REMEMBERING KING

germanshepherd

Remembering King,

Alert, loving, and loyal.

His days were too short.

Fun and sweet story about our King.  One morning just after daybreak, I heard a ruckus in the back yard.  Looking out the window, without my glasses, I saw King with a goose.  The goose’s head was in King’s mouth.  I yelled at him to turn loose the goose.  After repeated orders which he did not respond to, I put on my glasses and high-tailed it out the back door to free the goose and “rebuke” the dog for not obeying me.  As I drew closer to the dog, I could see that he was standing there timidly waiting for someone to come rescue him.  The goose had a grip on King’s tongue and would not let go!

Moral?  There must be a lesson here about getting hold of something that won’t let go.  It probably started out as play.

Ronovan writes haiku  Challenge #139, king and day

This entry was posted in Ronovan Writes Haiku Challenge, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to REMEMBERING KING

1. Aw poor King! Definitely a lesson in there somewhere. Never mess with a goose!

2. Laura says:

Oh no! That’s definitely not the ending I expected! 😬

I love this story. Wonderful dog. Amazing how what we ‘see’ is not the whole truth. Thank you.

Someone on FB pointed out your point about not believing what we see, or something along that line. Good lesson point.
      I looked us your books on Amazon last night. Your novels looked like the kind of plots I would enjoy. I will probably get to them before long, since I see you most days, so I won’t forget!

What a great story to start my morning. I really did enjoy it. Geese can be bold, to say the least. I learned as a pretty young kid that I could mess with the chickens all I wanted, but I’d best leave those geese alone. There’s nothing like being chased by a goose to impress a five-year-old.

That’s the same response I get from my little sister who read this on FB. She thought maybe we had a duck instead of a goose. My son said we had got it by some happen-chance because it was near Easter, but it was definitely a goose, long necked and laid goose eggs. He didn’t remember what happened to it. We probably took it to the lake to free ourselves and our German Shepherd. They both told me I was wrong about his name; he was Griff, not King. If I had remembered that, I would not have been able to use it for that haiku. Too late now. King was apparently a dog that belonged to my parents. My family on FB keep me accountable!

5. Lovely haiku and homage to King. ❤

Thank you, Vashi. I haven’t seen you in quite a while. Are you still active on BW? Maybe I have you confused with another Vashti. If so, I sending smiles anyway. 😀

6. V K Browne says:

A lovely story. I have Juno, a GSD, and we have Jack, a black cat, who seems to find joy in getting Juno into trouble.