MITCHELL SCHOOL

Digital Camera

Digital Camera

(Lesson 7: Form: Ballad; Subject: Neighborhood; Device: Assonance)

We talked of community, not neighborhood;
We talked of counties, and towns
We met in schools and courthouse lawns
Wore overalls and dresses, not evening gowns.

The building housed the public school,
A place of learning and social gathering –
There was church, spelling bees, the voting booth
A center of knowledge – perhaps, just a smattering.

From eight years old to eleven or twelve
Mitchell School, was my place to go
It was not true that we walked in rain
By then, folks were modern, you know.

Owning their farms, livestock, and cars,
Their taxes kept that school house firm
Paid the teachers and bought the books
All gung-ho and ready for a new term.

Then the children grew up and moved
Adults bought new Chevys and Fords
The walls of Mitchell School began to fall
“Save the School” was a slogan – no action, just words.

To folks like me, ‘tis a pleasant memory, but
With no one left to maintain it with pride
A snippet was written to serve as a eulogy
And Mitchell School’s walls just fell down and died.

This entry was posted in writing201poetry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to MITCHELL SCHOOL

Isn’t that that truth? Our church bought one of the old school buildings here in town, but it cost so much to keep up. It has since been sold again. Just think, in heaven, no fall-downs!

2. oneta hayes says:

The next country school I attended was called Lone Star. When the school district consolidated and it was no more used as a school, my grandfather bought it and moved it into a little town where it was remodeled as a church. He especially loved doing it because it was the building in which the revival was held when he and other members of my family were first shown the Word of God and became Christians (the 1930s). The last I knew it was still being used as a church.

3. What a loss to the community! You are blessed to have had that experience!

4. ghostmmnc says:

A nice tribute to the days gone by…the old school gone… I’ve heard they’re tearing down my old elementary school soon. One of my daughters went there for awhile too. I’ve taken pictures, but it’s sad to see it go, there were so many good memories there.

Happy times. I didn’t know loneliness or boredom. My grandchildren have learned better than to tell me they are bored. I heard one tell another not to say they were bored because grandma said only boring people get bored. True, that’s what I tell them! I don’t remember having to work very much. Don’t know what I did alone. I only remember doing family things.

5. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, I like it that you have kept a bit of history alive in your beautiful poem. My elementary school, built in 1942, is still going strong (http://victoryvillaes.bcps.org/).

6. oneta hayes says:

I looked up the web for the school. I love the vision, mission, and believe statements. Do you still have family who attend there? Sounds great. Thanks for contacting me.

• judyjourneys says:

No family still attends there. The school originally serviced the World War II families that built airplanes for the war at the Glenn L. Martin Company (now Martin Marietta). Those house are still the community. My book uses two anecdotes about the school.

7. oneta hayes says:

Interesting. I love stories that give the history of things we generally take so much for granted.