed or not. If you remember, next time you publish a new post, throw me a note somewhere (this Pete & Amy is fine) and I watch for it. And I checked to see if I might have got on the wrong line is trying to un-follow the blog I mentioned. It was far from you. So that doesn’t explain anything.

• judyjourneys says:

Thank you for doing all of that checking, Oneta. I got an email at 7:02 saying that you are now following me. My nephew follows me via RSS. He said it works like a syndicated newspaper. But I do not get any info as to who is following me that way. My husband has tried several times to follow me, and he never gets my posts directly. I always have to forward them to him. The reason you were getting my comments is that I am following you, which does show on my “Blogs I Follow” list. That’s enough for tonight!