WHY DOES GOD HIDE?

A story is told that a man went to heaven and asked permission to return to earth to get something that was very valuable to him.  The angel gave him permission to do so.  The man returned to heaven’s gates with a wheelbarrow full of gold.  The angel said to him, “Why ever did you want to bring a load of street pavement?”

Value of an item is based on its rarity.  If diamonds were as abundant as street gravel, they would be of little value although they would still be beautiful.      With this consideration in mind, one might evaluate why God seems to hide himself.  God is everywhere, but He is not commonplace!  God is a loving Father, but He is not a sugar daddy!  God is as near as one’s heartbeat, but He cannot be found if one does not seek diligently for Him.  God wants to do good for us, but He will do so only if we trust Him even if it looks like He does not care.

In 2 Chron. 7:14, God tells his people what to do to turn His favor to one’s nation and have their sins forgiven – “humble yourselves, pray, seek my face, and turn from your wicked ways.”  What is meant by seeking God’s face?  Of the four instructions above, seek my face is the one which means to get acquainted with Him, know Him. Hunger and thirst for Him.

In the 27th Psalm, David says, “When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek. Hide not thy face far from me; . . . “ (v. 8 & 9).

God wants us to know Him, to trust him, to have faith in Him.  Adrian Rogers said, “If God wanted to prove Himself, He could roll back the heavens and make Himself known with a display of grandeur, might, and glory.  However, such displays would render faith unnecessary.”  He wants us to look for him, have faith and trust in Him.  And when we find a personal relationship with Him, we know we have found a real diamond  – rare and beautiful.

This entry was posted in God, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to WHY DOES GOD HIDE?

1. simpledimple says:

Beautiful post. Knowing God and having a personal relationship with HIM is one of the most wonderful experiences I cherish. 🙂

2. Elihu says:

I read a lot of biographies, and one thing I have come to realize is the effort to discover creates greater appreciation for the discovery. God, in His infinite wisdom, makes Himself the treasure to seek. The proverb writer says, “It is the glory of God to conceal a matter and the glory of kings to search it out.” Are we behaving as kings would or do we treat God as one of those “things we’ll get to someday.” Love this thought provoking post, Oneta. God bless you.

Elihu, thanks for adding those great statements to my thoughts. Ahh, that proverb is so applicable. And so true. Even in today’s educational system, we are taught to encourage discovery rather than giving out information.

3. *Rae says:

I loved this! I never heard the parable mentioned at the beginning about gold, but it was very cute and heartwarming. Thank you for sharing this post! Just last night i was asking God was He was so close but hidden.

Sorry to be late answering. Missed this first pass through. I do thank you so much for your nice words. And it is great if it added new thoughts for you in a timely way. 😀

4. Salvageable says:

I have taught World Religions to college students, and on the last session before the final exam, I have started a discussion by asking them, “Assuming there is a God, what would he have to do to prove his existence to the world?” One student proposed a major miracle at a widely-watched event like the Super Bowl. Others said no, if they saw it on TV, they would assume it was fake. A couple other suggestions also got shot down. A different group of students decided that, whatever God did, everyone would interpret it according to his or her own religion.
    In some ways, God is hidden. In other ways, he speaks as clearly as anyone else. But if people will not listen to Moses and the prophets, they will not listen even if someone should rise from the dead. J.

A very interesting question. Thanks for sharing the question, the answer, and the conclusions. For me, nature itself proves a God But of course, that is what I believe. If I didn’t I guess I would be theorizing some of the claims that I consider so ridiculous. Jesus said, “My sheep know my voice.” But there must be a belief before that or one cannot be among his sheep. Thanks for running this through my head again. 😀

This is a beautiful and thought-provoking in its simplicity. I was just contemplating that “My sheep know My voice” thing yesterday, and still struggle with that sometimes, but then, I’m not necessarily talking all the time either, I supposed.

He is usually heard better in those “Be still, and know that I am God,” moments. I think I remember you remarking about my “time is the currency used by God,” or something similar to that. It is the best way to give Him all

Great Blog. Thought provoking in its absolute Truth and simplicity. I love the comments on what you wrote as well. Their contributions are valued also. Thank you Oneta. We are HIS.. We must continue to ask for the Grace and Forgiveness to walk on being His in a world of change. He alone is unchangeable!

7. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, I liked the way you presented faith. BTW, I like Adrian Rogers also.

8. Pingback: When there is a God is it possible to relate to Him – Relating to God