UPDATING SHOE REPORT

sandals

(I deal with the reality of this picture down further in this post.)

This post is not to be read by size six shoe lovers with pretty feet.  Some of the rest of you might enjoy sending me a few “amens” and condolences.

In case you missed my “Trendy? Not Me” back a couple of years ago, please go there to provide a background for what I am about to say.

I sure enough got caught up in the flip-flop rage.  And I will admit I bought —-several; got all pedicured up with dark brownish-red toenail polish and began shuffling like the younger set do. I guess right here I need to acknowledge that the feet in the picture do not belong to me.  You will note that these toes are colored a lightish pink more fitting to a child.  I try to be realistic and stay with my more grand motherly types.   I will say, however, that most of my peers refused to come out of their canvas walking shoes.  So I came off pretty stylish until I decided I did not like to keep my toes curled up in order to keep them on.

So I found the perfect answer – flip-flops with a back strap.  And I found that a back strap made my ankles look better from the outside side and the back side; they took away from that elephant-y ankle look when observed from the back side and outside side, although it didn’t help from the inside side and front side.  But that strap was expensive.  Do you realize a flip-flop with a back strap costs about $15 more than one without a back strap?  In the summer time when one needs a new pair at least twice a month, your outgo is raised about $100 dollars just for that strap!  By the time you have paid for the whole shoe about eight times in the summer, you can kiss about $300 dollars goodbye.  But that’s enough about budget.

You wouldn’t realize that size matters so much in footwear that just requires something to cover the sole of you foot without sticking out the end far enough to trip you.  But it does!  I pointed out the first danger – too long and you will trip.  Too short and you will suffer painfully between the toes because there is no heel area to expand to.  That back strap keeps that from happening.  And as I said you really need the strap to give the illusion of trim ankles.  But with the strap you will not be able to extend the heel that extra inch back.  That’s good though because when the heel projects back farther than the shoe sole, it can cause pain where the ridge lets your weight drop and often can cause permanent damage if ignored.  Another thing, it is never satisfactory to walk through a goat head patch if you do not keep protection under the whole foot – actually, “feet” because both are exposed to the goat heads.  You will face the same problem in cuckleburrs and sandburr patches.   If you are finicky about spelling you might notice that I am using variant spelling styles.  As I said some finicky spellers might prefer, cockleburs and sand burs.  That first one just is not dictionary-spelled the way it is pronounced.  If they are wrong, I don’t see that I need to be also!  And if you ever get into either of this patches you will recognize the need for the drawn out “errr” sound – like “sand bur” just does not do justice to the real experience!  At least that’s my thinkin’ about the matter.

Well, my dear blogging friends, I almost got carried away there and forgot I am on a timed mission here at the library.  If you would appreciate more material on this subject, please pray for me that I will get a new computer so I can be freer to let my muse loose at any hour of the day.

This entry was posted in humor, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to UPDATING SHOE REPORT

1. Salvageable says:

I am praying for your new computer. By the way, what do you think of the fashion trend of men wearing white socks and leather sandals? Ever since college, it seems as though I’ve known at least one man who covered his feet that way most of the time, no matter where I lived. J.

• shoreacres says:

Socks and sandals are equivalent to socks and boat shoes, in my very humble opinion. There’s just something about those pairings that doesn’t seem right. Of course, there are plenty of things in the fashion world that don’t seem right to me, so there’s that.

• theturtle says:

Over here (Portugal) it’s considered a fashion faux pas and something to laugh about 🙂 But if people feel comfortable that way (I don’t understand why you would want to put socks and take away the advantage of sandals which is the fresh air on your toes 😦 ) or even have a medical reason for it , why not ? But still , we smile (of course discreetly) and label the owner as German (don’t ask me why)
      Turtle Hugs

Actually it took me a while to get used to the men’s bare feet just as it did for women’s, but now that that period is over, I consider socks with sandal a bit – shall I say, “Noticeable.” I think a computer is on the way. Guess I can knock off buying sandals with back straps for a while. 😀

Salvageable, my answer to you is down a few comments. I often have trouble making my answer fit where I want it. It is actually after “turtle.”

Salvageable, this is my third attempt to reply in the right place to get you. Keep looking. Thanks for your comment. I have two comments to you below “turtle.”

I giggled my way through this, Oneta. I have one pair of slip-on, thongie sandals that I bought a few years ago from Sperry. I can’t remember how expensive they were — a bit, for sure, since they’re safe to wear on boats — but they’re still in good shape. Quality wins again. I’ve never been able to wear flip-flops. It was all that concentrating on toe-scrunching to keep them on that got to me. I had a pair of these for a while, but eventually I wore them out. I loved them. Some day I may get another pair — but not in the immediate future. Vet bills just took care of my discretionary income for a while. 🙂

Linda, shoreacres, thanks so much for appreciating my humor. I had the giggles too. My two sisters always “get me” but sometimes I get such serious responses – or worse, nothing! With nothing I am left thinking I came off like a dumbbell. Now when I try to come off like a dumbbell, I really want it to be recognized as a talented genius who is trying to come off like a dumbbell! Now my sisters are going to be left out of this exchange. That’s what they get for refusing to read my blogs and comments if I am not bold enough to stick it under their noses on Face Book. I looked up your shoe ideal – and understand why you would want them. With all those straps in the back, you can shine in the ankle area. Sorry about the vet bills but glad you have a happy pet.

• shoreacres says:

If you haven’t figured it out yet, I have a somewhat quirky sense of humor, too. There’s a whole lot of funny stuff in the world, if only people would take a look around!

3. theturtle says:

Praying double : a new computer for you and another one for me 🙂
    The big craze for flip flops around here was last year and the one before , this one not so much . There were beach going flip flops , ok to go into the city flip flops , and even “dress” flip flops 🙂 , and the prices would “flip” accordingly 🙂
    Turtle Hugs

Well, turtle, I suggest you get your computer dream fulfilled, then go wild with on the beach flip flops. With all your toes (I assuming four feet), that would be a lot of sand to put up with – so get those flip flops. I’m just thinking I don’t really know how many toes a turtle has. Maybe you can fill me in on that bit of your anatomy. 😀

• theturtle says:

Oneta you’re funny 🙂
        Four feet , 5 fingers to each (4 on some of my sisters) really gets the opportunity to a lot of sand to be carried around there 😉 but as I am a sea turtle I have flippers so I can swim better (while some of us have the 5 fingers webbed together) 😀
        Turtle Hugs

Maybe we should just all chip in to buy you a new computer. Either that, or a good pair of hiking boots!

Hiking boots? What’s hiking? If it is that action that suggests strenuous movement, don’t bother. Now about buying me a computer – that’s friendship talking! Dawnliz, seriously I have a computer in the works. Actually I’m tempted to sneak this one out of the library. It is such a nice perky, at your fingertip kind of electrical sidekick. But I have never even tried smuggling a book out so I probably won’t start my thieving career with a computer from the library.

5. Debbie L says:

I had no idea the back strap could make my ankles look better! I’ve got to try them now! Lol

Oh, Debbie L, when you have tried disguising a near 200 pound body as many years as I have, you learn all sort of tricks. They work too! Witness my 63 year old marriage to a health and fitness nut. I’m sure he hasn’t noticed yet. Back to the strap – it is worth the extra dough so go for it!

6. Dawn Marie says:

Hysterical!! No need to do sit-ups now!! Hugs!!!

7. I hope you get a new one soon so that you can write at your own leisure.

8. praying oneta, you are a blessing