OUTTA STEP WITH THE WORLD

witch

I’m The October Scrooge since I don’t believe

And ghosts and goblins I’ll not receive.

Some think it’s fun

To make kids run

But Halloween horrors make me grieve.

Okay, my blogging friends, don’t call the curses down on me!  I’m only partly serious.  I can’t get past a Halloween years ago when I stood with my hand on the shoulder of a little first grader when a teacher’s aide from another classroom, dressed as a witch came shrieking, breaking into my classroom and I felt the terrified heart beat of that child.  I would like to have stooped down, hugged her tight, and told her she was safe and Jesus loved her.  But I would be in trouble for that!  That was not allowed in the classroom.  I confess to being mad that the “witch” was allowed!

Limerick Challenge Week 3 https://mindandlifematters.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/limerick-poetry-challenge-week-3-believe/

17 Responses to OUTTA STEP WITH THE WORLD

1. I am not big or fond of Halloween.

2. Faye Roots says:

Personally I believe Halloween is no more than a commercially driven fun seeking focus on the dark side. Outta step with the world ? So we should be. We belong to a different Kingdom!. We can be gentle and encouraging but not embracing of this invasive tradition which I thank God was not part of my childhood. Beersheba Day now that’s the real celebration of both Grace and courage 31st October.

Thanks, Faye, for your comment. Often when healthy things become mixed with unhealthy, the unhealthy wins. That’s one of the things that God warned Israel about when he so vehemently demanded no compromise with heathen nations.

You go, girl!! I’ve also referred to myself as the Halloween Scrooge (coming up later this week). I know Jesus wasn’t born in December and both that and Easter were attempts to assuage the pagan culture, but just there’s too much left in Halloween for me.

Hard to celebrate death, isn’t it! At least the horrors of death. There is a victory to death for a Christian but even that is not a “ghosts and goblins” kind of celebration.

I love Halloween, and always have. Now that I’m an adult, I don’t dress in costume or party, but I have terrifically fond memories of Halloween parties at school, trick-or-treating, making Halloween cookies and cupcales, and so on. Of course, back then, there wasn’t anything particularly scary about the day. Witches and skeletons abounded, as did princesses, farmers, two-person dogs (always a fight about who gets to be in front) and so on.

We’d take trick-or-treat bags of candy to the nursing home, try and fool the neighbors with our costumes, and tell ghost stories on the front steps. There always was a party at church, too, with apple bobbing, taffy pulling, and a costume judging contest. There weren’t any zombies or truly scary haunted houses. That stuff is of the past decade or so, and generally repulsive to me. But for real fun? Halloween was a delight.

5. oneta hayes says:

Sounds like you had lots of healthy, wise, and fun things going for you. I had some of those family oriented kinds of things also. But my first “haunted hOuse” kind of experience was in the county school I wrote about last week, Mitchell School. I had to follow a leader (or something like that), I climbed up on a table and as I did so someone under the table grabbed my leg and simple as that sounds I still remember how it terrified me. I think one reason it stuck with me is that I don’t believe I’ve admitted until right now how scared I was. Even back then I had to be brave as the big kids. Maybe that is the reason I was so disturbed by the witch coming into my class like she did. No, at least not only that. I should have been consulted about that. Thanks as always for your response which leads me to deeper thinking.

6. luckyjc007 says:

I’ve never been a real halloween fan…just enjoyed running around in the neighborhood each year collecting free candy! Never dressed up as a witch or anything scary. It just wasn’t something I cared for.

7. SarahC says:

Ha it is good for maybe some cheap marked down chocolate afterwards. Like to go harvest festivals, and try to remind by putting on social media Things Thankful for. Party for the right reasons.

Yes, I’m planning to use last year’s leftovers for anyone who comes by who appears to be over twelve! No, No, I’m joking. I’m stocked and ready with new stuff wrapped individual M & M’s. Don’t expect any/many because houses in my neighborhood are too far apart for walkers and we don’t look rich enough to make driving by profitable!

8. SarahC says:

None here…. Highway. Nearby town has on square trunk treat I think

9. I like this one…and yea…Witch should not be allowed in the young ones classrooms!

10. oneta hayes says:

Halloween is best as family affair. Parents decide ho.. much “scare” their little ones can safely “suffer.” Suffer? Don’t know if that is the word I want. Sort of loaded isn’t it?