STRINGS TO MY HEART (Part 1)

To my Children in Decades Past:  What a coincidence that you were near my heart for nine months as you grew and I nourished you in numbers and words—the same amount of time I carried my own children near my heart as they grew and I nourished them in flesh and blood.  (Psalm 139:13 …you knitted me in my mothers womb…)  Well, dear children, in those nine months you tied strings to my heart.

Most of you moved on giving your loyalty to another teacher, quickly bonding with her/him as you did with me.  You are all about 35 to 60 years old now and you might occasionally sit with friends and relatives saying something like this:

“Do you remember that teacher we had in fourth grade who was so nice.”  (Oops, did you say grumpy?)

Or some might say, “I can’t think of that teacher’s name—you know, the one who wore a formal and a motorcycle helmet to school one day.  She was trying to show us that we should dress appropriately for some reason.  I’ve forgotten what.”  (Me too, I remember doing it but I don’t remember why.)

Or, “In the first grade we would sit in a row on the book shelves.  We moved up one at a time while she checked then we moved back to our seats, another would scoot over to be checked.”  (All kids loved watching me grade their buddy’s papers.  Learned more that way than when I graded their own paper.  Can’t you hear the critics yelling now?)

Or,  “In second grade every day we sang ‘This is the day that the Lord hath made, we will be glad and rejoice in it.’ Do you remember her?”  (Guess I couldn’t sing that song with them now.)

Or,  “She never did believe that Chucky stole that money, but he did.”  (Yeah, I finally had to give up in face of the evidence.)

Those are some of the things you might say about me if you remember me at all.  For most, I belong to a string that you have cut at your end and let go.  But I remember some things about you also and it will be my turn next time.  Join me for Part 2 in coming days.

——-This blog was inspired by Debra, In My Minds Eye, as she recounts the beginning of her school year.

11 Responses to STRINGS TO MY HEART (Part 1)

1. Oneta, you do me a great honor. I am inspired by your sweet heart. I know you were and are an astounding teacher.

2. Vibrant says:

Were you a teacher Neta?

My parents are teachers and a lot of people in my family are teachers. I respect teachers a lot.

It’s a beautiful read.
    Anand 🙂

Yes, Vibrant, I long ago retired, however. Retired from elementary and Jr High in 1987. Then spent about twenty more years as part time, adjunct in colleges as Reading Specialist and Christian Education. Wide range, but nothing bonds like teaching the little ones. And thanks for the comment.

Beautiful reflection. My husband David was also a teacher. My experience was as Religious Education Teacher – only one 1/2 hour per class a week, yet memories will resound for life(surely we can’t be and do and let God DO as we did in the past. Thank you. Looking forward to Part 2.

Thanks Faye. Are you acquainted with the scripture, I think in Titus, that speaks of the awesome responsibility that falls on those who track others? I’m babysitting tonight. I can find it later if you need it. Blessings on you.

I’m starting year 21 in my career as a school nurse. I’m now getting kids of the kids! Oh the stories! God bless you, you wonderful teacher!

5. oneta hayes says:

Yes, we can certainly be entertained or heart broken! Either way our influence on children packs a Phillip. Be blessed with much wisdom!

I have such fond memories of so many teachers: even my kindergarten teacher. She got engaged the year I had her, and we had a shower for her. I remember Mother and I gave her a set of those four, colored, Corning Ware bowls. I’d better stop, or I could go on forever. I’m so glad I went to school when I did.

7. oneta hayes says:

And I’m glad I taught when I did. It was the beginning of a very turbulent change in education. I was in the vanguard of things that give me grief now. For example giving grades based on effort rather than academic achievement. I could argue for that but it ill prepares one for the competition that comes outside the protection of schools. Sounds so compassionate but turns out weaklings. I now believe students live up to their teacher’s expectations. I will say,however, that I see evidence of some very good teaching in my little ones.