PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW

Digital Camera

Digital Camera

Three? four? weeks I’ve been preparing for a garage sale.  I was ready today, but…my husband has the shingles; he hurts too badly to put the signs in the ground, and I can’t push them down enough to stay upright (neither the sign not I stays upright!) So, again, no sale!

I have unearthed some interesting things.  I have a book, Cooking for Two, Janet McKenzie Hill, 1917.  Amazon price for hardcover like mine is $150!  Reproductions are $35.00.

Let me give you a bit of its content.  First page:  “A Talk on Food”  “In the morning you work about the house, putting it in order, or you work in the garden with your flowers, or you go to market.  Your husband attends to his work out-of-doors or in the office, and when mid-day is reached neither of you feel willing to do any more work, until you have eaten your mid-day meal.  Your energy and motive power are gone.  The movements you have made, not only those you have made of your own accord in working about the house, but also those made involuntarily by your heart in beating, your lungs in breathing, and your brain in thinking, have wasted your stock of energy and worn away tissues of flesh, blood and bones.  This waste must be renewed at once, or you will remain faint and inactive; or, if the renewal be deferred for days. you will cease to live.”

Now I call that a good reason to eat!

I marked mine for thirty dollars, but I changed my mind and brought it in; that’s not enough money.  I don’t need the book at all BUT it is so entertaining.  It only proves the stereotype of me as an old woman with a house of clutter. BUT it is not something I could ever get again so if I part with it now.  Should I, or shouldn’t I? Please participate in my poll.

This entry was posted in change and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to PARTING IS SUCH SWEET SORROW

1. Yinglan says:

I am an incredibly sentimental person and if this is something you cherish deeply, I wouldn’t sell it.

Surely one of you grandkids would want it, if not now, then in the future! I have several things that my mother “salvaged” from my great-grandmother, things that I didn’t appreciate until I was an adult and now have them in my home. It speaks of family connections.

I could print a copy of this blog and comments, put it in the book to remind it of our near estrangement. But in the end, I cannot part. It will probably behave very well for the rest of my natural life!

Praying for your dear husband. UGH! Did you get the varicella (shingles) vaccine??

He says he is feeling a bit better. He vacuumed a bit while I was at church but had to quit without completing his goal. I’m mixed up about the need for a shot but I do have a doctor’s appt in the morning. I will ask about it. If I needed one it looks like she would have told Sammy to tell me to get one. We have the same doctor. I’ll see her tomorrow.

• shoreacres says:

Get that shot. After my mother had shingles, we both got the shot. You can’t have it while you have an active case, but once they’ve passed, you’re good to go. It’s not an absolute preventative, but if you do get them, the pain and suffering is much reduced.

I suppose if you’ve never had chicken pox, it’s not necessary. But I surely would talk to your doctor about it.

I did talk to the doctor about the shot. She didn’t seem to think it was that important. She said medicare would not pay for it, but I could find a place easily enough if I wanted one. She did say also that there is a new vaccine coming out that will be better for folks over seventy. That would be one to check about when it is approved. So no shot.

• dawnlizjones says:

PLEASE do ask. Make sure she knows about your husband. (Doctors forget…)

4. Don’t sell it in a garage sale Oneta. Put it on Ebay or a book selling site where people who know about these things will know its value. Or keep it!

Seems pretty silly to let it go to someone who knows how to turn it around and make fifty dollars on it, doesn’t it? I’m giving it new life at my house for the time being anyway. I have many old books; I hate to think of them being sold for a dollar or two when I’m gone. So I’m at least putting a note in them to show their value. Maybe some of my young ones will know how to market them online. Thanks for advice.

• They will. I once saw someone sell a book on Ebay listed at 99cents and it sold for $2,000. It was a first edition of Dr No complete with original dust jacket, but they didn’t know the value. ( I used to sell books myself on Ebay. I am planning some posts on how to go about Ebaying unwanted items, may get around to it some time soon!)

5. Faye Roots says:

Love your sharing exert of the book. Your blog is a touch of normality in the light of tragic France events. Hope your dear husband recovers quickly. Thank God David’s attack was brief but quite debilitating for a few days. I don’t think I could sell something of sentimental value.

Thanks for your comment, Faye. It does speak of a time that seems so innocent, doesn’t it? A time when women might want to do something special for the man she loves. I think I may be giving the notion that I am not big on feminism. I’m not but I think it is because I have been blessed with such good men in my life. So your David also had shingles? Sammy had them one time before and they didn’t last long. Hope for the same, but I know people who were in pain for weeks. He has lesions front and back so he can’t rest very well on stomach or back. Must be miserable. The situation in France is alarming. I have read some very good tributes to them. So sorry about the condition of the world; I’m not very optimistic but look with faith to the Lord’s deliverance. Perhaps we will still get leaders who submit to God’s will. Perhaps He will still save.

6. luckyjc007 says:

Sorry to hear your husband is suffering with the shingles. They are pretty painful! I had them on one side of my face, however, they only lasted about a week and then gradually went away…probably took about 3 weeks to totally disappear. I had the shingles shot….there is no promise of not having the shingles even though you get the shot….it Will lessen the amount of time you have them and less pain….so I’ve been told. I have known several people that have had them and have suffered a great deal with them. I recommend you get the shot. 🙂

Thanks, lucky, I have an appointment with doctor in the morning. It is just a six month check, no problem expected, but maybe she can tell me what’s best. My husband and I have the same doctor. I’m surprised that she didn’t tell him to send me in for a shop when she checked him last week. Thanks for advice. I’ve only heart of one other person who had shingles on their face. I didn’t know that was possible.

7. oneta hayes says:

Thanks for the good advice. I’m glad I gave a second thought to selling it. It’s back in the kitchen. I would spend the money on something that would be over and gone. Leaving me with nothing. It’s not as if I need the money to meet a necessity.

8. Turn into an inheritance 😊

I think you made the argument for keeping it yourself, when you said, “If I sold it, I couldn’t replace it.” I’ve done that with a good bit of china and other antiques, but now I’m down to pieces I truly love, and I know that I never would be able to afford to reclaim a one of them. So, on the shelf they stay. Besides, selling always remains an option. If you decide in a year you really don’t care to keep the book, you can offer it then — and the price probably will have gone up.

10. oneta hayes says:

dawnliz, I could have worded my statement better. I said, “Apparently one cannot catch shingles if they have had chickenpox” By catch I mean “contact with shingles” causes chickenpox, not shingles. I can get shingles caused by the virus that is already in my body. So I think it means I might get shingles but no more so by contact than by the fact that I might get them at anytime. I know people who have had chickenpox do get shingles and vaccination is recommended. I don’t know why her hesitancy in recommending the shot. It does seem like Medicare would pay for it it it statistically prevents those doctor visits for people who have shingles. Oh this is so convoluted!
    Hey, you are definitely not a pain! Thanks much for caring.

11. judyjourneys says:

As I look at my old, cherished books, I want them to go to someone else who will appreciate them. Recently, I gave my Mark Twain collection to my granddaughter because she loves his writings. My husband gave three heavy boxes of Greek dictionaries and similar books (accumulated over fifty years) to a young man who was starting to study theology. (We heard about this indirectly via our daughter.) Since then, we have heard that he is very happy with them and uses them every day. I hope to see my treasures go to deserving homes.