GRANDMA BETTER NOT BE THIN-SKINNED

“Grandma, you have old skin; I have new skin.  Smell it.”

“Um, smells good, sweetie pie”

“Grandma, what’s that?”

“That’s called a mole, honey.”

Grandma, why do you have those brown spots?”

“I’m just getting old, baby.”

“Grandma, I don’t have any of those blue lines on my hands.”

“No, you’re not old enough yet, my love”

“Grandma, why is your skin so floppy right there.”

“I don’t exercise enough, my sweet.”

“Grandma, how did you get that ouie?”

“Got poked by the tree branch, darling.”

“Grandma, want me to get a band-aid?”

“No, they tear my skin when I take them off, sugar plum.”

Moral:  As the body becomes thin skinned, the spirit becomes thick-skinned.

(Writing201 (poetry)  Lesson 3 Prose poem; subject, skin)

—————————-

GOSSIP AND SUCH

Gossip, murmur, criticize, complain

With behavior like this, you will not gain.

Sad to say, but ‘tis true

When folks talk about you

They all agree you’re a pain!

(Writing201 (poetry)  Lesson 4 limerick; subject, imperfection)

This entry was posted in writing201poetry and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to GRANDMA BETTER NOT BE THIN-SKINNED

1. judyjourneys says:

How true! How true! How true! You are definitely a patient, wonderful grandmother.

But their words are always wrapped in so much love as they snuggle up close enough to see the differences in their skin and mine! The one about “smell my skin” sent me to the bath for a uncommon number of showers! Wow, that one hurt. lol

2. Hayley says:

I love this! Such a lovely, innocent conversation and a moral that is so very true! xx

Yes, Hayley, these remarks have been made by various ones of my little darlings, fortunately not on the same day. I have recovery time before the next visit! . Generally they are very concerned about me when they point out these flaws!

• Hayley says:

Oh dear – I know how easily children do comment and point out differences without yet knowing or fully understanding the etiquette mindfulness, especially when other’s feelings are involved. An everyday occurrence working in a school (as I’m sure you’ll agree and remember!) Although, some comments are simply priceless and I often find myself stifling a giggle xx

3. How sweet and true. Aging makes patience and gossips are forever a pain to know.

4. oneta hayes says:

Jesus said we should become as little children. I believe that means being completely guileless (as well as some other attributes like quick forgiveness). It is forever wise to keep our comments for Him only, however.

What a lovely pair for National Poetry Day. I confess I’m still not convinced there is such a thing as a “prose poem.” It sounds like an oxymoron to me, but of course opinions differ. I do love limericks — they’re wonderful fun.

6. oneta hayes says:

Yeah, shoreacres, let’s hear it for limericks. One for you –
    The six little girls were darling
    But tactless, they were – alarming
    The things they would say
    As they chattered all day
    Still Grandma found them most charming!.

7. oneta hayes says:

Thank you, Marion. Limericks are so much fun. Did you see the Limerick Poetry Challenge that Rashmi (Mind and Matters) is beginning? Sounds fun.

8. Gina Blue says:

I LOVE your “Grandma” poem! I suppose that’s because I am one.and have felt the stinging sensitivity that comes with age. The comment that caught me off guard (and therefore prepared me for what was to come from my grandkids) came from my daughter. One day she just looked at my arm and said, “Mom, you have “gramma skin!” In return, I just looked her in the eye and said, “I am one, Karen!” That was my beginning of becoming “think skinned!” Thanks for sharing!

9. oneta hayes says:

I’ve already had a chance this morning to remember that I am supposed to grow some think skin. I noticed I was quite sensitive to an issue, about to be offended, when I reminded myself that it was a good opportunity to grow some new skin cells, the kind that make water roll off a duck’s back! Gina, have we met before? Hopefully I can get over to your blog and browse long enough to know you.

This is fabulous, both of them. I’m really relating to the grandparenting one also.

I have just spent a couple of days with my girls. I came off without such innocent comments this time. They are now 5 and 7, big enough to know what to say and what not to say. If the five year old starts down a wrong track, the seven year old catches on quickly and tells her not to say that! I have two more coming on. They are almost one and two. I guess the fun will begin again in a couple of years! Thanks for reading and commenting.