BUDGET #4

budget 1

Well, dear readers, I am stymied! I can’t prove by the Bible what I was going to present as my reason number four that God sometimes does not seem to be Jehovah-Jireh, God our Provider.  So I have no reason number four, but I’d like to explain what I thought I was going to say.  😀  😀

My thought was that God sometimes tests us by allowing us to be in need in order to make us realize our dependence on him. I can’t prove that. Even in Job’s case I cannot prove that he suffered from a lack of food, home, or clothing, even though he suffered devastating losses of all his wealth.

In fact it seems that he did not suffer from lack of his “necessities.” The home he lived in is not mentioned among his loses.   The sons and daughters were killed in the home of the elder brother.     Job 6:6,7 sounds like he didn’t like his food, but he must have had some.  He tore up one garment and put on sackcloth, but that was something he decided to do as a sign of his suffering.  He must have had an extra hanging in the closet.  He sat on the ground with his friends.  But I can’t prove it was because he didn’t have a couch left.  The best I can tell his wife was still up to par with her home affairs – and her nagging.  Losing her kids must have been a bit trying, however.  So she had some room for complaining. The point of all this is that I can’t prove that even Job went hungry as a part of his afflictions  – as a part of his testings.

The nearest I can come to proving my point about a Christian being in hunger is that Paul said he had been “in hunger” (NIV), but even that is not all that evident in KJ.  And it wouldn’t prove it was a test anyway.

So my theory than God might withhold basic necessities as a test of one’s faith was made only on the basis of what I see in life, not what I see in the Word.  In other words, my theory (reason number four) is not worth the paper I was going to write it on!  😀

Boy, have I gotten myself into hot water!  But thank you, Holy Spirit, for keeping me scriptural!  I give up.  Even in devastating times, tornadoes, disease, job loss, we can trust God to “give us this day, our daily bread.”

JEHOVAH-JIREH (the one who sees and who provides); you were, you are, and you forever will be. Thank you.

This entry was posted in budget, God's provision, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to BUDGET #4

1. judyjourneys says:

Perhaps, God knows that we need to be hungry in order to understand hunger.

2. Jackie says:

God DOES provide. He provides what we need – salvation through belief and trust in his Son, Jesus; hope of the eternal now of his presence; and a future in glory. The rest, as they say, is gravy.

Affliction, want, trials come because we live in a fallen world, one that Satan believes he owns (although his day of final defeat is coming.) Jesus never promised we wouldn’t be tried. Indeed, he says “In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” That is the true provision – the overcoming of all through and with Jesus.

Interesting series you have going! Looking forward to more.

Right on all counts, Jackie. Thanks for extending my thoughts. The very root of the word Jehovah-Jireh was set in the provision of a ram to Abraham for sacrifice. That is the spiritual angle of which you speak. I believe Jesus’ feeding the crowds by a miracle and including “daily bread” in his model prayer supports his desire that his people do not go without basic needs. Thanks for your comment.

3. mandibelle16 says:

I agree with you Oneta. As tough as it is to go without at times. I always realize what I really really need, God always provides 🙂

I believe the story of Job is to remind us always that the Deceiver (Satan) is always out to steal from us the blessings of God our Provider. The coming of Christ and the salvation we now have means that the greatest Gift of all is our destination ……..not the journey….but…..He will (I believe) always supply what we need to travel if He has commissioned or called us. If we allow P.L.O.M (poor little old me) to get in the way then ‘self’ becomes the purpose for our ‘need’. Worship (like Job) came even in his need. If only we could all learn to ‘surrender’ to the Will of God for us in all circumstances we would only want what He wants for us, to full HIS Purposes not our own agenda. . Thanks for your challenges, Oneta.

5. Salvageable says:

Praise God for a Christian who searches the Scriptures… and allows them to change her mind! J.

It is a fearful thing to stand as one who teaches God Word without honesty, a reasonable knowledge of the Bible, a strong dependence upon direction from the Lord, and a submission to him.. (James 3:1-2) I thank you.