Meeting the Lord in the Broom-corn Field

broomcorn field

In a blog I wrote the other day, https://onetahayes.com/2015/11/02/jay-do-you-remember/ I mentioned my granddad and his brother.  I referred to them as two gangster brothers who became two preachers.  Let me clarify.  I do not know that they were law breakers.  I do know they were drinkers and gamblers and likely not that good as family men! But Granddad Jim did have some land and he with some of his sons grew broom-corn and made brooms for sale.  Years later my daddy bought that land and in the process of tearing down part of an old room they found a pistol that had apparently been hidden in the rafters.  That doesn’t sound very honest.  But I guess I’ll never know that story!  How did it happen that he (my Granddad Jim) changed his ways and  became a preacher who built several holiness churches?

This is the story as was told to me today by my oldest family member (Delma, Jim’s youngest daughter) who was born in 1931 after this incident happened so she told me the story as it was told to her.

Uncle Orcie (Jim’s brother-in-law) was cutting broom-corn at Dad’s (Jim’s) place.  Uncle Orcie felt like the place was needing a revival so he sent word to Aunt Mary who was about four hundred miles away in Oklahoma.  The message he sent was to “sell the old sow and pigs and buy some song books and come up here.”  So Aunt Mary did that and she and Edna came and lived in a tent on Dad’s place.  Edna played the piano and Aunt Mary and Blanche Stepp preached a revival in Lone Star School.  Mom, Oda, Bertha and – I think – Pete got saved.

One day Edna came in the house all excited by the Holy Ghost and said, “Oh, the Lord just met me in my tent.”  The next day, Dad was convicted by the idea of the Lord being on his place.  So he just knelt down in that broom-corn field and gave his heart to the Lord.

So that is the story as was told to me.  Now you can see why I often give thanks with a grateful heart that I was born to a family of Christians.   By the time I came on the scene (via Pete) changes had been made.  Among my memories of Granddad Jim and Grandma Vida’s kitchen, include a long table with benches at the sides and “grace” consisted of everyone kneeling at those benches for prayer.  Actually I think one person gave thanks (grace) at the beginning; the prayer at the benches was at the end of the meal.  I’m not sure.

Explanation:  In my previous post regarding my Great-grandmother Margaret, I said she had twins, my daddy a two pounder who lived and his brother who died.  I mixed up my generations.  Grandma Vida is the mother of Pete and his twin.

This entry was posted in Christianity, repentance, salvation and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Meeting the Lord in the Broom-corn Field

1. Debbie L says:

It’s hard to keep up with the generations! That’s why it was good to see in some old family Bibles the family tree. This was an interesting post! Thanks!

A fun kind of story. One thing sure, it made a change in the direction my family might have been headed! My granddad was one of the sons who did not have Huntingston’s disease. If it skips any generation it will not reappear so there has never been any danger in my family, but I have a lot of second cousins (my dad’s first cousins) who have/had it and passed it on. A horrible disease. Thanks for the comment.

2. Hello. I believe you and I have one thing in common. I, am also a Christian. There’s only a handful of people that use a pewter to pray. By the way, people change, and I believe that is due to God’s miracle.

It is nice to receive comment from a sister believer. I am blessed. I pray and trust that my off spring will be as blessed to the third and fourth generations. That makes life much easier. But, thank God, any person no matter what their family situation can make a decision to be a “first generation” believer and have the same promises from God that I have benefited from. God is good! I am now going over to your space and see if I can find you. Perhaps we can spend some time together being blog along buddies.

• Oh yes. I have different blogs, so I think you would like TheModernCatholic.com. I’m not sure if you are Catholic yourself, although I rarely talk about the ones that keep us different. I agree with you on the next generations to come. With the evolving society, I think we must spend plenty of time with our children explaining why it must be, or else it will be easy for them to drift away. At least, that’s what I hear and observe from others.

I am not Catholic; however, I share faith as you do in the saving power of Jesus Christ for our eternal existence. Thank you for reading and commenting. We do need to be in much prayer for our next generations.

3. Interesting read. Family history is always fun and God can intercept us anywhere 😊

I have no idea what I thought broom corn was. I’ve heard the phrase, but somehow I’d developed the understanding that it was a poor corn crop. Not so! It’s actually a variety of sorghum — or so the sources tell me. I began thinking about brooms, and realized that I need a new one, but haven’t purchased one because the only ones I’ve happened across have those terrible plastic “bristles” that don’t work nearly as well as a naturall broom. I need to be more intentional in my searching, I guess. It’s another example of real beating imitation, hands-down.

5. oneta hayes says:

I haven’t used a straw broom in a long time, but I did not change without grieving! I remember what we called the broom corn shack and it’s novel equipment. My folks raised broom corn for most of my childhood through high school. I suppose longer but I was not involved after getting married. As a child, harvest time was so interesting. Lots of men and sometimes whole families moved into the county. I must give more thought to this and record some of that phase of the broom corn story. Thanks for commenting. I think I saw something from you on e-mail. I’m running behind. I’ll catch up though.

6. Dustin says:

Greetings, Oneta! I just wanted to stop by and tell you how much it means to me that you dropped by Flaggfan and commented on “Veteran’s Day Beckons…” Thank you.

Glad to meet you. Hopefully we will be traveling together in some of our blogging activities. Are youenrolling in any Blogging courses or Challenges? They are great for bringing people together. I’ll see you.