ODE TO A SMALL MESH LAUNDRY BAG

hosiery bag

In this  little mesh laundry bag

You put the things that cover your lag,

When they get so very dirty,

You don’t feel so very perty.

Insert dirty stockings in the bag

Put in machine when on washing jag

When they are washed, you put in dryer.

With washing by hand, you will not tire.

It is indeed my fondest hope,

They wash and dry leaving no stains or soap

And they will look beautiful upon your lag

When they are removed from this small bag.

If too much time with this bag you’ve spent,

And you get nothing from it but lint,

Remember this fancy hosiery bag,

Can always be used as a dishpan rag.

(I’ve been sorting and organizing my mother’s treasures which she left  – albums, scrapbooks, memorabilia.  I found this poem in my handwriting.  I doubt that anyone else wants to claim it!  Apparently I had sent her a hosiery bag with my Ode… for her amusement.  So, I’ll share.)

This entry was posted in humor, poetry, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to ODE TO A SMALL MESH LAUNDRY BAG

1. LOL! I loved this. Well done.

2. calensariel says:

Everything deserves an ode! I wrote an ode to the cornfield next to us once. Wish I could find what I did with it. They were tearing it all out to put a sub-division in! Slimey snots!

Hope you can find your “cornfield.” The muse for some topics only comes on you at very special times. Hard to redo with the same ambiance Is that word used right – or rightly? I’d better say “Good night” while I still can do that right – or rightly. 😀

I’m glad you shared it, Oneta. It’s a fun one, and proof positive that everything and anything can be grist for the poety mill.

You’ve just given me a challenge. Wouldn’t it be fun to do “free verse” about a laundry negligee bag? After all it is such a vital part of life. All I would have to do is follow the model of a seventeen year old who has just lost her very last true love. She has already lost thirteen and this was her absolutely last chance to hold on to her honest true love… “Aw bag, my bag, the only one with an amazing tight-fitting snap closure that clamped shut just like Justin’s fist clamped tightly on to my hand as I carefully threw it into the washing machine….” 😀 Linda, I know you don’t like those little smiley faces, but I didn’t know how to unwind from the emotional turmoil you flipped me into! And you don’t like exclamation marks but I …… Good night, Linda.

Thanks Oneta…it brought back memories as I read it.

Don’t tease. What about those memories? Aren’t we blessed to remember the days before the small negligee bags? It makes one appreciate the finer things in life! 😀

5. Dawn Marie says:

an adorable personalization to your gift!!