COFFEE INTERLUDE

The soldier had been on the bus six hours when the girl sat beside him.

“Where you going?” he asked.

“To college,” she replied.

Time was long;  they chatted the forty miles to her destination.

Driver called, “Unload for twenty minutes.”

“Coffee?” the soldier asked.

“Sounds good,” she answered.

Slipping into a booth, they ordered coffee.

“I hope you won’t have to go to Korea.”

“Might as well be me as anyone.”

More chat.  He drank his coffee; she sipped hers.

“All aboard.”

He was off to training; she to the classroom.

Why do I remember?  Because I hated coffee!

(writing101, word count story, 100 words)

This entry was posted in bus romance and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to COFFEE INTERLUDE

1. judyjourneys says:

Well, I must say, Oneta, I did not expect that ending!

2. oneta hayes says:

Thanks for comment. It was my one attempt at drinking coffee. My good deed to my country! I doubt that the young man had any reason to remember!

Thank you. I like this short story. Thoughtful.

I love the phrase “traveling companion,” and what it represents. I still remember several people I traveled with for shorter or longer times, even though I never knew or don’t remember most of their names.

I can’t quite wrap my mind around not liking coffee, but I did catch that he drank while you sipped — I never expected that would be the reason!

shoreacres, coffee is big at my house, but only by my husband. Sounds like you must love it. I wish I liked it. It seems a great way to humor my taste buds without all the calories. I used to travel by bus a lot. Met some interesting characters. I haven’t read today’s writing101 assignment but I caught a glimpse of it – something about a series of vignettes. I’ll go back and read again. Might be appropriate for other bus encounters.

5. oneta hayes says:

Pancake Bunnykins, I went through a Sonic drive in a few weeks ago and asked them for a lemonberry slush – with no ice. Poor fellow. He said, “Do you want a lemonade with no ice:” I said, “No. I want a lemonberry slush with… ” About that time I got a mighty red face. I made the mistake of telling my family what I did. My grandson teased me about it just last week. A family story to tell for a new generation of Thanksgiving dinner participants!

6. Interesting twist at the end😊