LETTER TO JADALYN GRACE

jadalyn eight 2

Jadalyn, when I “wake up the house” I think of you, when I was take my meds, I think of you, when I put things in the pantry, I think of you, and when I sit in the rocker in the corner, I think of you.  I’ll tell the reasons; you will remember.

1. How do we wake up the house? Plug in the Jesus light, turn on the light at the piano, plug in the dining room lamps, plug in the fragrance heater and add oil.  Last time I didn’t have any candles, but if I do, you can help light them now that you are eight.
  2. Oh, and med taking time. How many pills from each of the bottles?  You don’t know without being told yet, but now that you are eight, you will learn.  You are very careful for details to be sure that you are right.  Start by two in each cup, morning and night, then look to see if it is right.  You have lots of knowledge about medical things, because of your own situation and also taking care of all those sisters!
  3. This story about the pantry was not very good at first, but I love it because of how quickly you made things right! Ashlyn went for her stool so she could reach the chocolate pudding on the shelf.  You could reach it so you were pushing Ashlyn back; she didn’t like that, so what did I do?  I pushed you both back and got the pudding myself.  Ashlyn went in the other room with her feelings hurt.  I said, “Jadalyn, we were wrong.  You knew you could get the pudding, you had done it lots of times so it shouldn’t have been that big a deal to you.  I was wrong because I just did it myself instead of handling the problem right.  For Ashlyn it was a big deal that she could get the stool and reach the shelf.  She is the one who was acting appropriately for her age.”  Now the part that makes this story so wonderful.  You took two of the puddings out. Then called her and said, “Ashlyn, do you want to come put the pudding away, back on the shelf.”  Of course, she came running.  Now that was some thinking of you.  You so quickly thought of a way to make Ashlyn happy again.  And you gave her a chance to be an achiever too.  I was so proud that you didn’t pout or insist that you were right.
  4. And why the rocker. That because you can still sit on my lap even though I can’t rock with you there!  Your legs are getting so long, sometimes you remind me of a darling baby giraffe with a beautiful Jadalyn face!  (The sofa with be a reminder to Papa of how big you are now, because he can’t carry you to bed.  He always loved that.  But being big won’t make him love you less.  He still walks in and brushes your hair back from your forehead, and says I love you.)

Well I’m sure you will continue the hoola hoop, the cartwheels, the trampoline, and that other stuff that will make your legs do just what graceful long legs are supposed to do.  You will be able to wear your name with pride—Jadalyn GRACE.

I am so proud that you can read so well.  You got a reader’s award for second grade—well, I guess so!  You have been mostly reading our scripture cards for almost a year.  I remember how surprised I was when you read the word “strength and honor and glory.”  Of course the verses that we could sing were really easy.  Remember that I was a reading teacher so I know how important reading is. I would love to be your reading teacher this year.  Third grade.  Most teachers I know love third grade.

Rules and obedience are so important.  Now people talk about making “right choices.”  That means it will be a year of proving that you know right from wrong, and that you are wise enough to choose the right thing.  Sometimes it is kind of hard, but it is wise to do right even if it costs you something.  Might even cost a friend.  That would be rough, but right.

Well, my Darling, I don’t want to be too long, so I’ll stop.  I love you so much.  It is hard to believe Jesus loves you even more.  But he does and he can be with you all the time, even when others of us cannot be.  Love you, Sweetheart.  Grandma Neta

I hope I chose a picture you will like.  You have very graceful legs here – not like a baby giraffe!  😀 😀

This entry was posted in family, generations, grandmother and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to LETTER TO JADALYN GRACE

1. Sue Ranscht says:

I am sure Jadalyn knows how very much she is loved. ❤

2. Dawn Marie says:

What a lovely letter to your grand-daughter! Thank you for sharing this…you have given her a treasure of a gift & You have inspired me to write one of my own! Hugs!!!

Dawn Marie, do you have children other than your daughter who got married a few months ago? Am I remembering right? You are so filled with love it is bound to rub off on those near you. Thanks for your sweet words to me.

Oh my heart! You are such a legacy for your family. I so much want to be that for mine. Pray for this please! His kingdom come, His will be done, in our children (grandchildren…) as it is in heaven.

Dawnliz, we are indeed living in a time when our children are faced with a culture that lures them to adventure with danger. But every generation has had to learn to say no to evil that entices. God’s promises are true. Our service to him will be rewarded to the third and fourth generations. And each of those generations have the choice to decide anew to be a first generation Christian and pass his blessings on. Outside him, we do have a rough row to hoe. He is still our hope for ourselves and our children. I’m ready for him to come and deliver us out of this. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

4. simpledimple says:

Awww… What a beautiful post that evokes sweet emotions. Your family must be very proud of you. Who wouldn’t be anyway. I am proud of you and glad to connect with you and tap from your sagely wisdom. Jadalyn GRACE, is blessed to have you as a grand-mother. Blessings to you and your family. 🙂

Thank you for this sweet comment. You are so kind and loving. May the blessings of the Lord go with you and flow through you for those you love. May you also find a special “tradition” that will bind you to those you love.

A beautiful letter to your grand-daughter. My prayer as I read it is that my grand-daughters though rarely seen and my grand-sons far away also know the love of their grand-mother and far more will come to KNOW absolutely the love of Christ for them. A very beautiful post. Touches and blesses. Thank you.

6. Amen and Amen. Jadalyn is blessed. What a beautiful post Oneta 🙂

Home again, home again, jiggety-jig — and way, way far behind in reading posts. No matter. A post like this will be as delightful a year from now as it is today. The letters you write to your family members are wonderful.

I really enjoyed the pudding story. If I had to choose one typical phrase to sum up my childhood, it would be, “Mother! I want to do it myself!” Mom tended to over-help, so it always delights me to see big people who understand how important it is to let kids “do it themselves.”

Big people do tend to over-help. Then we complain when we think they should do it by themselves. It must be a frustration to be a child. Their view – “Just the time I don’t want to do it anymore, she wants me to do it.” These two girls I write about mostly, drive me up a wall because they want to wash dishes. When I let them, guess what bothers me? They wash everything top and bottom, end to end. Then I put the stuff in the dishwasher. I haven’t figured out how to tell them to leave things a little bit dirty! If they weren’t such a pure delight, my ugliness might show through. Hard to be ugly with angels, though. I’d give you a happy face here, but I remember you don’t like them. 😀

8. This is soo sweet Oneta! A lovely treasure for your grand daughter! 🙂

9. chanty007 says:

Beautiful Grandma Neta.

10. oneta hayes says:

Thank you. It’s about 2:00 am where I am so good night, dear. I’m going to bed.