MORE ABOUT FORGIVING

forgive

I ended my last post referring to a “snit” for which I had to ask forgiveness.  I have had to forgive situations a bit more hurtful than than.  But never like some situation which people face.

I need to address the issue of people who have to forgive very egregious things that have happened to them.  Someone brought to my attention that when Jesus said to forgive seventy times seven times, he might have been saying to forgive THE SAME INCIDENT 490 times. That is so true. Some things you have to just say “I forgive __ regarding that.” Next time it comes to mind, say the same thing. Next time, the same.   Personally, I believe the Holy Spirit will help you long before 49 times, let alone 490!

Today I think of the eight-year-old girl killed in Manchester.   Egregious!  It will be a long ole day before the perpetrators of that act apologize!   I have an eight-year-old great granddaughter.  It would take more than an simple, one time choice and saying “I forgive” for my forgiveness to be complete.  I might push the limit to 490 times!  But Jesus can help, healing can happen, even to the point of complete forgiveness.  I’ve heard some folks on TV who seem to have completely overcome any animosity toward perpetrators of violent acts to them.  I marvel at the GRACE OF JESUS in them.

This entry was posted in forgiveness, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to MORE ABOUT FORGIVING

1. calmkate says:

the father of a 20 year stabbed in a night club responded to the news team immediately after the murder “I’m a chaplain in the prison system so I pray that i get to work with this young man who killed my son so that he can heal” – it can be done!

We had a father here in Oz who watched his wife and two beautiful daughters gunned down at Port Arthur in Tasmania. Yes indeed it took him a long time to be able to forgive completely from his heart. He fell at the foot of the cross to ask for personal forgiveness for the overriding ANGER and HATRED that swamped him for the perpetrator. In time he came to the place where he would forever have ANGER AND HATRED for the actions of the gunman but honestly was able to pray for the man and in his praying for the man forgiveness flowed and his whole life was healed.
    He spoke on national TV. Forgiveness was in no way conditional upon any apology from the gunman who to this day still smirks when he is asked about the events of the terrible day.

3. judyjourneys says:

Have you seen “The Keepers” on Netflix? It is an original documentary about the murder of a nun and sexual abuse of girls by Catholic priests in Baltimore, Maryland. The main victim in this documentary went to the confessional to ask the priest to forgive her for having been abused by her uncle as a young child.

Atrocious! What an awakening is coming to some traitors when they come before the Great Judge. I’ve never watch Netflix, but this looks like a good thing to start with. Thanks.

4. Dawn Marie says:

Another thought provoking post, Oneta! I can always use such sage advise as I continue to trip-over the complexities of forgiveness…. Hugs to you for sharing your wisdom!

Forgiveness, what a divine intervention. Something that was never needed prior to us being ousted from the Garden, another aspect of God’s love brought into view just when Satan thought he had us by the throat (which in fact, he did.) Thanks for tackling it and reminding us!