FLAT ON THE FLOOR

flat on floor

In the interest of full disclosure, let me say this is not me (I don’t wear gloves) and a few things I tell in this story are a bit exaggerated.

Let me say first it was worth it! I am glad to have given God his laugh for the day.

I’m not saying I have the words of God about how one ought to position themselves for prayer! I do not think it makes him much difference what posture I am in when I talk to him. But I care.  In my background prayer was a kneeling down affair.  There became a time when I liked to lie prone on the floor to pray.  (My niece described this as “the joy of being flat out before Him like a lizard sucking water out of the carpet” – Is that how you said it, Yolanda?)

With that in mind I will tell this incident.

As I sat on my chair in the corner, Bible in hand, looking at the floor, I contemplated days of yore when I could lie on the floor to pray.  I was sure I could still do that but the “getting up” part – now that might be a problem.  But maybe, in faith I could do it.  I remembered a verse “…in you my soul takes refuge.  I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings…”  To be under his wings, what a nice place to be.

To be under his wings would surely entail being down as low as I could go. “Well,” I reasoned, “if I pay close attention to how I get down, I can just reverse the procedure when I need to get back up.”  One knee down, next knee down.  Support on hands. Extend one leg back, extend other knee back.  Down on elbow, one at a time.  Straighten arm one, then straighten arm two.  There, I’m down – flat.

I’m sure after all that the Lord will help me in an extra measure since I went out on a limb  – make that, went flat on a floor – to demonstrate my desire for a new spark in my devotions this morning. I reached for my kindle which, fortunately, I had remembered to put within reach.  I went to You Tube,  put on “Under His Wings,” by three different coral groups.  Listen, how blessed I am.  Pray, sing, enjoy being flat out before the Lord.  Blessed time.

As I said, it was good. Time to get up, remember -just reverse the procedure. I pushed up on elbows, (now what?) one knee forward, oops, try again, one knee forward.  Whoo.  Next knee.  Now stand up one leg at a time.  I’m reminded that gravity pulling my weight was very helpful in getting down but not at all in getting up.  Finally groped around enough to reach my cane to support my rising again, and discovered a brand new lesson. It takes muscle to get up even with a cane.  Crawfish on knees to get to a chair to push up on.

Was it worth it? Yes, but I’m sure going to try to learn how to “flatten my soul” even with a body that sits in the chair!

This entry was posted in humor, prayer, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to FLAT ON THE FLOOR

1. calmkate says:

you are a treasure 🙂

2. simpledimple says:

Beautiful. Loved this piece. I learn each time I read your work. God bless you. 🙂

3. this is priceless Oneta!!
    I would have loved to be a fly on the wall—and boy do I love that analogy of being a low down lizard sucking water out of the carpet low….as He does indeed deserve our utmost humility and respect…and oh how He enjoyed yall’s time tougher in “prayer” and exercise 😉

4. Salvageable says:

Thank you for providing today’s smile. J.

5. luckyjc007 says:

An amusing picture comes to mind 😁 Years passed can change many things and everyone needs to make adjustments which I’m sure would be acceptable.

Better to laugh at what I can’t change. However, I shouldn’t accept things that I know I can change – but they require washing my face every night, saying no to eating to much, doing a reasonable amount of exercise, walking without my walker. I use it too much just because it is easier. Well, luckyjc, you made me think too much! 😀

I enjoyed this picture and prayer journey with you. Made me think of all the very old muslim men who believe they have to lie flat on the floor. (The hidden women probably would not be allowed). I have (when I was younger appealed to the Lord by flat out prayer). I do not believe that Jesus or His disciples prayed that way. It is always a question of purity of heart. If He leads a certain way and the heart is pure……wow the blessings and in your case the laughs as well. Bless you!

Most definitely I do not think Jesus cares about the position of the body most of the time. But if ones refuses to kneel because of pride, I think it would matter. Jesus knows that. Some have suggested that lying prone is not necessary, and I agree, but I point out that in the Garden of Gethsemane “Jesus fell on his face” which sounds to me like he was lying prone on the ground. Anyway I think I could prove all positions – sit, stand, “flat on the ground,” lying in bed, hanging on a cross – are scriptural. And I think none of them matter if the heart is not penitent and filled with pride.

7. Dawn Marie says:

Giggled the whole way through! Faith does move mountains…and apparently our bodies too!😉 Warm hugs for your tenacity of spirit!!😘