SHOPPING – POTPOURRI STYLE

Cannot people realize how large an income is thrift.  – Cicero

Garage sales, thrift stores, auctions, consignment – bring “em on!  When I buy new I start with the dollar store, dollar general, Big Lots, Ross, ½ of ½ Surplus Sales.  Walmart and Cato are only for special events – like weddings and birthdays.

All right, I am exaggerating a bit.  But truth is I don’t like shopping.  My mom made my clothes until I got married.  In fact she made my wedding dress and my maternity clothes.  My sister knows a lady who dresses almost entirely from Goodwill and other thrift stores.  That lady named Jane – the one who looks like a million dollars.  One day we saw Jane in the Salvation Army store.  My sister said, “There’s Jane over there.  I don’t want her to see me, it will embarrass her.”  I peeked  past the furniture section and there was Jane.  Immaculate, trend-following yet style-setting, every hair perfectly in place, holding a blouse over a skirt.  Now that’s shopping!   I hope I can someday put to use some  lessons from her.  She is my paragon of perfection!  Eclectic,  versatile, and selective! The expert potpourri style shopper!

(Writing101 assignment “Hook ’em with a quote.”)

This entry was posted in thrift and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to SHOPPING – POTPOURRI STYLE

1. koolitzable says:

You can make your own comfortable style..stay happy and keep blogging ☺️

I find you can take more chances when the cost is not so great. Today I put a purse in a give away bag. I was not sure about the color but I decided to take the chance since it was only 3 or 4 dollars. I used it a few times. Worked out pretty well but I don’t feel like I have to hang on to it because I paid a full price for it so I’m ready to pass it on. Fun to have a “specialty” item on occasion.

My name isn’t Jane, and I’m definitely not a trend-setter, but I’m almost exclusively second-hand! Which is actually pretty fun, considering God gave me this six-foot tall frame, so finding clothes has always been challenging anyway. Pretty cool to see what He leads me to in the thrift stores! Plus, I love when our shopping also does someone else good, like Goodwill or the Sally.

3. oneta hayes says:

Hi, not Jane. I do notice that sometimes God leads us to special bargains. A lot of people would laugh at that but the Holy Spirit is a Guide. A few years ago I had a very large hernia and it was so hard to find dresses that fit. I had a couple black ones that I had worn and worn. I was wondering what to do for new ones since dresses of any kind are hard to find (except very fancy). Most things are coordinates any more. Anyway I woke one morning and out of the blue I decided to go to a dress shop where I had found things occasionally. I went there and found four black dresses in the style I needed and they were very inexpensive. I bought three of them. I am convinced that was a direction from the Lord. Also I believe God is concerned about our finances when we use our finances as a steward for him.

4. I buy where there is sale, on thrift stores or second hand items. I believe that there’s no need to have costly items since there are many things more important than material things and we can use our money for some other good use. We can find quality and trending items with lower cost. Also, I don’t go for fashion but practicality as long as it is still usable and looks good, I go with it. 🙂

5. oneta hayes says:

I found a pair of shoes at Salvation Army that were so comfortable, looked almost new, a brand I had never heard of. I paid four dollars for them. I checked out the brand online and found there is only one place in town that carried that brand. I went there to see if I could find more that were so comfy and looked good. I found more – $115 and up. I’ll wait!

6. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, I grew up on hand-me-downs from the daughter of my mother’s childhood friend. I was glad to receive the box in the mail. I bought my own sewing machine (a converted treadle) when I was fifteen. From then on I made most of my clothes. It was fun making my daughter and me matching dresses from sheets. Now it is more economical for me to buy my clothes at a resale shop. I know how to shorten, lengthen, take out, take in, restyle. I do not even want to buy a new dress in a store and “worry” that I may run into someone else wearing the same dress somewhere sometime.

7. oneta hayes says:

My mother was a talented seamstress. Wish I could claim that title. I was the oldest of my generation and mother was great at sewing so I guess my clothes were passed on to someone. We lived in the country where there were no thrift stores like today. I remember when garage sales began to be popular in my town (OKC, Ok). My husband and I would take the Saturday paper and outline a tour of garage sales for the day. Great fun. You pointed out a new advantage to me – not running into anyone with the same clothes on. Thanks for your response.
    The poll thing was new for me. Did you respond? Very few did. It was fun to learn how to do it.

8. SarahC says:

Yes thrift and auction sure helped us restock when we moved. I do Yard sale in my yard and have just donated pvery nice clothes we were given by others for us to sell. I chose SAL as ours does specials all the time that we enjoyed as we started over here. Enjoying Visiting!