LONG MAY IT WAVE

SoCS prompt word:  Long     SoSC

How much longer will we have to wait?  How much longer before Christmas?  How long before dinner?  How long is the book I have to read?  How long does the manuscript have to be?  How long before graduation?  How long before the roast is cooked?

I had never thought of “long” as a negative word until beginning to write this post.  I can think of very few things that we like to be long?  Most of us (I think) prefer short nights, short blogs, short poems, short sermons, short trips.  We accept short attention spans – for ourselves; we want others to have long attention spans.  Obviously we want short illnesses, short wars, short arguments.  Many people want long vacations until they take one, then they are happy to arrive back home.  With few exceptions we want long life.

Remembering most of you what a short blog, I will sign off with one more thought.

THE AMERICAN FLAG – LONG MAY IT WAVE

This entry was posted in Stream of Consciousness Saturday, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to LONG MAY IT WAVE

And HAPPY 4th to you!!

Thank you. Hope the day is good for you, too. In spite of national misgivings, we are still mightily blessed by being born into this nation of ours. Not of my own doings….

Thinking it over, I decided I don’t care how long or short a sermon, a trip, a blog entry, a book, or a vacation is. I want it to be “just right” — I’m the Goldilocks in the crowd! If something is interesting, engaging, or complex, I’ll give it the attention it deserves, whatever its length. And I love the time before Christmas, the hour before dinner — all of the seasons of waiting we endure.

As for the nights? One of the singular blessing of my life is that I’ve hardly experienced a long night. I go to bed, go to sleep, and waken in the morning. And that’s the long and the short of that!

I would have a hard time generalizing in a way that fits you, Linda! But yours is one of the few blogs, more than 1000 words, I concentrate on all the way through. After about four hundred words, I scan a lot. And I have an awful time with my family and friends if I write something more than four hundred words. They want FB status check in for the day.

I guess I like short nights because I like long days – long enough that I can take a two hour nap. That is a “long” that I like. I used to hear preachers who could keep my attention for two hours and I still wanted more. That has been a long time ago, camp meeting stye. I guess the sermons or I have changed. I don’t like the sermonettes that have to be finished by 12:00. If they are not more interesting than to deserve 20 minutes, I can pass them up. Or sometimes they can give me very stimulating thoughts in a nutshell. I guess I just don’t like those planned for 20 minutes. I probably can be skewered over those thoughts!

Long time ago often grabbed the attention of young children. Today I find my grandchildren are more interested in what happened last week and what they are planning for next week. Amazing the as you celebrated your 4th July we here in Oz have experienced the most amazing election certainly I have ever. The people clearly spoke. The issues of same-sex marriage and what is ‘freedom’ ie modes of dress in public places etc have been hidden focus with of course the Christian vote not acknowledged but powerfully evident. Long may your flag fly and long may ours as well reminding us of the star constellation of the Southern Cross and God’s Promise to early settlers. Blessings and thanks.

4. judyjourneys says:

FYI: I like long naps.

5. …and that’s short and simple.

6. Pingback: Featured Posts 95 – Share your posts. | a cooking pot and twistedtales

7. Aishwarya says:

That’s a super post. We do like things short these days…actually…umm…wait! It got me thinking about so many things…
    Lovely to meet you here. Found my way here through Jackie’s mention of this one on her blog. Looking forward to more posts from you. Cheers

Thank you very much. I will be over to check your blog before too much longer I hope. My computer crashed last night so I don’t know just what I’ll be doing. I am at the library now to use their computer. Anyway I will get back when I can. 😀