I’M OKAY, TOO BAD ABOUT YOU

Hezekiah is generally remembered as a Godly king; however, the last verse relating to his story as told by Isaiah is a very sad commentary about his later days.  Isaiah tells of the bondage to come “And some of your own descendants, your own flesh and blood who will be born to you, will be taken away…”  Hezekiah’s response,  “The word of the Lord…is good.”  But he thought in his heart “There will be peace and security in my lifetime.”  (Isaiah 39:7-8) In other words, “I’m okay, never mind the future!”  Do you suppose that applies to anyone in government today?  And while I ask that question pointing to the “other guy” – the ones in the power structure, I confess that I have thought “I’m so glad Social Security will last at least until I’m dead and gone.”  Don’t try to take out the plank in the government’s eye as long as there is a mote in mine.  See, I know I turned plank/mote around, but I still can’t acknowledge that my “mote” is as big as their plank!

This entry was posted in government, politicians and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to I’M OKAY, TOO BAD ABOUT YOU

1. Vibrant says:

Very interesting post. Such kings are rare!

I had heard only about the Solomon from Bible.

Thanks for sharing this!

Love and light ❤

Anand 🙂

Vibrant, Hezekiah was about 250 years after Solomon; there were twelve (I think) kings between them, some who served very short times. I think Hezekiah reign was forty years so he is one of the better known kings of Judah. (I didn’t look that up, so I might be wrong due to my rushing today. Quantity over quality.- not very good practice!) Thanks for your comment, Anand.

2. Debbie L says:

Good post! Hope all is well with your relative!

3. oneta hayes says:

Thanks, Debbie. I believe she is having surgery today. I especially went in order to keep her babies (will be one next week and the other will be two next month.) I had to accept the fact that I am physically unfit to give them the care they needed, so I came home – I cry just writing this. It is a major emotional hit to me to know I can’t take proper care of babies anymore. Empty nest was nothing compared to this. I will go back when mommy goes home; maybe I can help her in some ways. She says I can help even if I sit on the couch and hold them. You see, Debbie, I could certainly use some prayer as does my granddaughter. She needed (needs) thyroid surgery because of tumors, but her heart was not strong enough. As I said, I think they are doing it today. She has three other children also but they are all taken care of this week. Sorry, dear, I guess I got carried away with my problem. But I’m going to post anyway. I need prayers of our blogging friends who are interested enough to read this. Love to you all.

• shoreacres says:

Oh, this is just so familiar. Even though I’m younger than you, I’ve hit that time in life when certain things just aren’t possible for me any more — particularly in my work. I’ve had to come to the point of turning down very specific jobs (mostly involving great heights or balance) because I just don’t trust myself. (Of course, it could be that I’m just getting smarter. Opinions differ on that one.)

My friends who are in their 80s are facing the same issues. Things that they used to do with ease are now difficult, or impossible. Learning our limits, and dealing with them gracefully, is so important. The young un’s say “You can do anything you want!” But we know that the limitless life is a chimera. Too bad some of our politicians haven’t learned the lesson.

I hope the surgery goes well (or went well, depending.)

She did have the surgery today. Guess we have to wait a while to know what’s next but she is optimistic. Her Godmother is going to be with her the next few days I think. She is very good with the babies and twenty/thirty years younger than I. Thanks for caring and understanding. You’re right that they still think I could do it. I guess I’m glad they don’t just say, “You’re right, Grandma, you’re too old.” That would put me into another melt down! Thanks for using the word “chimera;” Nice to have confidence in my brain on this of all days!

4. judyjourneys says:

Most of my life (and that’s a lot of years), I have heard, “Social Security won’t be here when you need it.” I decided not to believe that. God is sovereign.
    One time I heard someone say that our representatives would never get rid of it, because they would be voted out if they did. Above all, they want their jobs! Social Security is the government’s sacred cow.
    Putting that aside, I wrote about Hezekiah as a young man. I hope you check it out: https://anotherperfectdaughter.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/appraisals/

Judy, I read your analysis of Hezekiah as a young man. He was certainly a king used by and obedient to God. I have a study from his “restoring the people” to God as an outline of how a church should go about having a revival. You would probably enjoy a look over. I do not have plans to post. But maybe I should.

5. Interesting analysis Oneta. Thanks for throwing more light on this.

Thanks for commenting, Jacqueline. I was just saying to my husband yesterday that making money had been easier for my grandfather than for my father, easier for my father than for me, easier for me than for my son, easier for my son that it seems to be for my grandson. I make that observation because of the ease/difficulty of getting a job.

6. oneta hayes says:

Answer to Judy’s question. At this point the study consists of margin notes beginning at 2 Chron. 29: 5 “he opened the doors of the temple of the Lord and repaired them. He brought in the priets and the Levites assembled the in the square and said…Consecrate yourselves now and consecrate the temple…” In my words, clean and repair the building making it worthy for company, then go before the Lord and be sure your yourselves are clean and holy/pure. Make yourselves worthy to represent the Lord. In verse 18 they say they have done that so in verse 20 they go before the city officials and make sacrifice. in Verse 25 calls in the Levites (workers, musicians. Then began the worship, singers, etc. My main point is that the officials and workers were dedicated before they called in the congregation for worship. In chapter 30:1, he calls in the “home folks” then sent out word throughout the nation for all to come. Well the process continues lthrough chapters 30 and 31. Interesting the offerings were taken until late in the game 31:10.
    I think we sort of have the idea that anytime we are ready, God will appear. In truth there was a lot of preparation. Oh, Judy. Hope this hasn’t been too long. Maybe there is a risk in asking me a question!

• judyjourneys says:

No, this was definitely not too long. Thank you for it. We need the reminder that if the people are to get right with God, the process begins with the leaders. They have the greater responsibility and accountability, in my opinion.

As a teacher, I have taken James 3:2 quite seriously, “Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness..” That has to apply to anyone who sets himself as a leader.