SO QUICKLY WE FORGET

May has gone.  Mother’s Day has passed.  Memorial Day forgotten.  I’m not complaining, just thinking how we celebrate and/or grieve, but life goes on.  I’m glad that happens.  But I’m sorry sometimes that I don’t hang on to “special” moments a little longer.

Linda at shoreacres posted a blog about Decoration Day turned to Memorial Day.  That blog made me decide to give attention to some detail, to do something to take note of the holiday.  I purposed to do five things that I would not do if it were not Memorial Day week-end.  Simple, but rare.  These were my five things:

1.  I went to Walmart.  What, that’s special?  The reason I went was special.  I was sure there would be a veteran there giving away poppies.  So I went to get a poppy, and make a donation.  I visualized some honorable men who are sitting together in a center somewhere busily making crepe paper poppies to give away, reminding me of the sacrifices that were made in behalf of my country’s freedom.
  2. In that Walmart parking lot, I saw a car with a “Vet” license tag.  Close by was a man with a cane walking toward the store.  I asked him if he was the veteran who was driving that car.  He said he was, so I expressed my thanks for his service.  A couple members of his family were with him.  They seemed so pleased that their “special person” was recognized.
  3.  I went to a historical museum and soaked up memories of the past, trying to get into the lives of some people who helped make my life stable as they fought the rigors of the past.
  4. I posted the blog “Real Men Don’t Eat Quiche, They Say,”  in recognition of honorable men I have known.  I also used that theme in a speech Sunday night.
  5. I drove out to the cemetery just to look around and remind myself to be thankful for wonderful people whose time on this earth has passed.  I relate three things that made that experience worthwhile.  1.  I talked to and prayed with a broken man who was bringing a flower and a wind disc to leave on his wife’s grave.  She was young, but gone two years.   2.  I met two ladies who were  cleaning a headstone for a grandfather and his brother.  They brought new flags for their honored vets.  3. I was saddened by a plaque that said, “Mother and baby.  1900-1923.” Quite probably lives lost in the birth process.

Little things. Simple things.  Important things.  All adding up to a special week-end.

This entry was posted in Memorial Day, Veterans and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to SO QUICKLY WE FORGET

1. Salvageable says:

At lunch on Memorial Day my youngest asked if we could visit a military cemetery that afternoon. We did. Reading the grave markers was quite moving for all of us. Also, I didn’t realize that there are so many religious symbols allowed now on military grave markers. When I got home, I checked on the internet and learned that about sixty different religious symbols are approved. J.

Who or what planted the seed in your “youngest” to spark that interest? Nicely done. I’m sure a valuable memory was planted. Interesting bit about the religious symbols. Thanks.

I spent some time at the Galveston cemetery over the holiday. It was surprising and pleasing to see so many people there: handholding couples, families with children, photographers. Some were admiring the wildflowers, some were reading tombstones, and all were quiet and respectful. It was so nice.

There wasn’t any grave-cleaning done in five of the cemeteries in the complex, though. When I post about the cemetery, you’ll see why. They allow the wildflowers to bloom there freely — what a sight it was!

I look forward to reading more of your experience. It will be a poignant masterpiece I am sure. Letting the wildflowers grow seems to be an honor – a way to behold the glory of the Lord as well as to encourage those who need to see life continuing as God planned, both in ways that are seen as well as those that are unseen.

3. luckyjc007 says:

A really great post and special reminder to be thankful for those who served protecting us.

Thank you, lucky. It was a tribute to both those who served in the armed forces as well as those who served at home. Since I was from a “farming” family, few of my relatives had to serve in WWII, but I watched as determined people struggled through dust bowl effects, droughts, and floods. Rigorous times. Good people.

A great post. Lives and days fly by so quickly. How important it is to take the time to remember both sacrifice of the military but also the times of joy and hope we all have along the way. I am writing a generational novel and to think of just one family living through four wars and the loss of life and the heart-ache and turmoil etc is thought-provoking. How important it is to cherish memories of blessings each day.

5. Everything beautiful and everything coarse just goes by with the days, the weeks , the months and the years just giving us memories of the special and the dark moments of the past.

Very well written 🙂

6. vronlacroix says:

That was a lovely way to enrich memorial day with intention.

I intend to deliberately add a little bit of “holiday” to my holidays. Who knows I might check on something like National Pickle Day, and eat a pickle. 😀

7. judyjourneys says:

Simple remembrances but so profound.

8. Dawn Marie says:

Another beautiful post. With a son in the active military there was a keen awareness to what the weekend is (and isn’t.) I am appreciative to those, such as yourself, who take the time to care and bring honor to their efforts. Hugs my friend…

9. oneta hayes says:

Tell your son I’m sending my thanks. He is even choosing this service voluntarily. And I appreciate your having raised such a young man. God bless you both.

10. You sure turned it into a special day and excellent moments.