WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT A ZIPLOC BAG

baggie

Yes, that’s me, washing a Ziploc bag.  My peers and I laugh with each other at the things we do to save a penny.  Well, we actually don’t to it to save a penny; we do it to save waste.  We do it because we were raised with sayings such as:  “Waste not, want not,”   “A penny saved is a penny earned,”  or who could forget “Eat your peas.  Think of all the starving children in China.”

We squirm when we see “dieters” eat a third of a candy bar then toss the rest away, or a thirsty customer pay $1.69 for a Mountain Dew at the Walmart counter (24 oz?) when they just walked past the aisle where the 64 oz was $l.49!  Or, heaven forbid, some pay $2.89 for a bag of cut lettuce when they could buy a head for $1.19 and cut up enough for five equal size bags.  Of course, a couple of those bags might rot and be thrown out, but they would still save $4.59 for 15 minutes of work.  😀  (And you could just stuff yourself with lettuce instead of ice cream. Then, no waste and smaller waist.)

Now if we would pretend to be doing it for the sake of being “green,” we could be heroines in the sight of some.  But the truth is that we don’t care much for that reason. Sorry, folks.  I’m just being honest.

Those “green” folks would ridicule us just for doing it to save a few dollars per year.  If I wash a gallon bag 15 times in a year, I would save $7.36 – $5.52 for a quart size.  (See more here).  That is, if I wash them in a dishwasher.  I haven’t done that but I think I will now that I know.  My dishwasher is seldom full when I wash dishes so I could do a few without extra cost.  Maybe save a whole dishwasher full in a year!  Now I wash and rinse then throw them in the freezer so they will remain clean until I use them again – if I remember they are there.

I was surprised at the fact that a Ziploc bag can be used sixteen time before the seams come apart. I googled that but I didn’t keep that link. I only use them a few times for keeping veggies, and I don’t reuse them when I have stored meat in them.  I’ve been wasting them while bragging on myself for my frugality.

So my resolve today is to try out the dishwasher thing for washing Ziploc bags.  If it works, I will even save those I have used for meat storage.  I will number the bags and make a log so I can keep track of how many times for each bag and use them right up to number 15 – I’ll not take a chance on using them sixteen times.  I don’t want one to break and spill all my grapes on the floor, or run icky blood in my meat tray!  Okay, folks, I’m just joking about numbering them and keeping a log!  😀

“Green” folks, don’t you love me now!  I’m still great on the “waste not, want not,” however.  So don’t go throwing any of your peas down the drain.  After all there are still starving children in China!  Or, are there?

This entry was posted in environment, going "green", humor, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT A ZIPLOC BAG

1. Ha! Fun post! See, you were trendy and fashionable long before green was even a thing. Look at all the trouble you’ve started…… 🙂

Hooray, what good news! I thought I would die without being of any real significance to the world. Now I see my great influence. Thank you, thank you, thank you. In case I leave the world before you do, do me a favor and remind my blogging friends of my big stir-up. 😀

2. atimetoshare.me says:

I always wondered what difference it would make if I ate all my peas. Children in China would still be starving while I grew fatter.

I guess a six-year-old is supposed to make a connection to be thankful for having something to eat. In that day we did not have moms who dished out whatever the child demanded. It was eat it or go hungry! I think I really did have some empathy when that was said to me; I might even have eaten my peas. I know I always remembered the missionaries who had been to our church, so maybe there was some good from it. I’m sure very few would be motivated by anything like that now-a-days. Thanks for running that comment by me. Made me think further. 😀

3. frankhubeny says:

It is good to reuse things.

I agree. You should just see all my “stuff” I’m going to reuse or re-purpose some day! Don’t know if it is worth the storage space until I do it. 😀

4. what a cool thing…do let me know if the dishwasher thing works—
    It is kind of funny or perhaps even sad the extent we will often go in one area while acting overtly egregious and wanton in other areas…
    much to ponder here Oneta 🙂

5. lisakunk says:

I like to rinse my lettuce bags too. No meat. Storing clean bags in the freezer is a new one on me. I think I like you. Do you like me? Check yes or no. Just kidding. I’m looking forward to reading your humorous pieces. I’m mostly a humor writer myself. Life provides so much fodder. Oh my goodness, there are so many postings. I’d better get started. Good job.

Oh, my, I love you already. Check yes or no just grabbed this old fourth grade teacher’s heart. Thnaks, dear, for recognizing my humor right off the bat. But sometimes I am dead serious. You will recognize the difference. 😀

6. I do that too. Especially putting them in the freezer. Thanks for sharing.

7. judyjourneys says:

Oneta, I have been putting them in the dishwasher for years. I’m with you on simple ways to save money. I still pick up a penny on the roadside too.

We share a lot in common,don’t we? I put on in the dishwasher tonight but will not run yet. I always wash my dishes then put in dishwasher. When it gets full I wash a short wash. I am anxious to see how it come out. A lot of time some plastics do not dry. Do the Ziplocs? Inside and out?

How good to know I’m not alone. I wash the zip lock bags and tend to re-use them until they lock no more. I have always hated waste in any shape or form and clean washed bags hung over upturned glass tumblers and dried in the sun have always been a part of the ‘funny’ things I have done sort of quite naturally. Thanks for the Blog.

Good morning, Faye. You are way ahead of me. I will try the bit about putting them over glasses. I’m short on time today because I’m going to my sister’s. Plan to spend the night with her. Probably be back to blog tomorrow. 😀

9. Hehe! I think some of my parents sayings wore off on me too – for me it was ‘starving orphans in Africa’ – I remember asking my parents if i could send my food to them through the post…maybe not what my parents were aiming for with their comments!
    But I do reuse ziplock bags, plastic bags etc… I also reuse glass jars – here in Spain all the beans and chickpeas etc are sold in glass jars. i wash and store them and reuse them, until we have no more space for empty jars…the ones not being used, then get recycled! …then the cycle begins again! Thanks for the fun post!
    Take care
    – Carly

You, like I, were probably not given my choice about what to eat. No way would my mother have fixed chicken for part of the family and mac and cheese for others. Except of course, for those who did not have teeth! I thought jars sounded like a good idea until I remembered I throw away peanut butter, jelly, and mayo jars because I don’t want to wash. So maybe not. They would take a lot of space. Some time along the line you would have to say, “no more.”

10. Awesome post! Gave me a laugh for today! Thanks

11. Debbie L says:

Really? I’ll reuse our ziploc baggies a few times. Now I’ll save more money.
    It’s funny, my husband and I would cringe when we’d help his mom (when she was in her 80s) clean up after she had us over for dinner. She’d say, just put that leftover in a baggie. We’d pull the box out and it was stuffed with “dirty” bags-crumbs mind you. She’d say she was recycling! Ugh we’d NEVER do THAT – until we retired. Then we’d at least wash them out! Lol

I wasn’t very happy with my baggie which went through the dishwasher. I believe I will just stick to washing them out under the faucet. My husband likes to use bread wrappers, but the crumbs bother me also. 😀 And I’m still going to store my used bags in the freezer because I don’t want to dry them out. Hard to change at my age! 😀

• Debbie L says:

I’ve been storing mine in the freezer, too. I wrote on them when it’s a regular freezer item. So I searched and searched for my frozen banana baggie. Figured hubby must have tossed it-then found it in the banana “drawer” – where I keep fresh bananas! Laughed as I thought of your story! We no longer use a dishwasher! But I was curious.

12. Salvageable says:

My children try to sneak the plastic bags into the garbage when they (the bags) have been put by the sink to be washed and reused. My sensible frugality is not being passed on to the next generation. J.