ITS A MADHOUSE HERE

mental health

Ralph sighed and gazed at pebbles between his slippered feet.  He was unusually lucid today.   The sign says, “Mental health facility” but “It’s a madhouse here;” is what the residents say.  The words sting.

At three:  Four siblings, five cousins in grandma’s house.  Madhouse!

Eight: Moody stepfather, temper control set on mad.  Madhouse!

Nineteen: Off campus house with four college buddies. Madhouse!

Thirty-six:  Brief tenure as cut-throat attorney – Madhouse!

Forty-eight:  Stock broker.  –  Madhouse!

Fifty-two:  Bankrupt, wife left, ulcer surgery, auto repossessed, phone ringing.  Madhouse!

Sixty:  Echoing in his ears,  “It’s a madhouse here.”

Too lucid today; he regressed into silence.

This entry was posted in creativestory, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to ITS A MADHOUSE HERE

1. Yinglan says:

Oneta, I just want to say, thank you for reading all my posts and putting your thoughts on it. I appreciate you following me on my adventures and I hope you have a Happy New Year. 🙂

Thank you, Yinglan. It is nice to take time to think of special changes and blessing to our year. You are one of mine. I enjoy you whatever you write – except you I don’t welcome unhappy endings! 😀 😀 I didn’t enjoy my ending on “Madhouse” but it seemed necessary! Have a great 2016! And thanks for

Thank you Oneta. Once again can I enquire is this a true story? What you write is always interesting to read . I’ll keep reading. You keep writing. Cheers!

3. luckyjc007 says:

Wonderfully written! 🙂

4. Vibrant says:

This is a truly stunning post Oneta. Though the prompt was for the second Friday it is alright. You can share it with us on second Friday too. I have shared it on the social media pages. I hope you are enjoying new year!

Love and light ❤

Anand 🙂

5. Good One Ms.Oneta ! 🙂 Nicely written 🙂

6. Anand says:

Madness persists everywhere. It followed me from my blog to yours. Or is it your madness that’s going to follow me back to my blog? Awesome Oneta, superbly crafted as always!

7. oneta hayes says:

Ha! Perhaps both. Thanks for visiting. Your comment is valued highly. 😀

8. I hope he finds peace in the madness. Gripping story.

Thank you, Jacque. This is not a true story in the sense that I know this person. But I’m afraid it is true in the life of many. I read your account of the Dubai high rise fire. Glad to see you perspective.

9. Colette B says:

Very powerful writing Oneta, you did incredibly well with the prompt 🙂