Yuck, that’s not melted ice!

Rehab – No more catheter or urinary bags!

OOPS, no one informs my bladder and so –

(Oh, the Woe!)   As back into diapers, I go!

Upon entry, I modestly claimed

I preferred a female for change.

Some girls had trouble turning my bulk,

I quickly learned the benefit of male-hulk.

So with a sigh of relief, I swallowed my grief

And humbly learned to appreciate

how gracefully they accepted my helpless state!

(Oh, how sincerely I thank the workers who could care for me in the weakest of times, and make me feel no humiliation.  You were great!  I know many of you were called by God to do just what you patiently do.  Wish I could list your names, but I probably ought not.  I hope I told you often enough so you know with what relief I saw you respond to my light.)

This entry was posted in aging, rehabilitation, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Yuck, that’s not melted ice!

I clicked on like but somehow that did not seem appropriate. I always enjoy your slant on reality of life. Thanks for posting. I remember once I too did not want a male nurse. He turned out to be the God Gift in the circumstances. What an absolute treasure!

YEAAA!!! A post! How much longer in rehab? Tubes are coming out–always good news. Patience, persistence. I admire you! You’re more of a blessing to those around than you even know, dear friend!

I came home two weeks ago. They didn’t really dismiss me but they did acknowledge that I had achieved what I needed to up to the point of new orders by doctor. I worked really hard with additional exercises every day. So I borrowed a wheelchair from the Senior Center and came home, of course dependent on my husband for a lot of things. The experience was good for me but not something I want to repeat. I’ve tried real hard to be submissive to my orders! That has not been easy because I feel really good. You are a jewel, my friend. 😀

Helplessness is hard to deal with, for any of us. When it’s combined with (shall we say) “personal issues,” it’s even harder. But my mother was with you. As she used to say, she’d much rather have a big, strapping male nurse who wouldn’t drop her than a petite little girl who hardly could turn her over. Different circumstances mean different priorities, for sure.

Linda, believe it or not, I did try the “melted ice” excuse! It didn’t fly. That little girl disgusted replied, “That’s per.” She was the only one who behaved like that. I didn’t see her again that I know of. She needed to quit or be fired. BUT MAYBE IT WAS JUST A BAD NIGHT FOR HER ALSO. I guess everyone has their limits. I have a son who was a nurse; he had a heart of gold for the old folks; sorry he did not remain in that career. He opted for outdoor kind of work. Now he has a nutrition club – and still has a heart of gold.

4. Steph McCoy says:

As I was reading this I couldn’t help but think of my mother who is now in long term care at a nursing home. Right after her fall, when she was in the ER the kindest, gentlest male nurse took care of her. He said that he always thinks of how he would want his family members to be treated. Watching my stubborn mother become rendered completely helpless was tough but I am grateful for the angels who’ve watched over her. Thank you for sharing this, it really touched me. 💖

5. Dawn Marie says:

Oneta, it is so heart-warming to hear from you and to learn you are making strides in recovery! Thank you for the authentic sharing and may you be a true witness to those watching your walk with great humility. Hugs & Blessings.

6. It’s great to have you back here, Oneta! I hope rehab is going good. It’s amazing how you make it all sound funny, only you could do that and I admire you for that! 😊

• Oneta Hayes says:

Humor does help. Thanks. I am presently transitioning to walker . I didn’t think it would be this hard but I think I’m doing well. I am at home thankfully. Have home therapist. She says I’m great!