TRAPS OF THE MODERN WORLD

“The pictures that fascinate are those that suggest more than they reveal…” (F. B. Meyer).  Hold that thought while I tread where angels fear to tread.

Do the commercials on TV astound you?  In this day with all the “privacy” rights that are manufactured on certain issues, I wonder at the lack of “privacy” in sending junk into my house.  I realize I could turn it off, but it’s not very easy to know what commercial is coming on next and to be all primed to jump up and turn it off.  And I remind you these commercials come on news shows.  Where’s the remote when you need it?

My sister commented that she remembered when you could not advertise women’s undies on people; they had to use manikins or something else.  And TV couldn’t show a couple in a bed together, even if they were married to each other in real life, remember Lucy and Ricky?

One Sunday morning I was taking my preteen or early teen granddaughters to church.  We were going to stop at Walmart to buy panty hose for them because their dresses were short.  I told them they ought not wear dresses that short unless they wore hose.  I suggested that boys could “fantasize” about how easy it would be to see their private parts.  One of them was aghast as she said, “Gramma, should you be talking to us like that?”  Then I compare that with what is shown under the guise of entertainment in movies, TV, and such.

Now, I go where angels do not tread.  Listen to the women howl, “The way I dress does not give a guy permission to rape/touch/harass/oogle/whistle at/or make any other unwanted advances toward me.”  Agree, 100%.  But it’s like setting a trap, baiting it with cheese, and blaming the mouse for liking cheese.

Now back to my beginning quote by F. B. Meyer.  There was a time when the accidental glimpse of a girl’s trim ankle, caught a guy’s attention.  Fascinating, alluring, with some mystery involved.  Now the beaches are full of beautiful girls in strings at the top and bottom.  All looking alike.  About the only thing a guy is left to think about is which one he can get in bed quickest.  The louse, or is it mouse.  Let’s go bigger, He’s a rat and she’s the bait.

Oh, one more thing, my lesson to the girls about the short skirts without hose.  It only lasted until they saw the women on the platform dressed the way I said not to.  I gave up.

I offer the following comment from a blogger.  It so well presents the danger of the “traps of man and the modern world” that awaits our young people.

May I perhaps just leave a few words for the parents who DO train their children up right, who use morals as their guide and instruct them using scripture & church teachings as their foundation; but whose children still fall into the traps of man and the modern world. I want them to know they have not failed. And I want them to know that our Heavenly Father knows their broken-heart well. But most especially that He still treasures and loves them for having tried so earnestly to guard & guide them along the way. I pray they not judge themselves too harshly and trust that by god’s grace perhaps they’ll be blessed enough to see the Shephard one day bring them back to the flock! OH, glorious day!”  (underlined by me)

In spite of all, continue to teach a solid moral foundation to your children.  They might fall into traps, but all traps do not kill!  When they escape they will need security to return to.  We have God’s promise “unto the third and fourth generation.”  Continue in prayer and promise!

This entry was posted in sexual situations, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to TRAPS OF THE MODERN WORLD

1. Well said! I laughed about how you tread where angels fear to go. Sometimes my kids and grand kids are shocked, shocked, I tell you, that I would have any knowledge of these things at all. 🙂

It’s a bit sad for girls these days, so much of how we dress and act is about respecting ourselves, indicating to others that we have worth and value and expect to be treated accordingly. It’s not about shame or what men should or should not do, it’s about knowing your own value as a whole person.

2. Laura says:

The world and its values has changed so much. I really can’t handle to commercials or TV shows these days! Fast food restaurants use sexual innuendos to sell food, vulgar language is worse than ever and nudity is the name of the game. Bleeps and blurs are used but what’s the point? It’s still seen and heard! It just breaks my heart! 💔

Thanks for your comment, Laura. Surely we will reach a bottom-out before much longer. I have young people who seem to be optimistic about their generation – those somewhat younger than the millenniums. I hope for the voucher system to be put in effect so there will be some competition for the schools to wise-up. Well, I can hope, can’t I? 😀

The coarsening of society in general distresses me. It’s not just the girls with their short dresses, it’s also the boys with their pants around their ankles — and so on and so forth, ad nauseum.
    Such things don’t stand alone, of course. There’s the language, the lack of manners, the fragmenting of the family. My, my — if I keep going, I’ll be ready to yell, “You kids get off my lawn!”

But there’s something else. The home and the lessons it teaches, the tone it sets, is critical. As you point out, if the right lessons are taught, they will be remembered — even if it’s later rather than sooner!

It is heart breaking to see how little some value themselves. I used to volunteer at a Teen Challenge Center, private Christian organization, where young men spent time to recover mostly from drugs. Almost all of them had a church background. I believe they were evidence of the prayers that had been prayed for them. That was comforting but it made me sorrow for those who did not have that influence. Thanks, Linda. You been traveling again? I saw you “heron” post, but I’ve missed you.

4. I used to be so grateful I had boys to raise so I wouldn’t have to deal with the issue of clothing. And then I realized it was my boys who were having to deal with sensory overload when it came to how the girls and women dressed (yes, even in church). I figured my job was to constantly tell my sons that their job was to keep their girlfriend pure.
    As a girl I well remember my dad telling us “Boys and men will not buy the cow if they can get the milk for free.” (He had no fear of going where angels feared to tread.)

5. Salvageable says:

Great post! I’ve wanted to write a post about women’s ankles and how men today never mention that feature. When I started trying to observe ankles downtown I saw instead boots with skinny jeans or yoga pants–had to look away! Young girls do need to be reminded that other people are looking. That goes for the upper body too. Are you going to be kneeling at the altar? Don’t give the preacher too much to see! J.

Thanks for adding to my thoughts. It is true that one can be fully covered and still be less than modest. Some can definitely compete with the caricature of the plumber working under the sink! 😀

Thank you for comments. And for the courage of your blogs. Even once where going to church was considered a time to ‘dress up’ today practically anything goes. Yes come as you are…..God sees only the heart…..BUT girls are you dressing to be honoring to God or to entice those around.? Pastors and husbands and sons are human. It is normal to ‘look’. Is it not a more ‘godly’ thing to do to dress in a manner which is God focussed and not likely to become ‘human’ focussed? I mentioned this to a grand-daughter who gave me a big hug and said………’Aw Gran no one thinks like that anymore. Come to church just as you would go anywhere else’. Yep! no sense of the sacred space as opposed to the secular. Thank God for one Cathedral in Perth in Australia which has a sign. ‘ This building was dedicated to a Higher Person so we respectfully advise all visitors or worshippers you are welcome to come and spend time here but we ask you to behave, dress, act, in a way honoring this Higher Person. If you do not believe in this Higher Person then come….. be silent…or please leave go and visit or stay awhile in a concert hall or a beach pavilion. This place is a place sanctified. ‘

What really irritates me is for a person to “dress down” to go to church. Many dress up for work, come home, put on comfies for going to church. There is a terrific scripture that I can’t place just now, but it is something about “would you offer that to the governor?” I don’t remember the translation, but I love it. I’ll find it. 😀

I found it. Mal. 1:8 talking about offering blemished sacrifices, “Try offering them to your governor!” (NIV) Actually I think God deserves even more respect than the governor.

7. Dawn Marie says:

Another post well written!! (And I could not have said it better myself. 😉) Blessings to you for your continued bravery.