CAN I BE GOOD ENOUGH?

A few months ago I had a dream in which in was sitting in a church auditorium and watched as children and some adults were ascending stairways on each side of the church.  I realized that the rapture (catching away of the church) was happening and I was not going.  I was left with some other people.  I was troubled, I said,  “Lord, I’m counting on your blood to save me.  I have no other way.”

When I awoke,  I meditated on the meaning of the dream, because I was/am convinced that I am saved by the blood of Jesus and that I will go with him when he calls. I believe I know the reason for the dream.  I have always been a “do something” kind of person; I have a reputation for “doing” good deeds (My reputation is better than the real “me.”)  I believe the dream was a test to see if I really counted on Jesus or did I count on my good deeds.  I am so thankful that even in that test, I just humbly bowed to my dependence on Jesus.  No good that I have done can save me.  Only Jesus.  ***************

The following is an excerpt from a page on my menu,  Jehovah-tsidkenu, Our Righteousness.

“Many modern American Christians have a concept of righteousness that portrays positive traits such as honesty, virtuousness, behaving well, and avoiding evil and temptations of the flesh.  Among some Christians that can be summed up in the statement “We don’t drink, smoke, or chew, and we don’t run around with those who do.”   That philosophy will lead to better health and good living, but it falls short of being the righteousness of God.

Neither good deeds nor sacrifice will make one righteous.  Thus, the need for Jehovah-tsidkenu – THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS!  No other will do.

Click “Jehovah names” for drop down showing Jehovah-tsidkenu.

This entry was posted in Christianity, Jehovah names, Jesus, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to CAN I BE GOOD ENOUGH?

1. calensariel says:

I couldn’t agree more. I identified with what you said about My reputation is better than the real “me.” Mine, too. But I do try to remain vulnerable and teachable.

2. Steven Sawyer says:

AMEN! This is an awesome post. I was a performance-based, works-oriented Christian for years. Always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Fretting over God’s acceptance of me. DO-ing so many things to earn His favor and His acceptance. Then I learned my true identity in Christ and that I was already and forever accepted and loved by my Father. Hallelujah I’m no longer dependent on my works, but on God’s grace and His never-ending love for me. Thanks for this keep reminder that works no longer work for me, but only my faith, surrender and total dependence of Him. I’m currently in my sixth year of blogging for His glory. You may enjoy some of my posts over at https://stevensawyer@wordpress.com.

3. Dawn Marie says:

“Who do you say that I am?” (One of my most favorite scriptures?..) Hugs my dear one!

4. Salvageable says:

Interesting dream… and wonderful that you knew exactly what to say. J.

Salvageable, thanks for your comment. One cannot read the book of James without knowing it is important to do good for others, but when all is said and done, we need the forgiveness provided for by Jesus Christ. blessings to you.

Thank you so much Dear. Relationship is our great gift of faith. Loving Him and His great love for us. Its not about ‘good works’ It all about Grace freely given by his death and resurrection. Forgiveness won at such a cost. Everything we are and do in this life should be because of our love for HIM not about anything else. Gentle reminders like this blog are so powerful.

It was Luther’s great insight: Sola gratia, by grace alone. Actually, the reformers had five solas that summed it up pretty well: “Sola Scriptura” (Scripture Alone); “Sola Gratia” (Grace Alone); “Sola Fide” (Faith Alone); “Solus Christus” (Christ Alone); and “Soli Deo Gloria” (To God Alone Be Glory). Different faiths express it differently, but there it is.