THE “WHIFF” EFFECT

pepper

When my sons were young, some people thought I was partial to one of them.  The good thing was that some thought I was partial to the other.  I took that as pretty good evidence that I was not partial!  When I was pregnant the second time (with Roger), I remember thinking, “I want this child.  I will be a good mother, but I will never love him like I love Carl.”  It wasn’t true.  I found that love multiplies rather than divides.

I’m saying this because I want to ask you a question?  Does it seem to you like God loves you better than anybody else, or does it seem like God loves others better than you?

Let me suggest an experiment.  If you passed a pepper shaker down a row of ten people and asked them to take a sniff, would number ten get less of a whiff than number one?  What if a hundred people sniffed?  Would the pepper be less potent for number one hundred?

Perhaps the pepper would appear to be more or less potent to some than others because of the “sniffer” not because of the pepper. You might see the effect on some people.  Perhaps they sneeze or cough.  The pepper was the same but some people took a bigger sniff.

So God is the pepper.  We are the sniffers.   God’s love does not change but the effect of his love may appear greater in some than in others.  If you want more effect, sit close and take a big whiff.

This entry was posted in God's love, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to THE “WHIFF” EFFECT

Great illustration. Our youngest son grew up convinced he was loved ‘less’ than his older brother and sister. (Perhaps he thought he was a ‘mistake’.) Your illustration in this story is such a good illustration. Our love may be imperfect but God’s Love depends on our closeness to HIM. Thanks.

Certainly the “recognition” of God’s love depends on time spent with him in close communion. Not many Bible characters were known as “friends of God;” Those who were spent time with him. Moses, Abraham, Enoch, Adam, disciples with Jesus. But I believe there are a lot of humble unknowns who also qualify for that close relationship with him.

2. Hayley says:

Oh wow I love this analogy Oneta, what a wonderful post to illustrate the love of God xx

3. Wonderful post! I had similar experience at the time of my second delivery and similar thoughts plagued my mind but you are right, love multiplies rather than dividing. God’s love is also similar for all his children…great example of pepper 🙂

Thank you, Feelings… I know it is discouraging sometimes when it seems like mom, dad, God and everybody in between are uncaring. Seldom is that true. Of course, it is never true of the Lord. Even for poor Job, he just had a period when he couldn’t see the positives. He had no idea he was in such trouble because God thought so much of him. Umm. Kind of hard to figure, isn’t it? But one just has to get to the end! I’m glad your experience has shown how much love really does not divide. If it seems to happen, the “love” was false to start with; more like a possessiveness. That would be sad.

4. Deb Glover says:

You’ve given me something to reflect on! God’s love is ever unwavering, we just need to stay closer and longer. Thanks for sharing this.

5. Dawn Marie says:

I LOVE ❤️ THIS!! And I’m pretty certain pepper-shakers will never quite be the same again for me! Thank you for the reminder of Gods infinite love! ❤️

This day and age young people get into so much trouble sniffing things they ought not glue, gas, paint, etc. How can we get them past that and on to taking a big whiff of God. This lesson would probably speak to youth. Hope some teachers and youth leaders will use it for an object lesson. Thanks, Dawn.

6. Salvageable says:

Having raised several children–including twins–I can relate to this post. It saddens me that people judge how much God loves them by how much property they own, how good their health is, or other worldly matters. God loves us all, and while his love may be expressed in different ways to different people, that happens because God knows what is best for each of us. J.

7. Oh for goodness sakes! You have me laughing Oneta. Never in my life have I heard anyone put it the way you just did. You lightened my day. Making me sneeze a little too. 🙂