HOLD IT! I CAN DO THIS! OOPS!

oops

(Cut and Paste –  post written for Bloggers World)

Exclamations, also called interjections, are words or phrases which help a writer show emotion.  They are mostly used in casual writing, not seen often in formal writing.

1. If an exclamation is strong enough to stand alone, it needs to be punctuated with an exclamation mark after it, and the following sentence begins with a capital.  If it comes at the end of an exclamatory sentence, it is punctuated as a sentence by itself.

Holy Cow!  What did I get into volunteering to write a post on grammar!

Help!  Lone Ranger, to the rescue!

Eek!  I didn’t do it any better the second time!

I was chosen for the Blogger’s Award!  Hoorah!

I remember how the bee stung!  Ouch!

I’ll get it straightened out!  Good golly, Miss Molly!

1. Some are considered softer forms of emotion and are punctuated with a comma separating them from the rest of the sentence.

Oh, I really hate to be known as a party pooper!

Well, I give up!

Ah, I needed that!

1. Some exclamations are in the middle of the sentence. In that case they are separated by appropriate punctuation marks before and after.

My mom will help me; indeed, she is my greatest helper.

I guess I have about . . . umm . . . sixty pages left to write.

Here is a glass of – oops, sorry – I almost spilled that!

Okay!  How did I do on this post?  Well, perhaps I shouldn’t ask!  But, for goodness sake, you are all kind and I need your accolades.  Now that it is over, give me a shout out!  Way to go! I just blew an important rule about exclamations!  You are supposed to be careful not to use too many!

Hum . . . yeah, no doubt about it.  I used too many.

——————-

A bit on the lighter side after my intense “death and dying” blogs this last week.  Enjoy this grammar lesson on the light side.  (Cut and Paste –  post written for Bloggers World)

24 Responses to HOLD IT! I CAN DO THIS! OOPS!

1. Laura says:

This is really cute! I smiled all the way through the read! My favorite line is: I guess I have about . . . umm . . . sixty pages left to write. Guess why? Because I have a habit of using the dot dot dot… a lot! 🙂

Laura, thank you so much for this nice comment. I hoped to make you smile, and obviously appreciate knowing I did … I appreciate it… a lot! Maybe we had better not do this on formal writing, however.

The overuse of exclamation marks is one of my pet peeves. It’s right up there with the use of emoticons, and incomplete stops like this….

F. Scott Fitzgerald had some pretty good advice: “Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke.”

You’re trying to make a point (an exclamation point, perhaps?), so this post is a different sort of critter. But, generally speaking, if I come across a piece of writing filled with exclamation points, I don’t even stop to read it. My loss, perhaps, but there it is.

My most specific New Year’s resolution was to eliminate the use of exclamation points, especially in blog comments, where I was beginning to overuse them, so I suppose my biases are showing. It certainly has been harder than I imagined. When I’m responding to someone who likes to toss them around like confetti, it’s tempting to join in the party.

I bet you had a hard time not putting one after “It certainly has been harder than I imagined.” I’m trying to be nice and not 😀 ! this sentence. See, I did it. I think most bloggers are rather dramatic people, or dramatic people especially like to blog. So we tend to be emotive. As shown by your number of readers, many also like cognitive blogs like you write. Not many are able to entertain, teach, and touch hearts like you do; nor do they comment, encourage, enlarge, and inspire like you do. Go, Girl! Oh, shoreacres, I just can’t help myself sometimes. I’m glad you read my blog in spite of its title. Curiosity, perhaps?

• shoreacres says:

You’re exactly right, Oneta. The impulse to add the exclamation mark was there, but I sat on myself.

I suppose when we get right down to it, it’s just different strokes, different folks. I don’t think of myself as a “blogger,” but as a writer who uses a WordPress platform as a tool. So, my primary goal is good writing, with all that entails. Part of the reason I feel so strongly about exclamation marks is that too many people use them as shortcuts. If I write well enough, I won’t need to signal surprise, excitement, disbelief, and so on by use of punctuation. The words will do it.

I was thinking about it at work this afternoon, and I remembered reading something that I think is on target. The use of exclamation marks, acronyms, and emoticons came with the rise of texting and use of social media. I’m sure someone has studied it.

Anyway, your post gave me a chuckle, and a chance to think all this through for myself. I’m not suggesting you or anyone else change a thing — just adding my two cents.

And you are exactly right about the trend being set by texting. The best I can say for the uncaring shortcuts in texting is that they do give some people the desire to read something. I am close to a person who was so insecure about reading, spelling, and writing, he was near a give up point. Hanging in with texting, voice messages, and such leads him to reading linked material such as jokes, political issues, and positive business tips, as well as religious and motivational material. I believe he was helped to expand his reading experience in this way. Since reading is a passion of mine, I feel like it was a positive thing. As you can see in my comment to the turtle below, I acknowledge the superiority of increased vocabulary over shortcuts such as we are discussing. As always you make me think; I like that. Yes, my blog was definitely “tongue-in-check” in order to make a point.

3. SarahC says:

I enjoyed it, but you know i always do! and I even forget to capitalize but I am me so i can forget things like that 😀 Blessed day to you

SarahC, thanks so much for your blessings. You are greatly appreciated for the comments you make to me. I also am pretty careless sometimes with my writing to bloggers. Seems that I am always in a hurry. I think I try to stuff too much into an hour – then blow it all, by not stuffing anything into some hours. Understand that?

Accolades!! Exclamation points!

5. theturtle says:

😀
    Those of us who are still learning how to write in English like myself , tend to rely a bit too much on them (!) and on emoticons to try to convey our emotions . I’m hopeful I will use them less and less 😉
    Turtle Hugs

Hi, dear turtle. As you can see in my comment to shoreacres, I believe bloggers are emotional people, so we all probably overuse them. In a formal way, it would be better to enlarge one’s vocabulary to use words more fluently; however, the exclamation mark is for using. So use it any time you feel you need to. What is your first language? I wish I could speak/write another language. Congratulations. I would never have guessed that English is not your original language. You write very well. Thanks for being my follower, and for letting me know by your many comments and likes. You are very warm, creative, and special.

• theturtle says:

Thank you dear Oneta ! You’ve made my day (that is my night by now) . I am Portuguese , and learned French and then some English in school 🙂
        Hugs to you

You are good. Perhaps you are more comfortable with writing than speaking, or it is the other way? Do me a blog about your language experience. And through in a bit of funny situations. There must be a lot of them. Hugs back, dear turtle.

theturtle, I’m awake this morning and rereading this. Oh, my, I used a wrong word in my response last night. Not good – especially for one new to English! “Through” should be “throw.” I’ve given myself three black marks!

• theturtle says:

I read it as throw , then read back and thought …uhm …Oneta’s mind playing tricks on her (as mine does so often) or the auto-corrector thing doing its job the wrong way again
              This was a very interesting post and your reader’s comments enriched it even further (or further enriched it ? – but then you might think that the post was not sufficiently interesting by itself , and made so by the comments ??? – so maybe the first way is better)
              Hugs from a learning Turtle

Back to you, Turtle. I’ve sat here trying to decide which way the use of “further” is better. I think both ways convey the message of extending one’s thoughts. Since I am prone to give advice whether or not it is asked for, I’m suggesting that “further enriched” might be better “than enriched it even further” simply because it is generally better to to be less wordy if the concept is the same. I am quite conscious of keeping my blogs as short as possible for the sake of my reader’s time. Some blogs can have great ideas, interest, information, etc.that I want to read but my interest lags before I get to the end. Joy and peace to you, dear one.

• theturtle says:

Thank you so much , and your advice is always welcomed .
                Joy and peace to you

6. wonderful post!!! I don’t know any of the rules, I must have slept through those classes.

Love reading your stuff.

bill…cote, I’m pleased that you called my stuff “stuff.” That gives me such freedom to write what I want to. I hope to never take my eyes off the prize, however. My prize is that people give serious thought to how they want their future “82-year-old selves” to be. I feel absolutely whole in spirit, mind, and body. Body is hobbling some these days but it is the least of my worries.