ME, PLAIN AND SIMPLE

(Sharing a Facebook status from November ’14)

I have been challenged by a friend to tell nine things about myself, presumably things you might not have known before. So here goes:
Although I was raised on a farm, I sat on a horse only one time. He lifted one leg, I chickened out, daddy lifted me off. That was it for all time!
I read all the Zane Grey books in the county library (maybe twenty or so) when I was a teen.
When I came to OKC, someone in a store made a comment about the OU/CU game. I had no idea what he was talking about.
I was a bit unsettled about marrying an Englishman (what if he wanted to go there to live). My mother was the one who settled my fears. (Sammy has no idea about that conversation.)
Childbirth was EZ for me – Carl and Roger each demanded about one or two hours attention before they popped into this world.
I once won a new Oldsmobile. (I feel bad about saying that because it was a God gift for me, not a matter of winning.)
I won a couple of speech contests, local and area.
Although I loved grammar, I was petrified of any kind of paragraph or essay writing even to the time I applied for my MA degree. The thing that made me most nervous was “turn the paper over and write a paragraph about yourself.”
The first “God inspired” article I ever wrote was one about Sunday School. It was printed in a couple of church papers.

This entry was posted in me, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to ME, PLAIN AND SIMPLE

1. My father-in-law turned me onto Zane Grey. I think I read close to all of them. I recall seeing one of those books on the table of an old tug owned by an Irishman. (picture Robert Shaw of JAWS.) I didn’t read but a few pages of that book all those years ago but recalled it with a certain curiosity when my father-in-law offered his books for me to borrow. I still have one I picked up at a second hand store to remind myself of Zane’s techniques when I’m stuck in my writing. (Zane and Mary Stewart,and a few others.) It’s cool to discover other readers, especially other women who appreciate his stories.

My daddy read western or detective magazines, but I don’t recall that he read books until later in life. I don’t really know how I got into Zane Gray, but I stayed there as long as I could. I have two or three books in my collection, but chose not to begin with them – there are so many! Font is so small, I don’t read that type book any more. Thanks for commenting.

I read Zane Grey and my dad particularly loved all westerns etc. My passion for a time was Tarzan. Absolutely fascinated by the ‘wildness’ of the original ape-man and his refining and ie change by ‘love’. Thank you for interesting insight to your early life.

I have never read a Tarzan book nor seen a movie. I think he was a little later in my life; I was too busy. I have a grandson and his wife who had a picture recently that I labeled Tarzan and Jane. I might blog it just for fun. If I can get the picture from FB to my blog. Maybe I’ll try. 😀

I think I remember that Oldsmobile. My dad loved Oldsmobiles, too — but the first car I remember was, I believe, a Packard. I have a photo of me “helping” him wash it, so if I were really interested I suppose I could ID the car, but that isn’t really the best part of the memory. 🙂

It was red and white, 1955. Young people now might wonder why I was so excited by an old 1955 Olds. It wasn’t old then – brand spankin’ new! We didn’t have it long enough to wash it. Car washing with daddy would be a joy for a little girl. Sweet memories.

4. Dawn Marie says:

Wow! I am so inspired. And I now know why we are kindred-spirits, without every having met, (isn’t our God sooooo BIG!) Each of my child-births were done naturally, and yes there was pain, but the peace enveloped around it made it quite ‘effortless.’ And we too won a car!!! (I won’t go into the long story behind it, but yes it was prayed for.) Our son was stationed in OK and we were stuck in a meat cooler in a grocery-store upon our inaugural visit, due to a Tornado that traveled through. I was chosen by our graduating class as ‘faculty choice’ to deliver a commencement speech. And I use-to be petrified every time I would write a post…that the grammar would be so horrific my Advanced English Teacher would scribble red markings all across it! I look forward to reading each of your posts…but now I understand so much more about ‘us!’ Hugs!

You are a daughter after my own heart! Truly it is wonderful to be a part of God’s family. I’m amazed that so many would choose any other way of life itself. And we will certainly get a big payoff when life is over. As you said, he is sooooooo BIG!