GOD SPEAKS

spirit

Jeremiah 10:5  Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak…    Habakkuk 2:18  (a man) makes idols that cannot speak.       Psalm 135:16   they have mouths but cannot speak                               Psalm  115:7   (they cannot) utter a sound with their throats.

In all four scriptureS referenced above, the writer is mocking idols as he contrasts them with the living God.  It is my conclusion that since he is poking fun at idols who cannot talk, he must be saying (implying) that God can and does talk, that is, speaks or utters words in addition to the more common ways he communicates with us.

Online browsing sites relate some who say he speaks in four ways, others up to eight ways.  Many acknowledge that he can speak audibly but few seem to believe that he really does that.

In my ‘Tween God and Me’ posts, I recounted two times when God spoke words to me.  They were not audible, but they were “heard” in my brain.  If, as we Christians believe, God’s spirit resides within us, why would he need to send the message through the ear.  We make words of the sound waves that enter the ear in the brain.  So I believe he speaks words into the brain, by-passing the ear canal – sometimes!  But there are other methods of hearing God that are more important and more reliable.  Most basic methods are hearing/knowing what he says though nature, through conscience, through the holy scriptures, through counselors, through one’s spirit, through circumstances, through dreams.  In future ‘Tween God and Me’ posts I will try to recount personal experiences.  You can test to see if they line up with scripture.

And since I have gone this far into what some of you will consider “looney-land” I will confess also to believing he still speaks audibly just as he did to Paul, when Paul could hear his voice but others could not.   I will probably relate that experience along the way.

I have experienced Him as a Friend, Jehovah-Shammah.  He is that to many people and he desires that relationship with all.  Jesus said that his sheep know his voice.  How long does it take for a sheep to recognize the true shepherd’s voice?  There are many voices  and other distractions that can separate us from our shepherd.  Stay near him, quit tuning in to the sound waves that are really only static in the spiritual sense.

And always, always know His written word.  He will never speak to you in a way that does not comply with the Holy scriptures.  It is the one method that can not be manipulated and misunderstood – if you know it well.

I believe God spoke to me today through a circumstance.  I will write about it in my next ‘Tween God and Me.’

This entry was posted in Christianity, God speaks and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to GOD SPEAKS

Oh absolutely God speaks!. It is not for us to desire this to happen but in a relationship that is strong it is definitely two-way. In all the ways you discuss above and He will never lead or guide outside the clearly defined guidelines of the Word written. Not just my life but the lives of others were significantly changed because God spoke ie not in the ears but in my spirit/heart/mind . During a flood crisis and lots of heartache and sorrow I did something ‘so silly’ in the ordinary sense yet so profound in the spiritual (least likely person and the unexpected – only God!!).everyone later acknowledged ‘only God’ could have led me that way. Thanks for the post – thought-provoking and interesting. God The Holy Spirit is really doing ‘incredible’ things in our world today. (a thought …..all Word of God….we dry up. all Spirit…we ‘blow up’…Word of God clearly aligned and directed by the Spirit….we truly can grow up). Blessings and Love.

Thanks Faye, for confirming what I have written. And, yes, as you say and as I also said, any message in any form must be acted upon as it is substantiated by the holy written word of God. Share with us regarding your special times with the Lord.

2. Salvageable says:

God can do whatever he wants–I’m never going to tell another person what God would not do. At the same time, I would tell every believer to check the message of that voice with the Bible. If there is any contradiction, know that the Bible is the Word of God and the voice may or may not be from him. God speaks in many ways, but only the Bible has been given to us as a reliable and trustworthy guide. J.

True. What a blessing it is for us to have the Bible and the freedom to read it. Nothing will surpass it to tell the gospel of Jesus and to act as a manual for living.

3. calensariel says:

Nice post. Anyone who thinks God DOESN’T speak to them ought to get a little better acquainted with him! 😀

Looking forward to hearing more on this from you! Some people seem to think that the things that happened in the first century church are no longer for today, but honestly, do we need them any less??? Of course I know we now have His full written word, but I also need Him to speak to me to understand it, as it is a “living” word, not merely a static one. Thanks for this!!

There are such realms of venture when one obeys the Truth as it is set before him/her. But we cannot just seek the adventure; we must seek the Master. Wasn’t it Simon who offered to pay for what he saw the Spirit do? Peter shot that down with a double barrel shotgun (so to speak). Just the quietness of sitting in a chair knowing the Lord is present , just the two of you alone, is amazing. No thunder, or lightning, just the still small voice – great. But to actually hear him put me in my place sometimes is hilarious – like when he told me I was pulling pigweeds! That was the Churchless Church Woman story.Thanks for coming on this ride with me, dawnliz.

5. He Speaks Truly. He Speaks Clearly!

6. Love it! While I have never heard an audible voice of God – just words in my head, my husband has. God speaks to each of us, how he thinks we need to hear at the time. Can’t wait to hear your personal stories.

Thank you, Heather. I’m behind because I’m still somewhat computer handicapped but I am going to get back to some writing. Mostly reading right now. I’m at the library. Their machines are good. So doing a bit of catch up here.

7. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, all that you have said is so true!

8. How about that? I, too, believe that His creativity in getting messages to us shouldn’t follow the normal route. Every exchange with him has been in my mind. Every post that I write is the message he gives me (sometimes at the last minute). I’ve not heard his voice audibly, but I trust that I’ll know it if/when he chooses to reach me that way. Great post, Oneta!