If for love you are giving, then with peace you will be living.
If for any other reason, you’ve missed the spirit of the season.
Why do we give gifts at Christmas time?
- It’s a trade-off; they give to us so we have to give back.
- We have done it so long, they will think we are broke if we don’t.
- To outdo the other fellow.
- It the custom; it’s expected of me.
- It will look like I don’t love them if I don’t give a present.
- It’s my duty to my employees; it’s my duty to my employer.
- I want to go to the party so I have to take something
- As this list shows, we so often give “to be seen of men.” It’s our duty.
My challenge: Can I give something to the needy and keep it a secret? Or is it likely that I will say something like this: “I’m not giving many presents this year because I’m sending my Christmas money to the food bank.” Oh, dear, sometimes I just can’t help myself!
Matthew 6:2 ….when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets…to be honored by men…. 3 But when you give to the needy, (do it in secret) …then your Father will reward you.