GIVING

gift-small

If for love you are giving, then with peace you will be living.

If for any other reason, you’ve missed the spirit of the season.

Why do we give gifts at Christmas time?

•  It’s a trade-off; they give to us so we have to give back.
  • We have done it so long, they will think we are broke if we don’t.
  • To outdo the other fellow.
  • It the custom; it’s expected of me.
  • It will look like I don’t love them if I don’t give a present.
  • It’s my duty to my employees; it’s my duty to my employer.
  • I want to go to the party so I have to take something
  • As this list shows, we so often give  “to be seen of men.”  It’s our duty.

My challenge:  Can I give something to the needy and keep it a secret?  Or is it likely that I will say something like this:  “I’m not giving many presents this year because I’m sending my Christmas money to the food bank.”  Oh, dear, sometimes I just can’t help myself!

Matthew 6:2  ….when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets…to be honored by men…. 3 But when you give to the needy, (do it in secret) …then your Father will reward you.

This entry was posted in Christmas, Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to GIVING

That’s an interesting list of reasons. I suppose one or more apply to all of us at different times. No matter — I’m still opposed to the argument of people who say we shouldn’t give gifts at all, ostensibly to be more “spiritual.” Gifts incarnate love. What could be better?

2. oneta hayes says:

I also have probably done all. That’s the reason the list was easy But I think everybody sees through the hypocrisy of it. And I think one should give to needy, no matter what the reason. They still need it. I believe also, that one should begin doing good for one another – even “your enemy.” You are right that actions beget love. Like John says (in my words) don’t just say you love somebody, show it by your actions. And as far as “spiritual” nothing could be more scriptural than Gift giving at Christmas time. Thanks. Perhaps I need to write another post!

3. Salvageable says:

As I mature, I find that I enjoy watching the reaction of someone opening a thoughtfully-chosen gift even more than I enjoy opening my own gifts. Giving to the needy is of course something different, but giving that someone else may have joy is always good. J.

4. This is SO Good, Oneta!!! Amen! God bless you abundantly ❤

Thank you, Stella. I realize that it is necessary to give for some of the reasons I have listed. We must go along with custom, but I wanted to present the argument that we really need to go beyond what is “expected” in order to really “give a cup of water” in Jesus name.

• I understood your meaning perfectly, Oneta–and I especially loved what you mentioned, about it being so hard to give to charities without telling somebody 🙂 If we’re honest, we’re all so hungry for recognition and appreciation somewhere…and it can be difficult to just be satisfied knowing that the Lord has noticed, that He keeps the books perfectly 🙂 God bless you so abundantly–I can tell that you’re also a “cheerful giver”! ❤

You said it! It is so hard to be humble! I guess one of my greatest spiritual battles is to get rid of the “Big I” attitude. It is odd, since I really have had an upbringing of feeling rather inferior. Thanks, Stella, for joining in the conversation.

• I understand you, dear heart–my upbringing was not one of nurturing and love, and I felt “less than” everyone and everything–like a cipher. Jesus has so much work to do with some of us, loving us into wholeness ❤

Because in my heart I want to give because it is Christmas. I have found great joy in simply taking a box of small Christmas reminders to the staff and children of a local school. They don’t even need to know who brought it and certainly no one would be giving me a gift. Same with gifts left for charities and boxes for children overseas etc. it would be ruined if anyone was told the what and the how of this kind of ‘giving’ …….one the Lord knows. For family and friends it is sad that this ‘pressure’ to give and receive’ is reflected so often in the grandchildren. As I child I lacked nothing but the great joy was always the big Christmas Tree in the Salvation Army foyer where we would make at school, buy with money earned etc and place wrapped on the tree for some ‘unknown’ child in need. it really cemented for me what the spirit of Christmas is really meant to be. Give with your smile, your love, your life, Give cheerfully and abundantly. Thank you Oneta and God bless! .

6. oneta hayes says:

Faye, sounds like you really get the spirit of Christmas. It is interesting to me that the Magi who brought gifts making it possible for Joseph to take his family into Egypt, are not named I guess they must not have cared to go down in history for their act. At least as far as I know. I think their are names that are assumed to be the Magi. I do believe we often have to “cooperate” with custom, and have no problem with that. But to truly follow the Christmas spirit we do the other things also.