LET’S PLAY TWENTY QUESTIONS

oneta 53

Are your graduation pictures black and white?

Do you remember “Don’t Fence Me In” and “You Call Everybody Darling?

Did Lassie ever make you cry?

Did you sing “Just a Little Talk with Jesus” in a quartette?

How about “Jesus Saves” in a church choir?

Or, do you remember when George Beverly Shea introduced that new song,

How Great Thou Art?”

Did you ever milk a cow? Or, gather the eggs in your dress tail?

Have you carried a salt shaker to the garden to eat a sun-warmed tomato off the vine?

Have you driven a Chevy Belaire or a Ford Fairlane?

Do you remember when Orwell’s “1980” could never happen?

Were you forbidden to use four-letter-words?  I’m talking about eckh and oshg!

(I had to scramble the words; they’re still forbidden!  😀  :D)

Did you have to have a chaperon on a date?

Can you dress for a 50’s party without someone telling you how?

Did you have a new polyester suit for Easter?

Were you a show-off for putting a dime in your penny loafers?

Did you ever go to church in a brush arbor or a tabernacle with sawdust floors?

Or, did you have a church where the “outsiders” peeked in the church windows?

Are your grandkids prettier than other folks’grandkids?

Was/is Elvis your hero?

WELL, HOWDY-DO TO MY PEER GROUP!  (Yep, that’s me in 1953)

This entry was posted in aging and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to LET’S PLAY TWENTY QUESTIONS

1. calensariel says:

Well I remember a lot of that! I was born in ’51, though. I think these pieces are so interesting.

Calen, I was married the year this picture was taken, so I’m about a generation before you. I’m sure some of the questions I asked about spanned several year of time. Thanks for the comment.

2. themomfred says:

Oh, I loved reading your list. One of my fonder memories is going out to the garden with my grandfather with the salt shaker and eating warm tomatoes, which he carefully carved into slices for me with his ever present pocket knife. Also I can not get enough of George Beverly Shea’s Hymns, man what a voice. So maybe it was not your intent, since I was born in 1961, but thanks for the memory. Belinda

You are the generation of my sons. That’s the Lassie connection. My younger son was born in 1960. I know he would remember the sharp pocket knife but maybe not the tomatoes in the garden. Thanks for the comment.

• themomfred says:

My mother kept the television shoved away in the closet for most of my childhood so I don’t have many memories of any shows except what my father would watch, because he always retrieved it on Saturday evening. I think I was in my late teens before we got a color television. and still only one, mainly for my father.

Did your mom oppose your watching television because she thought it was harmful or because it was a waste of time? Lot of difference between those days and the baby sitting television of today.

• themomfred says:

A waste of time. I remember wanted to watch as a child, but really we were too busy playing outside and getting into whatever we could to be bored. We would go to my grandparents house on special occasions to the watch Wizard of Oz and such when it played once a year on the large color tv. Times were different. Moms were at home so the neighborhoods were full of kids to play with. Homework didn’t take hours of your time, and life wasn’t so organized and scheduled, at least not for me, but I suppose I was living a suburban middle class privileged existence, which can be hard to come today..

3. oneta hayes says:

Yes, my kids rode bikes until near dark. And they never confessed to having homework!

4. judyjourneys says:

Your last line made me think of Howdy Doody. Do you remember him?

5. Gosh, I’m a 1956 baby and I remember lots of these…the salt shaker and the tomatoes…with my Grandad…mmmmmm.

6. Salvageable says:

I belong to your sons’ generation. Your title made me remember doing dishes with my parents (my mom always washed; my dad and I always dried–no automatic dishwasher) and playing “twenty questions.” “I’m thinking of something vegetable.” J.

Great post and great memories! My year is 1959, so they were still Rockin’ ‘Round the Clock when I came on the scene. And I finally got to milk a cow as an adult, and you would have laughed!

I only tried to milk a cow. Never could get the hang of it. Most of these things lasted into another generation. My sons were born in 1954 and 1960. The older one would identify but the younger one – probably not much.

Well, look at that. I got fifteen “yeses.” I would have had a couple more, except I didn’t much like Elvis (I was a Ricky Nelson fan) and I don’t have grandkids. But if I did, they’d be the best in the world!

I did laugh at your mention of George Beverly Shea introducing that “new” song, In English, for American audiences, it was new, but I grew up with my Swedish grandmother singing the original to me — in Swedish. It was written in 1885 as “O Store Gud,” and put to a Swedish folk melody. Here’s a great version I found on Youtube — such memories it brings back!

Oh, so beautiful. Lovely voices and sweet sweet spirit in which it is sung. Fifteen, huh? That’s quite a few. Bet you missed ever going to a church where people peeked in the windows to see what was going on. They were curious and tempted by the singing, but some would not be caught dead in a holiness church. I can’t imagine how it would ever have been that we put stained glass windows in that church. That’s not quite Peter’s kind of evangelism, is it? Or, Paul’s with his nice touch of preaching until someone goes to sleep sitting in the window. Thanks, dear Linda, for your input.

9. Mysticalwriter says:

Loved the 20 questions! Brought back some memories of yesteryear.

10. I enjoyed reading the list and trying to answer the 20 questions, but I didn’t do so well in them. My dad played Elvis’s music in the house and we watched Lassie’s re-runs sometime in the 80’s. Sounds like you guys had such a lovely time growing up if those 2 words were the forbidden swear words 😉

Jacque, I was in a very tame home – no drinking, no swearing, no tobacco, no violence ( but we got our bottoms spanked, my brother sometimes with a razor strop). About the words. It is true that we did not say words like heck, golly, and gosh. We did say shucks and “for goodness sake “. After I was married we were all gathered at mom and dad’s for a Sunday dinner, mother was cooking and I think she put too much salt in something, anyway she said, “Heck!” We all just about rolled in the floor with laughter, she just laughed and said, “I wonder where that come from.” I was just joking about have to scramble the letters, but I still use very few expressions of that kind. I was so blessed to be raised in my family.

11. pamkirst2014 says:

I can’t say yes to all of these…but I still love ‘How Great Thou Art’!!! (And I still won’t let anyone ‘fence me in’!!!)

“Let me ride through the wide open country that I love; don’t fence me in!…Let me gaze at the moon til lose my senses, can’t look at hobbles and I can’t stand fences…” Pretty nice song, a brand new genre for me with that Bing Crosby and Patty Page kind of thing! I was a Chuck Wagon kind of girl. Reflecting what Faye says below, “The journey has been nice.”

Howdy-do to you as well. I think there were only 3 on your list I was not able to give an emphatic ‘yes’ to but that’s because of our growing up memories being different countries. Did you have ‘outside’ toilets where you could sit and read the torn up newspapers while you waited for the rain to stop?’. (I even remember the night cart coming while I was still sitting there waiting for the rain to stop). Love the memories. Love the journey. Bless you!

We didn’t have newspapers. Oh, yes, I think the Grit and Capper’s Weekly, but our outhouse was stocked with catalogs. Those index pages were nice! There are lots of comforts now, but I seriously doubt the next hundred years will be the “hoot” the last century has been. On the other hand, this is probably the century which will bring the Lord’s return – that will be some change!

13. Like your younger son, I too was born in ’60 so I missed many of the things listed here but even so life was so much simpler and while we didn’t have all that we have today in the way of technology, there are many aspects of the 60s & 70s that I miss.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Stephanae. I know a lot of our memories are blessed with the forgetfulness of the bad, but the simple fun of making do with whatever we had was inspiring and creative; for instance, making stilts out of old oil cans and baling twine, and playing kick the can. Of course most of us had the advantage of more siblings and cousins nearby in those days. But I don’t remember knowing the word boredom, and I wasn’t even the outdoor type. Thanks for the visit.

• Yes, I know what you mean and it was made so abundantly clear when my kids came along and would say there is nothing to do outside (boring). When I was young we’d stay outside all day and there was that thing called imagination where we would pretend we were spies or some such. I think the kids of today are far more sophisticated than we were, probably because of technology, but I kind of feel sorry for them not being able to share some of the experiences that we enjoyed.

14. Yes my grand kid kids are better than anyone’s. Vincent , age 6, is so talented he can break and destroy everything in your house in under 10 minutes ! Thanks visit my blog.

Yes, Carl, it seems that Vincent could be counted on to be among the finalists. Feels good to be leaving the world a better place with our offspring, doesn’t it?

15. degus221 says:

Only some of them, Oneta. Only some of them.

16. oneta hayes says:

Well, degus, I shouldn’t have put that in about gathering eggs in your dress tail. My test was gender biased. 😀