LETTER TO KENLYN

Kenlyn 1 pop

My dear one-year-old Kenlyn,

In our family, you are the youngest, I am the oldest except for Papa Sammy who is older than I.  But he is a man.  I want to talk girl talk.  You see once upon a time I was the age you are now.  But I don’t remember that time.

I do remember being a baby girl not much older than you – about Addy’s age.  I remember my daddy holding me as we walked into a church.  I remember wearing a pretty bonnet.  I got a new baby brother about that time.  I don’t remember him when he was that little.

I do remember when I was just a little older maybe like your other sister and we had a mama goat who had some babies.  Everybody laughed at me because I was all excited said, “Old Nanny Goat had some new puppies.”  I didn’t know why they laughed and I felt bad.  Remember when people laugh at you, they are laughing because you are so cute not because you did anything wrong.

I  started to school in first grade just like Ashlyn will do next year.  My first lesson was a picture of a cradle with  B A B Y printed under it.  I liked school a lot.  My brother got sick one day; my mother said it was because he ate too many oranges!  I wonder how many he ate.  Lots of things happened when I was that age that I wonder about.  Wondering is a good thing to do.  Learning is lots of fun when you wonder about things.

I liked to color and cut out paper dolls when I was nine like Jadalyn.  I play a drawing game with Jadalyn.  I draw a mark and she has to make a picture out of it, then she draws a mark and I make a picture.  We like to do that together.

All you girls like electrical gadgets like computers and cell phones.  The first time I remember using a telephone was when I was in high school – way bigger than Jadalyn even!  I used the phone at school to call my Grandma Rodgers.  I was sort of scared to even do that!  Lots of things have changed.  And lots of things will change.

One thing has always been and does not change.  That is Jesus.  He loved me when I was a baby and he loves me still.  He loves you now when you are a baby and he will always love you.  That is very important for you to know.  And it is important to know that I love you.  Someday before you are eighty like me,  I will go to Heaven  and I think I will still be loving you even then.

Love you, my littlest baby.

This entry was posted in #Everydayinspiration, generations, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to LETTER TO KENLYN

1. Judy Martin says:

Oh, this is lovely, Oneta 🙂

YOU are a extremely important legacy to your little ones, and I hope I can also be that.

3. mandibelle16 says:

Lovely letter to your littlest one. I hope she reads it someday and smiles. You know there were paper dolls when I was a little girl too. I loved them very much. They were great to play with 🙂

In those days there were marvelous (to me) paper dolls sold at 5 and 10 cent stores. I got those for Christmas. Montgomery Ward and Sears Roebuck sent me catalogs to use the rest of the year. 😀 I made paper dolls from the nice thick colored pages. The rest went to the outhouse! Haha.

• judyjourneys says:

I, too, loved paper dolls and would buy them whenever I could. I remember saying to myself one day (sometime around adolescence), You are too old for paper dolls. I literally had to force myself to give them up. Your post was a good trip down memory lane.

Thank you, Judy. I found some paper dolls with the texture on them at a antique store. Don’t know their date. I might do a bit of research and post about them sometime. They might have an interesting history.

4. luckyjc007 says:

A wonderful letter she will truly treasure one day.

Thank you, lucky. Her mother FB’ed me and said the big girls (Ashlyn and Jadalyn) had read the letter. I’m proud that they did that. It will probably make them feel important to be in the letter. I think so, anyway. A good mommy who would do that – my granddaughter, their mother. They probably couldn’t catch Addy to hold her down long enough to read to her. The middle one is a step daughter. She gets to be there quite a bit, but not there today.

5. calensariel says:

What a beautiful keepsake for Kenlyn. We wrote letters to each of the kids every Christmas and gave them to them the night before they got married.

6. Dawn Marie says:

Oneta! What a lovely and priceless treasure you have just given precious Kenlyn! She will cherish this ever so much, especially as she grows older & older herself. You have inspired me to turn the monthly journal I began for our grand-daughter into “letter-writting.” I so loved how personal your letter was and I do believe God above has given me a gift through your post today. Oh, how I can’t wait to write my first letter to her now!! PS- I have my own paper-dolls tucked safely away for when my sweet little-one is old enough to play with them.
    Hugs & Blessings dear blogging friend!

Thank you, Dawn Marie. Yes, I do believe writing personally to your little one adds value to journal about the precious child. I glad you can use the idea. It seems that many of have our paper doll special moments. 😀

7. adafairy7 says:

Oh my, I’m crying! How lovely is this. Must follow suit!

8. sleefoon says:

How beautiful! I got a little teary.

Thank you, dear. I get a bit teary also when I consider the beauty of life, the amazing masterpiece of the Creator. And babies show it so tenderly and innocently. Thanks for browsing my blog.