MY BRUISED TOE

little-toe

Most often I am barefoot when in the house; my husband wears socks without shoes most of the time.  That is presenting difficulties to me this week, because I want a look at his second right toe without him knowing I’m looking.  …

Perhaps I should start at the beginning.  Last week I greeted him with the sad news that I had stubbed my little toe in the darkness of my bathroom break.  He immediately says, “I did too.”  At that point I had to express sympathy.  He didn’t because he had already replied to my plight, even though his reply gave me no sympathy whatsoever.

I let a day or two pass.  Then lifting my foot for his perusal, I said, “I have a bruise on my stubbed toe.”  Lifting his foot and removing his sock, he said, “I do too.”

Of course the words came with a view of his second right toe, which was bruised but not as badly as mine.  But I felt it would be unkind of me to say, “Well, mine is worse.”  So I had to say, “Oh, I’m sorry.”  And as before there was no need for him to reply, since of course, he had already replied by showing me his bruised second toe.

I still have a bruise.  It covers about one and half square inches at the lower part of my toe and extending down the foot area; there’s even a bit on the neighboring toe.  That’s a big bruise and it is lasting a long time.

f I just come outright and say, “My toe is still bruised,” and his is still bruised…you already know.  He shows me his bruise, I say, “I’m sorry. That must have hurt badly.” No need for further reply.

So I’m hoping to see his toe and to see that he has no bruise left.  Then, since my bruise remains, I can say, “Look, honey, my toe is still bruised.”  I don’t know though if that would get my desired response.  He would probably say, “It’s because of your blood situation.  You know the doctor says for you to remember that you might bruise easily even if it doesn’t hurt much.”

Perhaps I should just drop the matter.

This entry was posted in humor, marriage, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to MY BRUISED TOE

1. Booky Glover says:

😊 Take the socks off him while he sleeps… How about that?

Booky, it would require light. But you remind me of another long standing disagreement we have. I like my sheet tucked in at the bottom. He lays on his back to show how that hurts his toes, kicks sheet out, then comfortably turns to his side. I tell him all the time that he does not sleep with his toes turned up but it makes no difference! Two beds is the way to go, since I can’t stand all that looseness in my sheet. 😀

2. calensariel says:

LOL! This sounds SO familiar! Loved this post. 😀

3. Salvageable says:

My daughters can relate to bruised toes. They are dancers, and they are always bandaging and wrapping their poor toes to survive another dance. J.

OH THIS SOUNDS FAMILIAR! And you’ve been married HOW many years? I’ve finally decided there’s just no beating around the bush with Bob. If I want a certain response, I have to tell him, “Dude, here’s what I want”…..he can do a LOT of things, but he can’t read my mind (which is usually a really good thing; he thinks it’s a pretty scary place in there anyway!) Blessings to you two wonderful people!

5. Yinglan says:

Ouch, don’t you hate it when that happens? So annoying. Hope your bruise heals soon. 🙂

Well, I’m here to offer sympathy. I tend to run things like chair legs between my little toe and the one next to it, and it hurts like crazy. Sometimes I think I must have broken it, but of course I don’t. It’s just bruised, and painful. The next time you do that (I’m sure there will be a next time) tape the bruised toe next to one of the other ones. For some strange reason, it seems to help.

I don’t look forward to having the experience again, but, on the other hand, I would hate to think I won’t be around long enough not to! Tape two together, huh? Must be a matter of misery loves company.

7. Love this post. It reminded me of the time my mom broke her two “end toes.” She went to the hospital and they put her in a cast, the type of cast that covered her calf and her foot but left all her toes exposed!