PASSING YEARS

hour glass

The years have turned to decades;

The decades, to scores.

Age can bind the body

But still love’s spirit soars.

I’ve loved Him since I was but a child.

He’s my friend when the storms are wild.

When forsaken by others, He’s at my side.

When troubled by choices, He’s been my guide.

In sorrow, He’s my comfort;

In panic, He’s my calm;

In confusion, He’s my anchor;

In illness, He’s my balm.

He makes me holy, pays my debt

Forgives my sins, and better yet –

I’ve been declared righteous because of His blood

He fights my battles, and gives me His love.

He’s my God, my Savior,

my Life, Light, and Love!

Nay! I’ll not mourn the passing years

that lead me to Him above.

————-

Being thankful upon celebrating my life of eighty-two years – birthday yesterday, January 24th

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.  Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.  and ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.  And I will be found of you, saith the Lord; . . . (Jer. 29:11-14a)

This entry was posted in aging, Christianity and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to PASSING YEARS

1. Pingback: Celebrating a birthday. Help me celebrate 82 years! | Blogger's World!

2. Happy Birthday!! What a blessing to have known your Savior for most of it. Thank you for visiting by blog and liking my posts, I am always touched to see your presence.

3. judyjourneys says:

Happy birthday, Oneta! I love your birthday poem to yourself. What a testimony you are.

4. The C-Sweet says:

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday! Thank you for sharing your story(ies!!)!!

5. Olga says:

This reminds me a bit of the ‘famous’ story called ‘Footprints.’ “During the times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.” Happy Birthday Oneta and many more.

6. izabolinha says:

Happy Birthday Oneta , thank you for your beautiful poem and may you keep enlightening us with your wise words for as long as your friend sees fit 🙂
    Turtle Hugs

7. izabolinha says:

Sorry , it is Friend obviouly

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I hope it was as wonderful as you are!!!

9. Jodee says:

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY To YOU!!!
    I love your poetry and WOW – 82 years… and how sweet you are. 🙂 I miss my Grandma something fierce so out of all of your titles (and you have plenty lol) I’d also choose to call you “Grandma Blogger” as I sit in my chair and read your stories of adventure.
    I pray your Birthday was a good one filled with more loving, happy memories to add to the already cherished ones in your mental memory book.

In His Grip,
    His daughter – Jodee

Jodee, thank you for the nice comment. I’ll gladly be your Grandma Blogger. You will find some things worth remembering I’m pretty sure. I’ll keep trying to make it worth your time. Blessings on you.

Jodee, I have been over to your place. I didn’t find a place to comment. I have been your follower for a few months; glad you have decided to follow me also. I did find the “Dance with Jesus” book at Amazon. Glad to see it is in kindle form. Me – your Grandma Blogger – likes kindle; love that big font. I will try to get it before long. I think I have a couple of books waiting now. See you.

Happy belated Birthday to you dear blogging friend. May the Strength you have found in Christ ever undergird your journey. As Catherine Booth (Salvation Army wrote as her legacy)………
    It is not how many years we live, but what we do with them…….. Continue blogging dear one you are touching and encouraging the lives of others.

What a dear and sweet message from you. Thanks oodles. We are so blessed, aren’t we. And it is such a joy to contact other precious ones, those already following Jesus and other ripe to do so. A wonderful blogging experience. Makes me sorry for many of my friends who sit alone. Maybe watch TV but no interaction. Imagine my knowing you. Fantastic!

11. Colette B says:

Happy belated birthday Oneta, with best wishes 🙂

I’ll say Happy Birthday rather than belated Happy Birthday, Oneta, because I firmly believe in birthday seasons — stretch it out to a week, at least. Isn’t it a blessing to still be healthy and happy, after all these years? I think it’s even more a blessing to be open and flexible enough to try new things — as you surely are. Here’s to another wonderful year of getting to know one another, and celebrating our faith.

Yes, shoreacres, I am glad for your Happy Birthday blessings. I don’t consider them late; I plan to be 82 all year, so plenty of time. We can skip changing to 82 1/2 in six months! I am so thankful to be interacting with so many wonderful people. I gloat to my family about my classy friends, and other groups. 😀 You’re high on my “would never have known her if it weren’t for blogging” stories. You are so intelligent, interesting, and kind.
      Thanks.

13. Oneta you are so blessed. This beautiful post is making me feel happy. Congratulations and happy birthday my dear friend. Nothing beats the love and friendship of Jesus 😊 ((virtual hugs)).

14. oneta hayes says:

Thanks, it is good to know you understand. Good night ,dear lady . It’s late here .

15. Happy birthday Oneta. I love your poem

16. Mysticalwriter says:

A very Happy Birthday to you!

17. simpledimple says:

Happy Happy Birthday to you, Oneta! You are indeed blessed to be celebrating ’82’ glorious years on earth. It can only be your God whom you have surrendered your life to. *I love this Awesome God too.* Wishing you more wonderful and healthy years ahead. Congratulations!!! 🙂

Thank you, simpledimple, for your kind and understanding words. Reminds me of the song “The Longer I Serve Him, the Sweeter He Grows.” He is indeed the same for many of us, and his faithfulness abides forever. I am blessed to have lived long in Him. May the same be true for you, dear.

• simpledimple says:

Aww… Amen and Amen. I tap into this awesome testimony. Without HIM I cease to grow. For me, there is no other path to follow but the ways of the most High God. Thank you for this glorious declaration. Remain blessed in the Lord. *virtual hugs* to you. Have a great day. 🙂

18. Dawn Marie says:

hAppY biRtHdAy dear, sweet, blogger friend in Christ! God has indeed made you Holy & we (who have found you) are fortified by your great Witness to Him! Praising Him for the gift of you!!! 😘🎉

19. Happy Birthday….you are such a blessing

20. timelesswheel says:

Belated happy birthday! That was a lovely poem 🙂

21. Deborah Ann says:

Wow that was a beautiful, heartfelt poem that reflects a soul where Jesus safely abides. Happy belated 82 years of God inspired life to you. May He continue to work His wonder in you for years to come. ~ Have a blessed day with Jesus ~

Deborah Ann, thank you for the visit and for the gracious comment. Spoken like one who knows how satisfying it is to know Him. I have been enjoying your poetry for several days – I’ve missed none since marking your “follow.” In fact I decided to add you to my morning devotion today. I love how you work your poems into a scriptural theme. Be blessed.

22. degus221 says:

Happy Birthday, Oneta. Isn’t it great to stay young in heart and young in mind, as the decades slip by without our noticing. And your poem reflects your gratitude.

degus221, thanks so much for the birthday greeting. Yes it is wonderful to have such a delightfully fulfilling life. I’m thankful. I’ve been glad to see you back with more poetry. Hopefully that indicates a return of health to you. Hope so.

23. astridswords says:

Beautiful words! Best wishes to you in your new year to venture =)

24. 49lilykatz says:

What a rich life you have led. I am inspired by your beautiful words. Keep blogging, I will read more!

How nice you are, 49lilykatz. I read your account of losing your better half last night. Very poignant. I’m so thankful I have not as yet experienced such loss. I just now hopped over to click a follow on your site, so I will keep up with you. Share your sorrows. They get watered down a little bit by spreading some out among your friends, those who really care. I think of the scripture that says to bear one another’s burdens. It might help a bit. Anyway you did a great job of writing that piece. See you and please visit often.