MY “BIRTH” DAY

birthday-to-meI’ve lived 83 years and I’m reminded of Edith Bunker who was asked by an old school chum what she had been doing since high school. She began by saying something like “Well, I worked for two months at Lawson’s hardware, then I got a chance to go to Benny’s grocery where I was a checker for 6 weeks. After that I got a job at the drugstore and worked there for 3 months —“ The memory of her bleary-eyed questioner makes me think I should skip some details, so I have decided to give you only the beginning of my bio.

Eighty-three years ago, January 23 was a Tuesday. Now what could be the reason I would be pointing out that bit of trivia? It was rather an important date to me because, although that January night was quite cold, I was warm and snug – well, at least I think I was! It was the last night I was in my mother’s womb. After midnight on January 24, I was yanked out into the world where I had to do my own breathing, crying, eating. I turned out liking the breathing and eating all right but the crying was rather exhausting.

I was a first-born of a first-born of a first-born so I was special. My nursery was in the same room my father prepared for his new bride about a year earlier on my grandfather’s estate. – Well, actually it was a farm and my nursery consisted of a cradle in the corner of the maybe 16 x 20 foot dugout. My cement dugout probably made Lincoln’s log cabin look like paradise but I was happy enough. Nothing of my own doings, but I was “dumped out” into an extended family of Christians—Pentecostal Holiness people, loved and loving. So began my first decade. Blessed beyond any earthly desire!

This entry was posted in birthday, family, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to MY “BIRTH” DAY

1. calensariel says:

How interesting to be able to see that generational line through your life. Very cool. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ONETA!!!

I was still a sinner, but I definitely had advantages and encouragement to get acquainted with my Redeemer! Just being thankful. Good news is that everyone has the opportunity to make the same choice as I did, no matter their circumstances. 😀

2. Alexis Rose says:

Happy Birthday!! 😀

3. A most Happy “Birth” Day to you….May your day always be as blessed as the first.

4. mandibelle16 says:

Happy Birthday Oneta! I hope have a wonderful day with friends and family. You have always impressed me, how you embrace writing and do it even online in blogging, writing so well and sharing your faith openly. May you have many healthy years to come!

Thank you, sweet girl My family honored me on Friday night – got all the birthday trappings – cake, candles, candy, card, roses, “smell goods,” dinner, hugs, and kisses. I’m glad I was able to attend! 😀

5. Booky Glover says:

Happy birthday Oneta!

6. luckyjc007 says:

Happy Birthday Oneta!

I receive that with thanks, dear lady. Hope you have a beautiful song highlighting your day. I’m guessing you might be the kind of person who has a song playing internally all day. Am I right?

7. Charla Johnson says:

Happy birthday, Oneta Ruth. Growing up, I only heard you called your full name. A lot of my relatives are turning 83. I, too, wish you a beautiful day, and a celebration with your close relatives.

Charla, a blessing of the social networking ability is to renew relationships. Yes, I was Oneta Ruth to mother and I’m sure the family who basically only knew me through her. Thanks for the birthday wish.

8. Thank you for sharing a piece of your history. I’m sorry I missed your birthday yesterday. I hope you had a most marvelous day ❤

9. Yinglan says:

Happy Birthday, Oneta!

Happy Birthday. Oneta. Interesting post. Thank you for your sharing.

11. judyjourneys says:

Happy birthday, Oneta! You’re a blessing to know.

12. Happy, happy “birth” day Oneta!!! Love and hugs, N 😉 ❤

13. ~M says:

This made me smile! Happy Birthday! 🙂

14. Oh! my word. 83. You are blessed beyond measure and words Oneta. Happy birthday my dear lady. May the good Lord bless you with many more beautiful years as you age in grace and wisdom.

Dear Jacque, I accept your blessings and have faith that I will be here doing what I’m doing for some time yet. One of those things is journeying with you! I am indeed blessed.

15. simpledimple says:

Happy Happy Birthday to you Ma’am Oneta! God bless your new age and I tap into this longevity. You are indeed blessed. 🙂

16. oneta hayes says:

Thanks, dear. Just think if I had not had that crisis in 2013, I might never have sat myself down to learn blogging. In that case I would have had to wait for heaven to know you. 😀 It is wonderful to know God cares and has a plan (one we probably consider an alternate plan) for our lives. I have to believe the detour came about in my life because it was God’s design for me. 😀

17. Steph McCoy says:

Sending belated birthday wishes to you Oneta. I hope you enjoyed your day. 🎉🎉🎉

18. Salvageable says:

Happy birthday one day late. Wednesday’s child, the poem says, is full of woe, but that does not fit you. Like Tuesday’s child, you are full of grace. J.

Fortunately all proverbs are not true! This makes me wonder though where this saying about birth days originated. Don’t have time to research right now, but I’ll put the thought away, and maybe remember it again some day. Thank you very much for your kind words.

19. Happy Birthday my dear Oneta! God bless you and I hope you enjoy your day! ❤

Oh, my! Happy birthday wishes for you, Oneta. It’s been such a pleasure to get to know you, and I hope you have many more fruitful years of sharing your life and faith with us.

I was tickled to read about your start in a dugout. When I was in the Texas town of Panhandle, they had a collection of historic artifacts on the town square: windmill, caboose, an early house, and so on. They also had this dugout. I thought you’d get a kick out of seeing it.

Linda, I love the picture! The dugout was there enough years for me to remember it. Daddy bought that place from Granddad when I was about 11. I think it was still there then. I think my mom did away with it I’ve mentioned before that nothing like a little old wall or two kept her back from doing what she wanted! I know the entrance was the same and there was a window above ground on the north and south but not west. Entrance was on the east. Thanks so much. You are amazing to have just the thing to give me a boost. And thanks for the birthday blessings.

21. Pingback: The Daily Prompt – Ten! | Giggles & Tales

22. Dawn Marie says:

Loved & loving…how perfectly fitting for such a sweet soul as you! Happy belated my dearest!

23. Pingback: Featured Posts – Share Your Post Links | a cooking pot and twisted tales

24. fielicity says:

Are you an Apostolic Pentecostal?

My grandfather and his brother were some sort of drinking, gambling kind of men before my arrival. They were both converted and became Pentecostal preachers. My Uncle Dick Rodgers was of the Apostolic Pentecostals and my Grandad Jim Rodgers was Pentecostal Holiness. I don’t know the reason why the difference except it was probably because of location. Dick was in Oklahoma; Jim was in Colorado. I’ve lost track of most of my uncle’s family, but my grandad
      ‘s family mostly remained in the Pentecostal groups of some sort. I did until about three years ago when, believe it or not, I joined the Baptists. My Pentecostal/Assembly of God became to technological for me. I remain old style. However, most of my offspring are into the big stuff. Does any of that ring a bell with you? Thanks for commenting. You have a nice blog; I’ll hop over and follow.