WAS THAT ALL…?

old woman

Gladys remembered the past when she was a willowy graceful figure climbing the scaffold of success, aware of the wolf whistles she would be receiving that day.  Vim, vigor, and vitality abounded in her blood!  She was a hot tomato.  But her youthful beauty was only a scaffold – a temporary structure holding her up above the “common” girls of her day.

However, life had been a nectarine, a delightful sight to see and taste – for a time, a very short time.  Now it had shriveled.  The skin was now dry, wrinkled, and loose.  She was a desire for no one.  In despair, she realized her life was now a mimeomia, a frustrating stereotype of  an old beaten down woman, seeking to hide in seclusion.  Plenty of time now to consider the question, “Was that all life is?”

***********

Bible James 4:13-17  –  Because life is a vapor we should humble ourselves before God and obey His will.

***********

Wordle   Use at least ten in a story:  blood, despair, woman, seek, seclusion, willowy, beaten, aware, nectarine, scaffold, wolf, mimeomia

This entry was posted in Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie, Uncategorized, wordle and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to WAS THAT ALL…?

1. But her youthful beauty was only a scaffold – a temporary structure holding her up above the “common” girls of her day.

Fabulous!

It is so hard to appreciate what we have when we have it. I feel each stage of life has its lessons and gifts

2. calmkate says:

very well written Oneta, a nice take on life .. 🙂

3. weejars says:

A poignant, beautiful piece .

4. oneta hayes says:

Thanks, calmkate, for your comment.

Ha! I couldn’t figure out why I’ve never heard mimeomia, and couldn’t find it in the dictionaries. It’s a made-up word! Nothing wrong with that, I suppose — at least you found a way to use it, and did so rather creatively, at that!

Yep, Linda, I had to go further than that definition also. So I googled to find it used in sentences, and found (as you probably did) that article on Ten Made Up Words.

I see another word hit the dictionary today as a result of Pres. Trump’s tweet using “covfefe.” I guess it means coverage. I’m not sure about what was going on. But one is pretty important if he can make a word with one use! One of my typos will probably not be world changing.
      And thanks for lauding my use of the made up word. Just call me a mimeomia, a common stereotype of an out-of-date English teacher greatly frustrated by the urban dictionary’s acceptance of “text” words! 😀 But come to think of it I used “hot tomato” – an acceptable phrase according to the urban dictionary.

A thought provoking well written piece of writing. I’m glad you are inspired by challenges of words and sentences. What a powerful truth. What we are inside is what most needs the care. Thank you.

Thank you, Faye. If one only gets their satisfaction by their physical beauty, she will too often fine themselves emotionally bankrupt when the outer beauty is gone. I have your Ashes book. I’ve read about 20% of it. I’m enjoying it. I give more comment when I finish. So far I find your characters well presented. I haven’t figured out just how your plot is developing. That’s as it should be. 😀 A bad thing for me is that I bought the book. I read faster if I have a borrowed book. When I own it, it gets put off easier. Your plot is drawing me, however. 😀

7. Dawn Marie says:

You write some of the best word-challenges I know!! Hugs to you for sharing Your ‘gift’ with all of us!!!

Here I am being feed more delightful Dawn Marie delicacies. Thanks, dear. Sometimes I am very pleased with my outcome; other times, I punch that publish button with anxiety.. This one was pleasing to me.

8. Debbie L says:

What a rich post! But you got me so I looked up my new word: mimeomia
    n. the frustration of knowing how easily you fit into a stereotype, even if you never intended to, even if it’s unfair, even if everyone else feels the same way—each of us trick-or-treating for money and respect and attention, wearing a safe and predictable costume because we’re tired of answering the question, “What are you supposed to be?”
    Love it!

I had to go further and ask to see the word in sentences before I had courage to use it! Found out it is a “made-up” word. Whatever that means! But I did like it in my post. We all sooner or later find ourselves amazing like everybody else who is frustratingly like us! 😀

• Debbie L says:

I found a meaning – which fits your story. Very clever word. I think it’s “real” now, like #covfefe!

The person who gave the prompt included the meaning, but I was a frustrated old lady, in other words I was a mimeomia! And I like covfefe. Of course, I like Trump. We have a real live energizer bunny in the white house. He sure gives his critics the run-a-round. They never get past checking moles – even when there are no moles. 😀 He’s tackling Air Traffic Control today. WOW. But folks I am are still listening to the moles.