MORE 2nd NIV GRIPES

slippery slope lrg

A way-back-when story. It was about 1953 or 54, the church was raising money for something. Sammy and I had no money but we had just bought our first TV. We decided to give the church the TV so they could sell it and keep the money. I guess a pay day must have come along because we decided we could buy back our TV from them which we did.

In the forties and fifties when television was becoming available to most people,  the “holiness/Pentecostal kinds of churches” were very cautious about watching television, especially movies.

I was especially influenced by Psalms 101:3, “I will set no wicked thing before my eyes…” Some translations said evil thing, worthless thing, (maybe others). Well, we kept the TV and we started bringing in the apparatus for hooking up movies. But, I still operated pretty well with Ps 101:3 as my guide.

I believe some made their decision about what to watch or not to watch,  based on I Thes. 5:22 about avoiding the appearance of evil, that sounds like a pretty sound guiding scripture to me.

Fast forward to present day. Now I have no idea of what “plumb rod” young people use as a standard for their viewing of TV and movies, along with all the other gadgetry. I am guessing some guidance is given via youth ministries. BUT (bandroll, please) I have found the Bible translation that gives you leeway to just be your own guide. Sort of like in Judges when “every man did what was right in his own eyes.”

Notice Psalms 101:3 “I will not look ’with approval’ on anything that is vile.” So, I guess, you can watch any evil – -just don’t approve of it!? And I Thes. 5:22 drops “the appearance of evil” but it says to “reject evil.” So just don’t do evil, watch it if you want to, huh? Oh, you want to know which Bible? The newest NIV. I’ve griped about it before. I know I don’t have to read it. But it seems like people who know what is happening should speak up.  Just sayin’.

Does this post show you why I am so “knowledgeable” about the slipper slope.  Maybe because I’ve sat on it!

This entry was posted in change, sin, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to MORE 2nd NIV GRIPES

1. SarahC says:

got into a kjv only group, was annoying but was raised on it, depends on the preaching i think, no one seems to study the old greek and check things out? weird, and i know this is a whole nuther ball of wax, but enjoyed all your posts, and the lemonade, i think that was you?

I use NIV when for my own study and to teach from. I like it, although it has a few major problems for me. I know enough to not be bothered generally. But running on to that new version with the same label (NIV) is troublesome. I know some folks who like the NKJ, but I never used it. I got too set in my ways and avoid change now unless there is a valid reason to change. Yes, I had the lemons. I think the cable company is still having problems. I guess they are replacing something. The e-mail went off without warning but they did throw up a page that said it was off for maintenance. Hope they get it fixed. See you. Thanks for being one of my “likes.”

Oh yes. Thank you for your blog. I feel confident that where my knowledge and understanding comes from is not from ‘living in an ivory tower’ but truly sitting on the slippery slope – trying to set a plumb line for my children but gradually seeing as attitudes changed we too sat on the slippery slope. BUT ……..so far no further. There must be a return to Biblical Principles regarding morality and God’s Will. x F.

His word is the plumb line, but it can be colored by what we want it to say, so we are dishonest about what it really means. Even the Bible takes honest discernment. Let us hide the Word in our hearts that we might not sin against Him.

3. -Eugenia says:

I love this post and yes, the “slipper slope”! Very clever and well said.

4. Vernon says:

Yes we have to be careful from what we watch to what we listen too also.
    What the devil has been doing is nothing new.
    That’s why we put on the complete suit of armor because we are always under attack.
    I really appreciate this post because it’s cut and dry.

Thank you, Vernon. We are in a time of great deception for sure. Thankfully the Lord still controls and we can rely on his direction if we are honest with him. However, many times we like to cut deals or rationalize our behavior Still he is Truth.