FALLIN’ IN LOVE WITH SAMMY

rose

HE: Winked at me.

Drew pictures for me in history class.

Went with me for fundraising.  He didn’t laugh at me when I told a group that we were going to do a certain thing in “Feptember.”-  I guess one of my “Bushisms”

Stirred my peanut butter and syrup.

Carried one end of a twig while I carried the other end.  We had a “no touch” rule in our Bible school.  I do confess to putting my hand over his while he was holding the steering wheel.  Our chaperone was quite liberal.

Left me a chocolate malt at the foot of the stairs.

Took a lecture from the dean because he stood with his arms open wide while I pretended I was going to jump into them.  The dean said that did not look proper.

Sat with me on the pig sty.

After about six months, he kissed me.  Broke the rules.  I was flustered.  When he said, “Will you marry me?”  I was thinking about the no touch rule, and I thought he said “Are you mad at me?”  I said, “Why, no, Sammy.”  (This Colorado girl was a bit confused because of his British accent  – no r sound!)Suddenly my brain got straightened out and I quickly asked for a little time to think it over.

A couple of days later, he said I had had a little time, and I said, “Yes.”

My love story!  My heart breaks for young people these days.  Those who never experience the picture drawing, winks, making peanut butter sandwiches, dreaming fairy tale dreams, carry twigs together – all working up to the magic moment when they can hold hands!  And finally get a kiss.  Then comes love, marriage and the baby carriage.

Well, back to my valentine.  To Sammy – to love  – the excitement of the initial sparks,  the roar of the burning flames, the stirring of sorrow-doused ashes, adding logs to the smoltering coals, the comfort of the glowing embers.  And still, I say, “Wonder of wonders, he chose me!”

This entry was posted in falling in love and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to FALLIN’ IN LOVE WITH SAMMY

1. artseafartsea says:

Very poetic Oneta.

Are you too good to be true??! This is fabulous! Facebooked it!

Dawnliz, when I look back on my youth, I admit that I didn’t know what a blessed life I was living. I thought I was just too country-ish and ugly (at least not pretty) to be popular. Or, maybe it was because I wasn’t Baptist. They were popular. When I came to the city, I went into a department store where some one asked me where I was from. I told him Colorado. He then made a remark about the Colorado/OU game coming up soon. I didn’t know what he was talking about! I must have been a hoot! But I did know Jesus was special and I was ready to be all in for him. Thank you, dear one, for you precious words. Thanks for FBing. If I can help even one little girl see the advantage of being cherished instead of bedded, I will be happy.

3. So very poetic, Oneta! Your memory of those first flutters was heartwarming to read 🙂

4. Dawn Marie says:

“The excitement of the initial sparks…” So much story wrapped up in that very phrase (and the phrases which follow! But that one in particular brings a rush of light into one’s heart doesn’t it? Not only in our human love but our heavenly affections as well. I remember those electric sparks that ignited when I gave my life to Him, entrusted my whole self to His Will, curled up into His protective hands. Thank you for the chance to remember…I’m all tingly with affection. Hugs!

Young love is wonderful. I still remember the year Tim Kling gave me a Valentine heart filled with candy in 4th grade — oh, my! — and the year at the county fair that a county-attorney to be dunked me head first in a cattle trough.

Your post also reminded me of this, which came my way over the weekend: an article about college students and a movement to bring back dating rather than hooking up. There may yet be hope.

I lost my response to you, so I will try a second time. I responded about the suited skills of your county attorney and how exciting it must have been to be the focus of his attention. It definitely proves that he noticed you. I read your recommended link. Let’s hope for some dignity to return to romance. There can be no selling of one’s body without harming one’s whole being. What is being exchanged is so much more than money.

Thank you Oneta. As always when you post something like this it resonates with such a longing in my heart that the next generation would know again something of the innocence and beauty of our type of childhood. I’m trying to pass it on to grandchildren but they really are swamped by “Life in the fast lane and everything quickly”….even childhood seems to be pressured to ‘grow up really . fast. Teens years should also be such a journey of gradually unfolding discovery. Thank you sincerely for your beautiful expression of love.

Yes, Faye. Thanks for understanding. It is hard to see things of value being exchanged for peanut shells. I used to hear of things being sold for peanuts. Don’t even get that anymore. They just get the excitement of breaking the shell, then discover t hollowness inside.

7. Hayley says:

Oh Oneta – my heart was all a flutter for you! I actually felt the butterfly’s in my tummy as I read this ❤ xx

8. This is a beautiful tribute to your husband. So what happened next? Beautiful wedding, marriage, and family?