JUSTICE FOR THE “LITTLE” MAN

justice

Mr. Brown sat down on the sofa at my invitation. He placed his briefcase on his lap, and said, “This won’t take long. I understand that you were an eye witness to the accident down the street when a child, my client, was hit by a car.”

“Yes, sir,” I responded.

“The reason I am here is because in your account of the accident you say, ‘The boy stopped at the curb.  Looked both ways, then dashed out into the street.’   The word “dashed” is rather prejudicial against my client; could you use a different word to describe what the boy did?”

“Of course,” I replied, “I could say he “darted” into the street.”

His expression told me that was not what he hoped for!  He thanked me and went on his way.   ———

His visit was a follow up to an accident I had witnessed the week before.  As I was going home from work and children were going home from school, I witnessed a car hit a boy in the street.  It happened in the middle of the block, not at a corner.   I stopped.  The boy was not severely injured, but possibly had a broken leg.  I gave an account of what I had seen to the policewoman who arrived quickly on the scene.  The woman driver was very distraught.  As best I could tell, she told the story, much like my version of the story.  There was no issue of speed or any other carelessness of the driver.

I assume the boy’s family was intending to sue the woman who likely had insurance.  I  do not believe she was to blame for what happened.  I imagine they got a few thousand dollars out of the situation because the insurance would probably settle out of court for less than fighting the case.

I’m thinking of this issue today because I heard that some people are fighting Neil Gorsuch as a nominee to the Supreme Court because he “probably” is not for the “little” man.  Well, in my situation above, I was not for the little man in spite of the fact I was sorry that his poor little leg was probably broken, and I knew he hurt really badly.  And I knew he was only about nine years old, and he likely did not have a lot of experience for judging speed and distance.  And he might not have known not to cross in the middle of the block. None of those things, however, should have any bearing on what the law and justice demand.

What does the law say?  That is the purpose and duty of the members of the Supreme Court.  They are not intended to rule on the basis of “feeling sorry for the little man.”

This entry was posted in ethics, law, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to JUSTICE FOR THE “LITTLE” MAN

1. Nice POST!!! ADD my BLOG and comment my photo my birthday too!!! Kisses!!!

2. Debbie L says:

Amen! Thankful the “little” man was not seriously injured. The driver was blessed to have you as a witness!
    And may these Representatives stop being obstructionists!

Amen on you obstructionists comment! I’m so tired of getting nothing because of “men with such high principles” that they will continue to say it’s my way or nothing. And we get nothing. I’m not talking about compromise with evil – I’m talking about taking half a loaf if you can’t get the whole loaf!

• Debbie L says:

Agree!!! Isn’t it so pathetic! Never in our lifetime has there been such idiocity!!! But our country did go to war against itself….

Well, I’m still hoping. Still thinking God might need us for his end time extravaganza. As long as we can be Israel’s friend. Of course, I know God doesn’t really need our horses and chariots, but I think he takes note of the nations that honor him. But we are only doing that by hanging on to a thread it seems. Nice to know who really is the Boss, isn’t it?

• Debbie L says:

I’m so glad we know how this story of life on earth ends!!! Yes, to be here for the extravaganza! Love your thoughts! And oh how I love Israel! Just finished Joshua today as I read thru the Bible! The Israelites are so relatable! Lol
            Lord-thank You for the power of Your Holy Spirit-may You continue to pour it upon or dear President and Vice President! Keep them encouraged as they draw us closer to supporting Israel and undoing all the harm put upon Your precious nation and people! Continue to use America for Your glory! Thank You Lord for Your Amazing Grace, Love and Mercy! Amen

Beautiful prayer and I wholeheartedly joint in it. Thanks, dear. I get to feeling alone on this sometimes. There is such incredible hate and desire for revenge. Have a blessed day.

• Debbie L says:

It can be so frustrating and that is what our enemy wants!!! So I do seek and surround myself with believers as much as possible while still trying to serves as a lighthouse to the LORD!!!

3. Dawn Marie says:

What a wonderful way to share the heart ❤️ of the matter ( in both cases) which is: Truth.

Yes, Truth. Truth does sometimes hurt, but it is the best policy. A old adage from times gone by. That sort of thing if part of the reason for such outlandish high insurance premiums. Thanks for reading, Dawn.

4. Amen!!! Too often we twist justice to fit our version of grace.

5. Salvageable says:

Yes. I once had a lawyer told me that it would be convenient if I remembered the details of a certain conversation a little differently. I had no intention of trying to be convenient, only truthful. J.

Telling the truth. This is the problem when well-paid solicitors etc are by law forced to defend passionately their clients even when they know they are guilty. The bottom line today appears to be who pays the best or anything to get an insurance. I truly wonder what happens inside folks who ‘bend truth’ to bring an outcome their way that may not be deserved. I have to believe a higher JUSTICE, one day. Thank you for blog and follow-up comments too.

I sat in a Beth Moore class on Daniel last year in which she said the “Supreme Judge” does not forget one thing. What happens will be judged even if it is a long time away. The brute who assaults a child today will be judged as if it just happened. We tend to mellow as time goes by, but God will not! He is a just God as well as a merciful God. The things that put us in shock a decade or so ago, we accept today. That will not happen when Justice comes! Be blessed.

7. Pingback: Meet and Greet – April | Chape Personal Trainer

8. calensariel says:

Great post, Oneta. How many of us sitting around with our opinions actually know anything at all about these people being grilled for these positions? But I suppose my comment could also be mistaken for me having bought into the system — nothing could be further from the truth. Just looking for the firm, middle ground.

As you said “being grilled.” I wonder at the willingness of some to even accept the jobs that we need to have done. It is a rare creature that can take the “grilling.” I do know, however, that God raises up and God puts down in spite of man’s ignorance. We do have to suffer from our own choices sometimes, even if it is far down the road. Have a blessed day, Calen. (I know you have another name, but I love the one I knew from the start – Calen. So pretty.

9. Wisdom speaks, once again. Tks oneta

Your last point is one that needs to be repeated again and again. The purpose of a judge is to decide matters of law, not matter of politics. Ruling against or in favor of a plaintiff or defendant on any basis other than the law leads to (1) chaos; (2) injustice; (3) contempt for the law; or (4) all of the above. Or, so I think.

I love your summation. I would throw in another negative result – the makings of “victim-hood.” I’m the victim; I must be right. It is so sad when it takes away the truth that real victims need help. I would like to see a punishment system based on the criminal having to work and give the bulk of his/her paychecks to the person he/she has wronged! Thanks as always for your comment.