The Tender Shepherd

Pictures representing the 23rd Psalm generally show a beautiful valley with green grass, cool running water, and healthy sheep but reality is that every shepherd has to deal with sick sheep, weak sheep, wayward sheep. All sheep need care from time to time. Even even-tempered, obedient sheep must on occasion face hardship.  The shepherd rejoices when the flock is well-fed, obedient, contented and lying down in green pastures, but they have to be kept on the move.  Food and water supplies run out.  Floods come and the shepherd has to seek higher ground.  Sometimes valleys, rugged terrain, mud and mire must be crossed. There are cold and wet seasons; there are hot and dry seasons. New lambs must be birthed; old sheep must die.  Mountains must be climbed; cliffs must be scaled. Muscles are build by effort not by a life of ease.  But, remember, the good Shepherd is always there!

***************

The paragraph above is from an  essay called Jehovah-Rohi, My Guide.(2230 words).  It is a static page on my Menu – Jehovah Names.

This entry was posted in Jehovah names, relationship with God, God speaks, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Tender Shepherd

1. kingsoracle says:

The shepherd of my soul. He is always there.

2. calensariel says:

That is so beautiful. Especially the part about keeping the sheep on the move. I feel like THAT all the time! 🙂

He has a reason, doesn’t he? Thank you, Calen. We are conditioned to think of how much the shepherd looks for the lost sheep, but he has to spend a lot of his time with those of us who consider ourselves among his healthy obedient sheep. He does not forget the ninety and nine!

3. Thanks for the reminder that “water and food supplies run out,” and that, “muscles can’t be built in a life of ease.” Thanks so much for faithfully sharing what God has poured into you.

We learn to trust the Shepherd. He might need to move us while things still look green to us, and we really want to stay instead of go. He stills knows best. Thanks for the comment, Heather.

A-men. Let us never forget either the 23rd Psalm clearly states ‘though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil. ‘ He will indeed be with us in ALL places. Follow Me He said. The path led him to Calvary BUT what followed was Resurrection. Thank you and bless you Oneta.

5. oneta hayes says:

Indeed, he does keep us from beginning to end! Thanks for comment.