DECEMBER IN OKLAHOMA

okla map

Oklahoma?  Few folks fantasize

Of living there with those guys.

But if you’re an Okie, what might you see?

A bunny hopping into low trees

Brown leaves lifted up by the breeze.

Raindrops clinging under the rafters

Children filling the air with laughter

Catching snowflakes on the tongue

Plenty warm to do that because the sun

May still show through in rain and snow

Crazy weather, don’t you know?

Snipping off the last of the roses

Not much aroma left for the noses.

A colorful pansy and a purple mum,

Even geraniums still overcome.

Many folks go to Sunday School

And try to live by the golden rule.

Have a reputation for gun totin’

Generally conservative when we go votin’

Still eat steak, bacon, and ham

High on fat, but there’s not much sham,

And there’s still gyms and nutrition stores

Makin’ money, keepin’ open their doors.

Most Okies believe God is with us

And to one another, we say “Merry Christmas.”

So from this Okie who’s been blessed

And generally speaking for the rest . . .

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND GOD BLESS!

This entry was posted in Oklahoma and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to DECEMBER IN OKLAHOMA

I wish in many ways I could write with passion about the beauty and wonder of all the Christmasses in my life. The camping ones. The Christmas Lights on a river bank and the truly God-given splendour of the Southern Cross blazing in the night sky. The beach Christmas Services
    with the rolling surf. It was foretold that Australia and all the Islands nearby in the Pacific are The Great South Lands of the Holy Spirit. What a heritage! what a legacy. Yet now like where you live violence, secularism and threats do everything to dampen what was so beautiful. Christmasses as a child were magic (once we got over the idea we had to eat heavy hot food to be like ‘others’. Jesus Christ is Lord of ALL. and His Birth is sacred and meaningful across this world to ALL who will open the Gift. Thank you Oneta for the beauty of your sharing of your life. God Bless!

Faye, all your words are very poetic and you certainly have passion. Do a little playing around with your prose, throw in rhyming words occasionally, toss in some alliteration, think in terms of phrases instead of sentences. Check to see if you have words that appeal to senses, and you have poetry! And did you really get past turkey, ham, bread rolls, pecan pie, peanut clusters, Christmas tree cookies with all the sprinkles? . . . with some peanut brittle, of course? Thanks, dear friend, for your comments. You are a blessing with your inspirational posts also.

We’re almost neighbors here in southern MO! I have two nieces in Broken Arrow. Fun poem, and merriest of Christmases to you also.

• shoreacres says:

This is too funny. I just was talking to a Kansas City cousin on the phone. Her grand-daughter just was enticed down to Broken Arrow by her boyfriend — ostensibly to see the Christmas lights at Rhema Bible College. In fact, all of their friends were there, too, and he proposed to her. Have you ever been to Rhema to see the lights? They look spectacular.

• dawnlizjones says:

How totally cool it that?? I have a couple of young friends who went to Rhema, but I’ve never been there. What a wonderful way to say “I do”! Both my nieces graduated from ORU.

Dawnliz, looks like my comments are just tossed out here in random order! If you have time, just read them all. You will catch yours someplace! Your nieces must be jewels to have graduated from ORU. Back when it was young we had a lot of contacts there – several couples from our church moved to Tulsa to be instructors at ORU. I’m sure they have all retired now, but they were sweet friends. See you are getting to me again, making me all nostalgic. I’m sure there are stories here; perhaps, I should let them incubate.

I have gone to Rhema two times to look at Christmas lights. They are indeed impressive! That would make a beautiful back drop for an engagement celebration! What a delightful memory to cherish.

Okla. and MO – We gotta have something in common besides football! so glad to know you via blog world. My Granddaughter and her family live in Tulsa.

I love Oklahoma. For years I’ve been driving the state to visit kin in Kansas City. I pick up the Indian Nation turnpike north of Paris, Texas, take it to McAlester, then head up 69 through Muskogee, pick up 44 to Joplin, and head north. I don’t even need a map any more.

There’s something about that Indian Nation turnpike. I always start singing songs from the musical “Oklahoma” when I get there. Have you ever been to Hugo, the winter grounds of the circus, or seen the cemetery there? It’s so wonderful. And the Ouachita mountains are the best. Anyone who thinks Oklahoma’s a boring state doesn’t know Oklahoma. I mean — there are big, blue catfish in Lake Eufala, and I once met a guy who actually noodled — caught them by hand.

I think it’s time for another trip to Oklahoma, that’s what I think. But I may wait for spring, now. I know about those Oklahoma ice storms!

Lovely, evocative post. It put me right in the Christmas spirit — I think because of all the gifts I remembered.

You have me pining over the things in my state that I overlook. I have been over the Talimeni Pass but I did not know about the cemetery you mention. Sounds like we need a tourist promotion dignitary! You interested? Another thing about Oklahoma – outside football, we don’t know how to toot our own horn. A bit intimidated between Texas and the Colorado Rockies! I was such a Colorado snob when I was a Colorado kid! Now that’s an off the wall remark, isn’t it?

• shoreacres says:

I wrote about the cemetery in Hugo, too. You can see photos of some of the cool grave stones here. It’s a wonderful place — as is the elephant refuge.

Yes, shoreacres, I went to your blog about the cemetery. Interesting so I googled some other pictures from there. I went on the Talimena Pass with a group from my church. On the way back we looked around Hugo because someone had heart of a cemetery there for circus animals. We didn’t find it and it was getting to late to take more time so we came on home. We didn’t understand that it was for the circus performers. As always you enlightened me. Maybe I can sell our program planner on the idea of trying again with more information up front. Your blogs make an excellent selling point! Thanks.

4. izabolinha says:

Thank you Oneta , and Merry Christmas to you and yours.
    God Bless

5. What a fun way to write about a State. Makes one hunger to see, even if it’s just for a few days 🙂

6. luckyjc007 says:

I’ve never been there, but you make it sound so inviting. 🙂