MORE 2nd NIV GRIPES

slippery slope lrg

A way-back-when story. It was about 1953 or 54, the church was raising money for something. Sammy and I had no money but we had just bought our first TV. We decided to give the church the TV so they could sell it and keep the money. I guess a pay day must have come along because we decided we could buy back our TV from them which we did.

In the forties and fifties when television was becoming available to most people,  the “holiness/Pentecostal kinds of churches” were very cautious about watching television, especially movies.

I was especially influenced by Psalms 101:3, “I will set no wicked thing before my eyes…” Some translations said evil thing, worthless thing, (maybe others). Well, we kept the TV and we started bringing in the apparatus for hooking up movies. But, I still operated pretty well with Ps 101:3 as my guide.

I believe some made their decision about what to watch or not to watch,  based on I Thes. 5:22 about avoiding the appearance of evil, that sounds like a pretty sound guiding scripture to me.

Fast forward to present day. Now I have no idea of what “plumb rod” young people use as a standard for their viewing of TV and movies, along with all the other gadgetry. I am guessing some guidance is given via youth ministries. BUT (bandroll, please) I have found the Bible translation that gives you leeway to just be your own guide. Sort of like in Judges when “every man did what was right in his own eyes.”

Notice Psalms 101:3 “I will not look ’with approval’ on anything that is vile.” So, I guess, you can watch any evil – -just don’t approve of it!? And I Thes. 5:22 drops “the appearance of evil” but it says to “reject evil.” So just don’t do evil, watch it if you want to, huh? Oh, you want to know which Bible? The newest NIV. I’ve griped about it before. I know I don’t have to read it. But it seems like people who know what is happening should speak up.  Just sayin’.

Does this post show you why I am so “knowledgeable” about the slipper slope.  Maybe because I’ve sat on it!

This entry was posted in change, sin, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to MORE 2nd NIV GRIPES

1. SarahC says:

got into a kjv only group, was annoying but was raised on it, depends on the preaching i think, no one seems to study the old greek and check things out? weird, and i know this is a whole nuther ball of wax, but enjoyed all your posts, and the lemonade, i think that was you?

I use NIV when for my own study and to teach from. I like it, although it has a few major problems for me. I know enough to not be bothered generally. But running on to that new version with the same label (NIV) is troublesome. I know some folks who like the NKJ, but I never used it. I got too set in my ways and avoid change now unless there is a valid reason to change. Yes, I had the lemons. I think the cable company is still having problems. I guess they are replacing something. The e-mail went off without warning but they did throw up a page that said it was off for maintenance. Hope they get it fixed. See you. Thanks for being one of my “likes.”

Oh yes. Thank you for your blog. I feel confident that where my knowledge and understanding comes from is not from ‘living in an ivory tower’ but truly sitting on the slippery slope – trying to set a plumb line for my children but gradually seeing as attitudes changed we too sat on the slippery slope. BUT ……..so far no further. There must be a return to Biblical Principles regarding morality and God’s Will. x F.

His word is the plumb line, but it can be colored by what we want it to say, so we are dishonest about what it really means. Even the Bible takes honest discernment. Let us hide the Word in our hearts that we might not sin against Him.

3. -Eugenia says:

I love this post and yes, the “slipper slope”! Very clever and well said.

4. Vernon says:

Yes we have to be careful from what we watch to what we listen too also.
    What the devil has been doing is nothing new.
    That’s why we put on the complete suit of armor because we are always under attack.
    I really appreciate this post because it’s cut and dry.

Thank you, Vernon. We are in a time of great deception for sure. Thankfully the Lord still controls and we can rely on his direction if we are honest with him. However, many times we like to cut deals or rationalize our behavior Still he is Truth.

5. We must be very careful about what we allow in our homes through a television, though all media needs to be filtered through the lens of “what is this saying?” or “what does this imply about humanity?”
    My one question though for this post is that you have gripes about “NIV,” but give no lexical, grammatical, or syntactical argument for or against a translation. I grew up memorizing in the KJV and NKJV, and used to blast the NIV readers. Then, as I studied Greek and Hebrew I found that all translations have points of contention, and if we are going to be good students of Scripture then it is not pitting translations against one another, but using them to allow us to see the nuances which are hard to bring from languages written millennia ago to our new and developing English tongue.

Hello, deeply grateful. I also am deeply grateful for the new translations of the Bible. I do return to KJ if I am thoroughly studying some theological doctrine. Mostly because it has proved itself worthy for hundreds of years. The others have not had that opportunity yet. Perhaps they will prove true to the testing of time. I still read the Living Bible at times when I am wanting quickly to renew an acquaintance with some particular Bible story. That I am doing right now as I am studying the relatively unknown kings of Judah and Israel. Mostly I study from and teach from NIV. You will notice I took issue with the “new” NIV. I question why some changes were made yet they carry the NIV name. I suppose some group of learned students worked together to agree on the translation in the first place. Did the same ones gather for editing it? Why is it not called a “new” NIV or an updated NIV. Or who made the changes based on what kind of research. I did not as you say give lexical, grammatical, or syntactical arguments regarding it. I do not have that expertise. But I did give two examples of changes that I feel may not be sound, and my reasons for not liking those two examples. Both of those instances I “ran across” without doing a comparative study. At this stage of my life I am not going to do a comparative study unless I run across something that I discern a problem with. I do not believe the Bible is a “living” document; however, I notice that translation is very helpful to people who want to move some boundaries to free themselves up a little. Do you not acknowledge that the two examples I gave open the issue of entertainment to the place that you can justify most anything. For instance, “I can watch what I want to, I just can’t approve of it?” I went to your blog and see that you call yourself a “small town pastor;” if you read very many of my posts, you will surely see how much I admire “small town pastors” and “small churches.” I maintain one cannot be a “pastor” to more than two or three hundred people no matter how much he wants to. Pastoring means taking care of the sheep not assigning someone else to do it while he preaches an hour on Sunday morning. Those people do an honorable job as a calling of God but I call it “administration.” That’s okay; it is a call of God, but it is not pastoring like I remember from the small churches. Those pastors knew me when we met in the grocery store and they stopped to ask whether I got my car running again. Just joking a bit, but I do like “small town” flavor! Thanks for running your questions by me. I like “likes” but I like comments more, and I love those that extend my thinking.

• Psalm 101:3 intrigues me. I will have to look more into why it is that way in the newest NIV. As far as the textual history behind a translation, if you would like longer sources on why translators do what they do, I can give book recommendations.
        I can explain the Greek behind 1 Thess 5:22 though. The word “appearance” is change for “form” because it gives a more accurate translation. “Form” is a category, whereas “appearance” is more of an interpretive stance.
        But, for the person who wants to try to use a verse to excuse their choices I simply have them read Philippians 4:8-9, or Mark 12:29-31 and ask if what they are viewing helps them love the Lord with their heart, soul, mind, or strength, or if it causes them to think about what is pure, lovely, honorable, or noble.

I still lean to the choice made by a group of scholars over “editorial” changes. I don’t know that that is what happened. I asked the question.
          Are you not accepting someone else as giving you the absolute best translation? If you are able to do that yourself, congratulations. However, I still lean to having a group decision based on what the original meaning was not on how culture may have changed it. I’m talking about changing the interpretation of the word, not changing the word itself. I’m all for changing the word to one that is more easily understood.

• I think we might be talking past each other here regarding translation theory.

😀 Maybe so. I guess I began enjoying the chase. Find out where it leads. I mentioned to my pastor that I did not like the revised versions of the NIV. He said he believed they had to change a certain amount of the content in order to get a new copyright. What do you think about that? From what I find online it appears to be true that the original version (1984) is no longer being published. Perhaps I was wise to be suspicious of the “edited” versions.

• A certain amount of updating is related to the change in English over the past 3 years, and a few of the other changes are due to textual related issues (which ancient manuscript is older/ more reliable). I am unfamiliar with copyright issues related to the printing of a Bible. For that possibility you would have to email the publishers.