GOD, A FRIEND?

In earthly friendships there may be a lot of give and take, compromises, and negotiations; however, that is not possible in one’s relationship with  Jehovah-shammah.  Jesus says his friends must do as He commands them.  If one considers that requirement, it is easy to understand why not many were called friends of God during the Old Testament times.

But, what about now?  The Spirit is within us; we are His temple!  He is with us always!  His nature is to love and to desire love!  Every Christian can be a friend of God!

Many do not know that because they have not learned to recognize Him as Jehovah-shammah.   Many have never learned to know the voice of God.  Perhaps one cause is disobedience; perhaps another cause is that one does not spend enough quality time with Him – that is, one does not focus on the marvel of His presence within.  Some may not recognize Him because they have some preconceived notion of His voice.  God’s voice is most often “in a gentle whisper” as Elijah heard in I Kings 19:12, but it might be in other forms.  Jesus said, “my sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me” (John 10:27, NKJV).  God has placed within our hearts the ability to recognize his voice.   The knowledge of Jehovah-shammah must be received with awesome respect and a holy fear of ever being presumptuous toward that marvelous relationship.

***************

I have written more about Jehovah Shammah, my Friend.  https://onetahayes.com/jehovah-shammah-my-friend/

This entry was posted in Jehovah names, relationship with God, God speaks, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to GOD, A FRIEND?

1. Faye Roots says:

a.men. The Truth of this friendship became a lifetime reality with the coming of The Holy Spirit at Pentecost. now all the imperfect from the past made PERFECT in His Presence within and our companion friend wherever we go. A-men and A-men. Thanks for blog.

If you ever have time, I would love your thoughts: 1. How did you learn to hear His voice? 2. How can one be presumptuous of the relationship?

dawnliz, did you get a reply to this. I wrote one but now it is not here. I probably blew it! Basically the answer to first question is “I don’t know.” Lots of help, isn’t it? Second question – the answer is that I would be being very presumptuous if I tried telling you something I don’t know and using the Lord’s authority (name) to say I know! I am taking your questions more seriously than this answer implies. Had a bit of a conversation in prayer about you this morning. I so much admire your ability to teach and the teachable heart that comes with you.

3. freespirit says:

It is true that we do not give enough time to listen to gods word as we should, every thing is madness and now comes before him, instead it should be god before everything else.

Yes, freespirit, time is the key. Most people who are willing to give him time, are willing to give up other activities/attitudes that separate us from Him.

4. Dawn Marie says:

“God has placed in our hearts the ability to hear his voice.” Just as real as my own mother’s voice is to me, even when she is not near, so is God’s. He affirms, encourages, leads, warns & discourages and gives me Free Will to listen. And when I fail or discern improperly, (or am stubborn) He extends His mercy…which is often when I hear Him the clearest. “I still love you.” Hugs.

5. I happened upon your post while following the post of Dawnlizjones…You received several chuckles from me. I can tell you have a great sense of humor. A recent conversation I had with the Lord went like this:

God: “What are you doing?”
    Me: “Ummm… I guess I was playing out an argument with a person in my head.”
    God: “Well, knock it off!”
    Me: “Yes sir.”

I bet he loves it when he sends shock waves through/to us. “Knock it off” hilarious! He told me one time to “straighten yourself up and go apologize to Sammy.” Sammy is my husband. I did. I bet you knocked it off, didn’t you?