DECORATION DAY

generations 2

Sadly I admit to contributing to the falling away of such things as decorating graves.  Due, I suppose, to the fact that I have no one buried within 350 miles of me.  And compounded by the lack of a decision to tell my family what to do with my shell when I’m gone.

rose wreath

Sorry I have had a part in ending the tradition of days at grandma’s house when we made crepe paper roses with which we made wreathes.  The families went to the cemetery.  I learned the importance of remembering the past and also the importance of being remembered.

Last year I decided to go to a cemetery and at least pay respects to the souls who have in some way contributed to my blessings even if I did not know them.  Pioneers, town builders, crop planters, cattle raisers, record keepers, SS teachers. grave diggers, soldiers, mayors, and street cleaners.  To all these and more, I remember and I am thankful.

I purpose again to leave something worthy to this world when I am gone.  Written words and prayers will last;  I hope those close will remember a tender touch. It won’t be very significant to many people; neither will it last for centuries.  But it will be worthwhile if I leave a Christian heritage to the four generations with whom I have influence.  And it will last for a thousand generations if each generation does its part in carrying on this influence.   Deuteronomy 7:9-10  “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commands.”

This entry was posted in Decoration Day, family, generations, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to DECORATION DAY

1. I bet the younger generations have no idea as to what “Decoration Day” is—!!!
    But it’s what this country did long before we forgot what our priorities were!
    Happy Decoration Day Oneta

2. A lovely memory of what you once did and it’s okay for others to continue where you left off and carry on this tradition of remembrance. ❤️

I’m sure I am still “making memories” for someone. Seems odd though that my image of a great-grandmother seems so different from how I see myself! 😀 Sharon, have we talked before? I’m going to have to go check you out again. If I haven’t checked your follow, I will do so.

I did visit and became a follower. Looks like a worthwhile blog in which to spend some time. 😀

• We have Oneta, perhaps once or twice, and thank you so much for viewing my blog. It’s summer time and the days are a bit slower for me. I hope you hear from me more. 🙂

😀 I love the e-mail notices that WP provides so we can keep up with those whose blogs we particularly value.

• I was wondering if you’re able to select specific notices. I have mine off as I just could not keep up with all the blogs I follow and cleaning up the emails. I try to periodically check in. Do you know by chance?

Sharon, I do end up having to clear out my e-mail sometimes – I hate to do that. My priorities are first off to answer all bloggers who leave me comments, such as this right now. My second goal is to keep up with the people who leave me likes. I also comment on that group if I can. Then there are those who read my posts or visit my blog who do not leave me a paper trail. I don’t know whether or not I reach them. I also check almost all new followers. I seldom mark those who I know are just out to expand their businesses. I don’t blame them, but at this stage of my life, I buy at Walmart! Kidding a bit. I do follow back on most especially if they are relatively new bloggers. I do check a lot of bloggers’ books but I am quite picky about language in books so I’m careful, also there are genres I just don’t like so I don’t check them out.
              I have those I follow in my reader divided into three groups. Those I read read immediately, those I read daily, and those I read weekly.I try to be sure I read at least three to five posts from each per week. If they are on my weekly notice, I read at least three posts from that week. Some more if I have time and am inclined to do so. I read the daily list generally three (sometimes four) times a week, but I mostly read only one post each day, except for short posts such as haiku, flash fiction, etc. I seldom read any that have more than about 800 words.
              As I said before, those bloggers who leave comments and seek a lot of interaction, I love and give priorities and I probably have more of my “likers” on my immediate notification list and read as many as I can. Sometimes like today, I did not post but I have read for about five or six hours. Obviously I cannot do that every day. But I only have about eight people left on my daily list. I’ll catch them before bedtime!
              I hope this might help you. Sometimes you just have to do the best you can and give up, delete, and start anew. But it is better to try some system that is workable for you than to throw in the towel and decide blogging is just too much! (I also on occasion un-follow some bloggers with whom I do not have much in common.) My choice is to have a “blogging community” rather than a large number whom I follow, or who follow me.

• Oneta you have lots of wonderful points, and thank you so much for taking the time to write this helpful list of ideas. I enjoy the community aspect as well, and I think what I might be able to do is just sign up for emails for specific sites–if possible. It’s sometimes difficult to try and catch up in the reader and I have noticed some sites never really show up in my reader. So I make it a point to just go to their sites. Anyways thank you so much for taking the time to share you blogging insights. You might even consider making this a post–tips for blogging as others may find this helpful. Sometimes I notice a rash of likes on my blog–like several–can they have possibly read several that fast? Lol. I cannot–my eyes are terrible and my added bifocals do not help all that much. I have to position them a certain way. And for these likers, I call them lighting likers. Lol. Like you, I would prefer meaningful dialogue. Wishing you all the best. 🙂

Thank you, Sharon. I talked all around your question, didn’t I? Actually I think if you mark a “follow” you will get a e-mail unless you turn the switch off in your reader. 😀

3. Salvageable says:

A year ago, my daughter–then thirteen–suggested we do something meaningful for Memorial Day, by which she meant honor soldiers who gave their lives for the United States. We did not bring decorations, but we did visit a military cemetery, making the day very meaningful for the family.
    By the way, a thousand generations have not yet passed since Adam and Eve were created. God’s blessings are eternal! J.

That was very thoughtful of your daughter. I’m sure that was a “making memories” moment for her. Yes, a thousand generations is “under-speak” for the length of God’s love, isn’t it? Thanks for pointing that out.

I also believe that our prayers are a legacy that God remembers, and answers, even after we have shed our “shells”. Hooray for that!!

I’m so glad to see your wreath. I never have seen anything like that: it’s just lovely. Like you, none of my family is anywhere near — whether living or dead — so my remembrances of them have to be just that: in memory, and not in person. Still, there’s something right on Memorial Day about attending any observances. Even the men and women we never knew, and whose names we’ll never know, fought for us — despite not knowing us. I happen to think (still!) that the country is going to hold together, but adding a little extra glue of remembrance doesn’t hurt.

I googled the wreath, but it was a lot like I remember, except that I remember them as more colorful – maybe they mixed the colors. Also this wreath is “packed” with more roses. I guess we had a lot to fix for! It is good to have a day that pulls us to a bit more unity. The parades were beautiful, but I didn’t watch very much. I still swell up with the Red, White, and Blue! Did you notice Salvageable’s comment above about his daughter? Some of our young people are still recognizing the honor with which our soldiers fought and gave their lives.

Thank you I too remember the times when we would regularly put flowers on the graves of departed loved ones. Now, I value still seeing wreaths and tributes. Prayers as Dawn/Liz wrote are indeed the legacy we can give through the years. Thanksgiving to God for those gone. For my shell when I’m gone I really think I would rather be cremated and scattered across the sea. Even if the funeral is memorable I’ll be gone and following the Shepherd by and in His Grace for ever.

One thing of which I am confident – God can reconstruct me from whatever state I’m in. I take flights of fancy sometimes. Image him having a great storage bank with a sample of DNA from each of us! Now, Faye, you know I get pretty creative sometimes! Somebody might give me a prompt sometime which gives me opportunity to pursue this “plot” for a story! My Creator; Your Creator, Amazing Creator.

7. God's Blog says:

🌸 You are such a blessing to this generation and to the generations to come! Christian heritage 👍😇! Thank you for that! 🙂

8. Dawn Marie says:

We spent the morning of Memorial Day doing what I’ve watched the 2 generations before me do….Preparing the grave-sites of loved family members for another year of visitors. Always feels like I’m a woman sitting outside of His tomb…. How glorious to know one day my loved ones shall rise up & rejoin their shell too.

9. You words are true and honest. I stopped grave visiting years ago. I remember those I love and I place flowers in my home for them on their anniversaries. I know then the flowers will last and be unharmed. My loved ones are not at the grave they are in the heavenly planes and just a thought aways from me always if I wish to contact them or they me. It is important to remember they are with us always. Blessings

What a nice idea! There is no place as important as the home to remember those who have passed this life. If they were to be able to come back, they would certainly prefer a chat at my table rather than a visit at the grave! Looking with thankfulness to a future together.

10. Debbie L says:

My husband grew up watching his mom, year after year, going to the family cemetery to “decorate” the graves. She is a WWII veteran herself! An army nurse!

She must have had interesting life. Maybe that contributed to your love of travel. Is she still living. If not, is she at a site where you can visit. My mom is buried 350 miles from me so my visits with her are rare. However, as someone above gave me the idea of buying flowers for her and keeping them in my house. I like that. I’m sure if she could visit me she would know she could find me at home easier than at he cemetery.