STILL LOVING YOU, MATEY!

elderly romance

He still sees her as seventeen

Unseen are the years that came between

The years that brought the belly fat

The years that made the chest go flat

Her ready smile still makes his eyes gleam.

She still sees him as twenty-four

The way he looked when he entered the door

She’s hardly noticed the head go bald

A bit of a pot belly’s quite normal for all

His sweet kindness is still his core.

Kindness and smiles carry much more weight

When they are present at seventy-eight

She’s had a stroke, has pain when she moves

He not remembering lately, hoping it improves

But they still smile and say, “I love you, Mate.”

************

Challenge by Niki

https://therichnessofasimplelife.wordpress.com/2016/05/09/kindness-challenge-week-1-focus-self-kindness/#RevofKindness This is for week 2, observing kindness

This entry was posted in #RevofKindness, aging, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to STILL LOVING YOU, MATEY!

1. This is some amazing writing 🙂

Thank you very much. I just had to fudge a little to make it very much like marriages I know. I don’t remember you, Joey. I’m going over a little later to see your blog and browse a bit.

2. gloverdeb says:

Wow! This is a forever kind of love. It must have taken a lot of get there.

My marriage of sixty-three years (almost) set the scene pretty well. But the baldness and pot belly doesn’t fit my husband. Also we do not have the health issues. Actually I have been thinking about two couples I saw at church last week. I observed their kindness to each other in the midst of physical decline. I was touched.

3. calensariel says:

That is s very tender!

4. Niki says:

What a creative way to express this! I love it! Thank you for sharing! 🙂

5. Wow! What a beautiful poem that celebrates love and kindness!

6. How sweet. Some unions grow stronger as the years go by and this is an inspiring poem 🙂

7. oneta hayes says:

My father-in-law was so precious to his wife during her nine years with dementia. He would stand behind her chair with his hand on her shoulder and say, “This is the wife of my youth.” I’ll never forget.

8. Hayley says:

Oh I love this Oneta – so nostalgic and yet so present. A lovely contemplation of how love remains despite the changes xx

Hayley, it is so good to hear from you. I went over to your blog a few days ago to check you out and saw you had left Dear Dad. Maybe this now will take me to your new site. Thanks for your comment on “Still Loving…” Along the years somewhere love becomes love!

• Hayley says:

Oneta, I have been too long away from my writing – my new site is now how I like it and so no longer private! I do want to post both on Dear Dad and Whole Foods For Life – and endeavour to return to the craft I so love xx

I’ll find you. You will probably have special anniversary Times with Dad. Father’s St is soon..I am to do a speech at the Senior Center with tribute to men in recognition of that day. See you.

9. Hayley says:

(the outward changes of appearance that is)

10. Dawn Marie says:

What a sweet reminder how perfect love can be when it’s from a heart-space & not a head-space. I know it was a challenge which inspired you…but look at how your talents have inspired those who have been blessed by the words you spin together through the love you have seen & known! Hugs!!

Growing old does give opportunities unknown to the young. I’m so thankful for the young who are teachable. So many seem to demand making their own mistakes rather than learning from the experience of others. Thanks for the comment. I appreciate you.

11. chanty007 says:

Be Blessedd Oneta. So thankful I bumped into this beautiful piece.