DID SHE GET HER ANSWER?

calms the child

For months, Joan’s house had been demanding more in upkeep than she could afford.  The walls seemed to move in on her each day.  She was tired of the old carpet.  She looked at everything about it with a jaundiced eye. Everything about it was getting on her nerves.  Joan had prayed, nagged, and finagled all the ways she knew to get the new house.  It was sooo dreamy and had 600 more square feet than they one she now lived in.

She would have a difficult time paying the extra monthly payment for the new house, but she knew God was a prayer answer-er!  So she diligently prayed that something would happen to make the new place possible.  She kept her faith in the Lord knowing he could make it happen.  She prayed effectually and fervently just like the Bible said to do.

Two years later Joan was still in the same house.  She looked back at the unrest that had been in her about changing houses.  She really couldn’t understand now why she had cared so much.  That new place had stairs that would have been difficult for her to climb.  She noticed that the new magazines were showing carpet just like she had was coming back in style.  She was not great at meeting new friends and she was very comfortable with old friends in her neighborhood.  If they had moved it would have cost them far more than they had to use to repair and restore this one – her long time home.  The one with all the pleasant memories; the one that the kids liked to come home to; the one that had her cozy sun room with its small but comfy book nook.

Did God answer her prayer?  I guess not in the way that she expected.  But He did still the storm that was in her.  That’s what a “Prince of Peace” does sometimes.  No change in circumstances, just a change in his child.

*********************

writers quote challenge

Our hostesses are:

Jacqueline at http://www.Acookingpotandtwistedtales.com

Joan at http://www.familyparentingandbeyoned.wordpress.com

Oneta at http://www.onetahayes.com

***************************************

Laura brought my attention to this quote in one of her posts last week so I decided to share for the Writer’s Quote Challenge.

+++++++++++++++++++

Image “pureflix.com”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writer's Quote Challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to DID SHE GET HER ANSWER?

Wonderful insightful blog. Yes indeed Prayer often changes us more than our external circumstances. The Prince of Peace is active in His Own Will and Ways. Thank you.

2. calmkate says:

It’s all about perspective, hankering after worldly things when we should be content with what we have!

3. That’s wonderful! I really enjoyed reading it.

Long ago we didn’t get the house we wanted when the deal fell through. All the bedrooms were upstairs. I’ve thought about those stairs quite a bit over the years. What a pain that would have been! Doesn’t matter anyway, that house practically fell over a few years later. Sometimes just trusting in the Lord even in the face of what looks like disappointment is a really good idea.

And the relationship we cultivate through persistent prayer is a good thing. Even if we have been praying for the wrong thing. Time spent with the Father is never wasted. It is rewarding to me to know you had a similar experience with a house issue. Thanks, IB.

4. Oneta, thank you for this story. I have a certain storm that’s been raging and feeling a bit like Joan. Your story reinforced my resolve to quit battling and trust in the Lord. He always knows better.

Your ultimate hope is for peace and a knowing that things turned out right. That you can depend on Jesus for. I’m adding your storm issue to my prayer list today, dear Jacque. You are so influential to so many, I pray this will be a testimony for you to add to your blog some day.

5. Reblogged this on a cooking pot and twisted tales and commented:
    An absolutely wonderful read. Are you Joan?

6. Bernadette says:

I think everyone has been a Joan at one time or other in their life. It is a good thing when God opens your eyes to the beauty that exists in your life.

One of the rewards of growing old, is the amazing chance to see how God has worked in one’s life. Things I never dreamed of – such as this blogging experience. Who would have ever dreamed of the pleasure it has been to me? I know you had to drop some activities recently (writer’s quote challenge); I hope things are going all right for you. Thanks, Bernadette, for your comment.

7. mukhamani says:

Yes, this happens so often. Thank you for sharing 🙂

Thank you, mukhamani. We might ought to start a motto called “Remember Joan” that would help out sometimes when we have doubts about whether our prayers are being answered. Mukhamani, I don’t know you very well. I’m going over to your blog and get better acquainted. 😀

Aw, yes. Now I remember. I love your “about,” but I didn’t see a place there to comment although there were lots of “likes.” I especially like this:”In spite of the differences there is a sameness which is fascinating.” I heard almost the same thing from someone I was talking to yesterday. I guess that is not surprising since we all had the same Creator! May He bless your goodness as you help those who are needy.

8. mandibelle16 says:

Great lesson Oneta. I very much agree with you in how God answers prayers.

Mandibelle, thanks for the comment. It is sad that so many just assume that God didn’t listen to them and give up – just thinking God didn’t care. When one looks back it is often possible to see that something better happened. 😀