COMMON CORE MATH LESSON

question-mark

Letter written to my grand-son.  Just spoofing common core a bit!  If you like common core, handle me with grace and forgiveness.  😀  If you don’t like it, have a laugh!

Dan Hayes, surely you would not question my being a proponent of common core! Proof is in the pudding. Common core: I was eighty-one last year so how old am I this year (after birthday has passed of course, (if 2016’s birthday has not yet occurred this example I am giving is not the right way to figure my present age), but back to 81 last year, birthday has happened this year so how old am I now (and of course, I will be this number of years for the remainder of 2016, we will not bother with fractions at this point). In fact I will be this number of years up to my birthday in January, 2017. That is if you round figure to the lowest even year. No, I don’t mean even year like odd/even – I mean like the total of years I have lived for the complete rotation of the earth around the sun, or is it the sun around the earth? Which is right? That’s common core science; I haven’t studied that out too well.

Now back to our math question. If I was eighty-one last year, sorry that should if I “were” eighty-one, no that’s not the right mood, maybe not mood, but when stating something that might not be, which is sometimes signaled by the word “if”, you are to use “were” not “was” – is it the same in common core grammar?  I don’t know common core grammar very well.

Well, let’s assume it is the same, so back to my question. If I were eighty-one years old at my birthday anniversary on January 24th in 2015, how old will/would I—no, how old am I now. No, how old was I on January 24,  in this our present year, 2016.

Shall I repeat the question? Oh, you understand the question. Good, let’s go on to how to work out the solution. Write down 8 x’s, each x will represent the number 10 (which is the first numeral that contains two digits—that is if you do not consider negative numbers). You can write these x’s in either a horizontal or vertical direction – you might want to clump them together like a ball or put them in a circle, or you might want to make an imaginary car with an x used to represent each focal point on the car. Just anyway will do. Now make a row of 10 slashes, draw a line underneath to show that they represent the next set of ten (which by the way, I will need when I reach ninety). But I am not really ninety yet so you will need to mark off a slash for each year that I lack being ninety. See mark off one for eighty-one, two for eighty-two, three—you understand, oh, good. Now when you get to eighty-nine, you will have one slash left. Put it with your eight x’s, the one’s you used to draw the car. Hold those eight x’s in your head – no just imagine them – put the one slash with them, how many is that?

Yes, you can use two fingers to represent the two if you want to. Maybe that is better than the slash. Why not just have eight buddies come up and each of you will hold up ten fingers, we need another buddy to hold up two fingers. Now let’s count the fingers. Why fingers? Because they will each represent one year, that’s a full rotation of the earth around the sun.

Let’s take a break and go to lunch.  I’ll buy us both a sandwich.  Yes, that will be two as you can show by holding up two fingers.  I should have said “I’ll buy us each a sandwich.”  I didn’t mean one sandwich for both of us – yes, I know that’s what I said, but I changed….

This entry was posted in common core, education, humor, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to COMMON CORE MATH LESSON

HAhahaha!! I don’t even know “common core” although I’ve heard the term, but coming from you, it must pretty bad. I remember something about “new math” back in the 60’s. So is your computer up and running? Now mine is at the doctor so I’m on Bob’s big bruiser for the time being.

:D. Just having fun. I actually never had to go through that transition. We stayed “old school” longer than many then went to the reading lab for most of the elementary years I have a computer but can’t handle it. I don’t know if it is the computer, Windows 8, or if it’s just me but I’m defeated with it. It constantly hangs up in some way. I went to the library to post today. Didn’t read much because I pent much of the day at the church, hanging with friends while I I’d some embroidery. Thanks for the comment.

2. Roos Ruse says:

I chuckled all through this. I feel so much better. For as long as I can remember I have three or four non-sequential “number” days per four week period. These are days when I delight in doing my finances, crunch numbers, forecast, derive formulas and solve astounding mathematical questions all day long. Then I lock the documents so I can’t alter them until the next number day. The rest of the month I can’t add, subtract, etc. without an electronic device. I like “playing” with math, but more often than not math plays with me. This is a fun post, Oneta!

Hey, thanks. I’m glad you liked it! I have so much fun when I get off on one of these silly spells! Unfortunately I’m not too good at teaching any kind of math. The education mill was made better off when I went to the reading lab! Math was too easy for me. I was a memorized when I learned it and I was happy that way – I guess I was exactly what the modern system did not want. But I could do story problems so it seemed to work. Thanks for comments.

3. anshgupta1234 says:

xD lol

Thank you. Hope to get better acquainted with you when I get my computer woes straightened out. Getting by with kindle tonight. Posted from the library today. Hope to see you later.

I was a victim of “new math” my first year in college. There were 500 of us in class, with big tv screens in front of us, and the instructor — well, who knows where the instructor was. There were sets and subsets and all that — stuff — and I ignored it all and learned to play bridge instead, sitting in the back of the room. Being able to play bridge served me well, and when I moved to Texas, I learned it was a transferable skill. I moved to 42, and enjoyed the heck out of it. (I’m sure you must know that 42 is a dominos game.)

5. oneta hayes says:

The instructor probably had a headache. I doubt she wanted a follow up question! I did notice I made mistakes. Do you want me to explain my mistake? Okay, I guess you would just as soon not know. But all was not lost for you. You are still reaping the rewards of the class and you likely got a “proficient” grade.

6. Colette B says:

I smiled through this 🙂 Hope you’re still enjoying your offline time with embroidery and the like – will be seeing you post anything of it? It’d be lovely to see some of your needlework.

Thank you, Colette. I sure hope to be back more regularly before you forget me! Good thing to be on one’s follow. I’ll be stuck right in your e-mail so you can’t forget. 😀

• Colette B says:

I’m not keeping up well with reading while taking some online summer classes and trying to study a little – but never forget you Oneta, nor my other dear blogging neighbours. You remind me I need to read from my email previews too, I’m so slow catching up with people. I must get back to my own embroidery project too, i’ve only been and left it alone since 2012, a sampler my grandmother gave me at Christmas when i was 11 (so about 1980) – I did a little then and saved it to start again in 2009. One day it will be complete and in a frame on the wall. I’ve got a photo somewhere I’ll share with you and hope to see something of your project in the future too. Best wishes 🙂

7. luckyjc007 says:

Love this! You hit it ..dead center! So much time is spent going around the long way when it can be done so much quicker the short way students learn less! I say, cut to the chase and just get it done my generation did and I think we turned out just fine…with less time spent , as well as less money spent…on learning!!

I am reminded of the benefits of “old school” memorizing and methods when I receive change back from anyone who doesn’t have a cash register in front of him/her! Reminds me of Sergeant Friday, “Gimme the facts, Ma’am, just the facts.” Are you old enough to remember him? Most of those little brains with their endless curiosity will figure out the fancy stuff if they are not stymied with overload! Why confuse the ones who can’t understand more than the concrete facts? Some times I pine because I tried too hard to do whatever the trend was at that time.

8. I had fun reading this… I don’t even know what common core is! !

Rashmi, as I understand it, “common core” is really a term for standardized objectives in our country which I think has some merit, but I would prefer state standardization. A significant part of that agenda is that the child understands “why.” Many of my peers make a lot of fun out of the round-about way to teach certain facts, which are probably more closely understood by the term “new math” which goes to great lengths to make sure children know “why” two plus two makes four!

9. Thanks for the realistic and funny look at Common Core. It really shouldn’t be this complicated to add one to any number. It is as if they want all math, even simple math, to look and sound like algebra. Even Algebra is easier than this! The good news is that this confusion is coming to an end as most states are kicking out the Common Core. The bad news is that this has already been taught to a generation or two of kids. Now those kids are going to present problems on up the educational line because they were not instructed in a timely, logical way.

Thanks for your comment, Rebecca. Some of this stuff reminds me of having to go back and learn phonics when I was in the sixth grade. I learned to sight read so easily, I found myself needing phonics when I really started dictionary study. I’m glad no one stopped me from reading because I did not know phonics!
      It is good to hear from you. I haven’t been seeing you lately. Everything going okay?

10. This was a delightfully funny read. I don’t think I know what Common Core is or maybe I do and I forgot? Oh well I had loads of fun reading this post!! Thanks for the laughs!! 😅😆😂

Thanks, Stephanie. It was written for fun, so glad to have folks take it that way. Common Core refers to a bulk of goals to be met in each grade nationwide. It is distained by many who do not believe that children need to be taught issues specific to their own states. The math situation is poking fun at what is generally termed “new math” which insists on understand the “why” of math not just the memorizing of facts and formulas. In my opinion it is much too complicated and is a very long and round about way to present math calculations. Thanks again.