SIMPLE PLEASURES

corn

Watching and waiting —

powerful allurement of

these delicate ears.

Looking healthy, but

Subject to worms, drought, and blight.

With eager heart, I’m —

Anticipating –

making silk-haired  fairy dolls

for children’s delight.

Sharing with neighbors –

Ripe ears, buttered and roasted,

On a summer night.

****************

Combining two challenges:

Colleen’s haiku challenge Use words “power” an “allure” https://colleenchesebro.com/2017/05/16/colleens-weekly-poetry-challenge-34-power-allure/

Misky’s Tuesday Twiglet    https://thetwiglets.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/twiglet-24/  delicate ears

Picture googled – gardeningjones.com

This entry was posted in Colleens weekly poetry challenge, twiglets, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to SIMPLE PLEASURES

1. Wow! These are something special. Corn silk fairy dolls… you had me there! ❤

Although my imagination runs a bit rampant sometimes 😀 I do think I remember corn husk dolls that were like fairies to me. I googled but did not find the kind I remember. I think my folks would pull part of the husks down part war then arrange the corn silk for silky hair. I don’t remember a face. I think they sometimes dressed the dolls. However by dressing them, they may have only tied ribbons or maybe a handkerchief around the ear. I worked for me however it was done! And I bet I could make it work even now for my great granddaughters. If they can believe my stick figures, my full ears of corn would be magic! 😀

2. Oh, I wished I could have one of the fairy dolls. Delightful

There’s a historical farm associated with one of our nature preserves, and one of the activities for kids there is making cornhusk dolls. I had one or two, but I tended to prefer hollyhock dolls, just because we had the flowers, and I could make a new doll whenever I wanted!

That’s interesting. I haven’t heard of hollyhock dolls. I sure would like to have a garden of hollyhocks. My mom had some but I never have. I guess they grow by seed, right? I’m going to google. Thanks for the new venture.

• shoreacres says:

They do grow by seed, and once you get them going, they’ll reseed themselves. I have a photo somewhere of a hollyhock doll, but you probably can find that online, too. In fact, here you are.

Oh, yes, beautiful – both the flowers and the dolls. Maybe I’ll remember next spring. How about a blog next March on this subject? Now that I would like from your knowledge and experience.

Yes, the hollyhock dolls were very pretty. I also checked the corn husk dolls. They only used the corn husks off the ears. I think my folks made dolls with the whole ear because they used the corn silk somehow for the hair. They were good for my imagination however it was done.

4. calmkate says:

never seen a corn husk doll! But I do love my fresh corn on the cob

Corn husk dolls. What a creative and lovely idea. Unfamiliar to me. I do have a vague childhood memory of a banana doll with 1/2 apricot hat and the banana skin shredded to make a skirt. Memories!! Thank you for the post.

6. Pingback: Colleen’s Weekly #Poetry Challenge # 35 – PAST & FUTURE – Colleen Chesebro ~ Fairy Whisperer

7. You now make me feel like roasted corn 🙂